Outdoors
Sponsored by

Man confronts Momma Bear in Cades Cove (Great Smoky Mountain Park)

5 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
ToddyHill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Momma bear and her 3 cubs

He's very fortunate she didn't attack him.
ought1ag
AG
what a fool
zooguy96
She bluffed, huffed and stopped. He's a dumbass.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Dumbass, on multiple levels
dr_boogs
AG
Been there. 2001. Was stuck in a bumper to bumper line of cars for 3 hours getting through the scenic drive because of a bear and her 2 cubs. You can't imagine the foolishness that people were participating in with the bears. Out of the cars, approaching them, turning their back on the bears for close ups. Just like the video. Wow. Just wow.
ursusguy
AG
Fyi, he's really not in that much danger. That is truly the normal extent of an encounter with a black bear sow with cubs. They put on a show, but rarely actually make actual physical contact.

Stupid, but not overly dangerous.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Was finishing up on a trail there in 2015. I had already sidestepped a snake, I think a small timber rattler. We were coming down a somewhat steep and rocky trail after hiking most of the day when this group of people passed us, then, about 10 minutes later, they came back toward us. They said they saw a momma bear and either one or two cubs -- I don't remember-- crossing the trail in front of them about 40 yards, so they backtracked. We parked it right there for about 10 minutes and then, with about 4 to 5 more people, went on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.