Outdoors
Sponsored by

Guadalupe River Fishing - North of Canyon Dam

1,205 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by poet0715
poet0715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and a buddy are taking the kayaks out for a day of fishing this Saturday. Putting in at Nichols Landing and taking out at either 311 or Rebecca Creek Crossing - haven't decided yet.

Just wanted to see if the OB has any experience/advice for this section of river.

What time of day is best? Any spots that will need to be portaged? Go to lure/bait?

Thanks in advance.
Gunny456
AG
My great grandfather homesteaded a ranch on the Guadalupe just north of the Rebecca Creek crossing in the late 1800's. My dad had land on the west side of the river and that is where I grew up just upstream from what is called Rusk Falls. I am not familiar with Nichols Landing but there is a long stretch of still deep water before you get to Rusk Falls that is a couple of miles long or so. Lots of good fishing along that route. This area would be way downstream from the 311 crossing. The river is flowing good right now..if you decide to go to Rebecca Creek be aware that you have to go through the chute that is to the left of Rusk Falls...dont stay to the right as it will take you over the falls.
Up until I was 16 or so we seldom saw people ever on that part of the river.....it was truly a novelty to see anyone on a canoe and never a kayak in those days. That was many years ago..........lots of good memories growing up on that river....saw lots of floods also. In 1978 it was the highest ever..was three foot in our house.
Have fun and be safe.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Ultralight. Beetle Spins, small senkos, small topwaters, roadrunners, etc. In the hill country creeks and rivers, crappie jigs and small twister tails produce. Plus, they are cheap and no big loss when you get hung up.

In this heat, fish will be most active early and late.
poet0715
AG
Thanks for the information, guys.

I grew up going to the Upper Guadalupe River above Ingram Dam so I am much more familiar with that stretch. When we were there recently, fishing conditions and bite was best from 9AM to 11AM. The afternoon/evening runs we went on were definitely much slower.

Even if the fishing is slow, we are looking forward to this run big time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.