Outdoors
Sponsored by

NW80 rant!!

7,097 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm old and tried braided line for the first time!
I hate that $h!t!!!!
You cannot bite it off!!!
Make fun of me!
Old man yelling at clouds, etc.
I'm going back to Trilene!!!
"F" that stuff!!!
Badace52
AG
Not gonna argue, I hate that **** too.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rock08
AG
I think the exact opposite. Haha.

I put braid on everything, kids reels included!

Power pro baby
SharkinAg
AG
Braid has it's places. But I usually prefer mono as well. I love braid for fish like sheepshead where the bite is soft and they are around barnacles.
Aggieangler93
AG
Besides thinking you could bite stranded kevlar, which, when woven, will stop a bullet, BTW, do you have any other complaints?

Braid can be a game changer in the right application.

What were you fishing for, and how?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There are only 2-3 times I hate braid:

When you're wading and need to cut it
When you're snagged on a reef/log/etc that would normally snap with mono
When you first start tying it (not really an issue, just had to change knots)

Other than that, I absolutely love it!
Log
AG
NW80 said:

I'm old and tried braided line for the first time!
I hate that $h!t!!!!
You cannot bite it off!!!
Make fun of me!
Old man yelling at clouds, etc.
I'm going back to Trilene!!!
"F" that stuff!!!

Solid rant. I stand with the old geezers, since I'm rapidly approaching that status. I'm grumpy, and don't care who knows it.
sunchaser
AG
It's hard enough to train these young guys much less you and log. Shell our some of that Dr money and go buy some Owner Super Cut scissors for about $12. The part where you will need additional training is tying a Crazy Alberta Knot for the shock leader. Then you can go back to biting mono. Seaguar is the best as their red label has a minty flavor.
Salt of the water
AG
sunchaser said:

It's hard enough to train these young guys much less you and log. Shell our some of that Dr money and go buy some Owner Super Cut scissors for about $12. The part where you will need additional training is tying a Crazy Alberta Knot for the shock leader. Then you can go back to biting mono. Seaguar is the best as their red label has a minty flavor.

Imagine if a body had easy access to extremely sharp scissors designed to cut well when it's a life a death situation!
NW80
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Besides thinking you could bite stranded kevlar, which, when woven, will stop a bullet, BTW, do you have any other complaints?

Braid can be a game changer in the right application.

What were you fishing for, and how?
Bass and was fishing soft plastics ( worms, etc.)
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Solid rant. Only wrong part is the Trilene. Suffix is a better product.
dubi
dubi
AG
An actual outdoors post that didn't say "fishing is outdoors" in the thread title.
aggiedent
AG
You're NEVER suppose to bite fishing line. It's what knives are for. Look carefully at my user name before you argue.
GSS
Braided line backlashes can be epic! And more challenging to undo. A toothpick or similar item might be needed to snag the obstinate portions of the mess...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a chipped tooth that is proof biting mono for years is not wise.

I use braid for trolling, extra line capacity in salt water, and if I need a lot of feel on the line. If not I use mono.
birddog7000
AG
If you wouldn't have waited 15 years to try it you wouldn't be so old and stuck in your ways!
Aggieangler93
AG
Don't get me wrong, I am older and grumpier too now. I can admire a good rant with the best of them. I just don't have any issues with braid. I was never a line biter anyway. I always carry line snips on a lanyard, so when I switched to braid, I now carry the super scissors on a lanyard instead.

If the backlashes are an issue, you need to make sure you put it on the reel fairly tight when you load the spool. If you are a line biter, I can see where the inability to do so, would make you angry.

The sensitivity of braid, for me, is worth any of the other minor issues with it, from time to time. I cannot imagine going back to mono for saltwater use.

Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SanAntoneAg
AG
I'm old and I love the braid.
Gig 'em! '90
EFE
AG
I keep a pair of these in my tackle bag that a nurse lady friend gave me a few years back, surely you can have one of your nurses nick you a set.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Quote:

Imagine if a doctor had easy access to extremely sharp scissors designed to cut well when it's a life a death situation!

FIFY
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Sharpen up those dentures.

Might as well use a rubber band for line if going with mono.

AgsMnn
AG
Was a good rant.

Log
AG
Dammit. I just ran across this while searching for a thread I posted for braid recommendations. Just shy of two weeks before he passed. Almost two years ago. Here.
76Ag
AG
Works very well for me. No line memory and casts well. I use a flour carbon leader and backing on the reel. I've never bitten the line. I use small cutters I bought at bass pro shops.
sunchaser
AG
The good doctor tried the flourcarbon leader one time and said it dissolved on him in a manner of seconds.

I miss my friend and when the phone rings at 3:00am I always think it's going to be Neel.
dr_boogs
AG
Here. Bit of the OB died with NW80.
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Great thread bump.

And also great to see a Sunchaser post.

cupofjoe04
AG
Here.
Good to fondly remember the OB legend.
sunchaser
AG
Thanks and it's about time you post some pictures from your peacock bass trip to Manaus...
EFE
AG
I was legitimately excited and confused when I saw Doc's handle and a thread pop up. Then I read the rant and remembered telling him to get a nurse to steal him some suture scissors.
87Flyfisher
AG
When they made Doc, they broke the mold. (and told the mold maker to never do that again). Miss him and his rants. I think he still holds the all time rum consumption record at El Pescador Belize.
Gilligan
AG
sunchaser said:

I've been using a blood knot for my leaders. Have yet to have one fail. Will try this Alberta knot out.
EFE
AG
I use crazy Albertos to tie flouro leader into braid offshore for mangroves, black fin and other tackle wary species. Fish with confidence.
arrow
AG
Doc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.