Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fly lines - what is everyone using?

1,200 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rather be fishing
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to have to make a 6wt line purchase. Rio Gold seems to be what I hear a lot of people using.

I do have a 20% off for an Orvis purchase, but I've never been a huge fan of their lines (despite have Access lines on 2 of my reels).
docb
AG
Rio Gold is fine. I just put it on my new Sage X 6 wt.
ratfacemcdougal
Trident fly fishing did a huge line comparison a few years ago. The top rated line (dont remember what it was) has been superceded by the next generation. Find the reviews, then call Trident and ask for their recommendation. I just had two reels relined for my Pennsylvania trip. (dont remember what I ended up with)
Mark Fairchild
AG
RIO, that is all!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ccard257
AG
Need more info about what you will be doing with said line. A 6 is a pretty versatile size so you could be doing anything from dries for trout in cold rivers to bigish flies On the coast. I wouldn't pick the same line for those. Rod is also a factor here. Something more moderate is not going to like a line weighted to load a faster action, etc.
rather be fishing
AG
ccard257 said:

Need more info about what you will be doing with said line. A 6 is a pretty versatile size so you could be doing anything from dries for trout in cold rivers to bigish flies On the coast. I wouldn't pick the same line for those. Rod is also a factor here. Something more moderate is not going to like a line weighted to load a faster action, etc.
Buying a Radian, will mostly be used for dries, terrestrials, and small streamers.
AgFlyGuy
AG
rather be fishing said:

ccard257 said:

Buying a Radian, will mostly be used for dries, terrestrials, and small streamers.
I was up in Vail a few weeks ago fishing much the same way and used the SA amplitude smooth trout for my 6wt, worked very well. I have a Hardy Zephrus SWS. I think the Radian is going to have similar action to the SWS, but with a softer tip.
MAROON
AG
well I just bought a 2wt rod and Ross reel and will be loading it with RIOS Euro Nymphing line
Hamburger Dan
Rio Gold
Neches21
I primarily use Scientific Anglers.
I've had bad luck with Rio lines cracking.
Orvis bought Scientific Anglers a couple years back and now all Orvis lines are made by SA.
The SA MPX is one of the best all around fly lines that I've used.
Ive also used Air Flo with pretty good results.
rather be fishing
AG
Neches21 said:

I primarily use Scientific Anglers.
I've had bad luck with Rio lines cracking.
Orvis bought Scientific Anglers a couple years back and now all Orvis lines are made by SA.
The SA MPX is one of the best all around fly lines that I've used.
Ive also used Air Flo with pretty good results.

The 20% off for Orvis is due to a cracking line.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.