Outdoors
Sponsored by

License plate lookup request

3,539 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
Aston 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So for the last few days we've had a guy parked in various spots around the neighborhood sitting in his car for hours at a time. Texas license plate KLF 7854 on a silver crew cab Toyota Tacoma pickup (second generation 2005-2015).

A neighbor approached him and asked what he was doing, and he said he was a "detective on a stakeout." Neighbor also asked if we should be worried and he said "probably not". We're in a quiet area of Northwest Austin, so not sure what kind of stakeout he could be on, if that's really what he's doing. I do know he's been noticed by a few neighbors, so he's not very subtle.

If anyone could run the plates and get some info on this guy, I'd greatly appreciate it if you can email me at texagsaston91 at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
johnrth
Probably a PI following someone's spouse for cheating.

Or insurance fraud.

I can't help any on the plates and this is just speculation.
Aston 91
AG
Yeah, my guess is some kind of insurance fraud or workman's comp investigation. Based on the locations he's been, there are only a handful of houses he can be staking out. I don't know the residents in those houses all that well, but I'd be surprised if any were involved in that (with the exception of one oddball renter - and nothing would surprise me with that guy).
OnlyForNow
AG
Did he produce any ID to the effect of his stated occupation?
JosephMarcus
OnlyForNow said:

Why would he have to?
SidetrackAg
AG
What do people use to look up license plates? I am interested in some research of my own
AgsMnn
AG
SidetrackAg said:

What do people use to look up license plates? I am interested in some research of my own

TexAgs OB
45-70Ag
AG
Call the police and see if they'll talk to him?
OnlyForNow
AG
He wouldn't, but if the people in the neighborhood are that worried about it, it's be the first thing I ask.

If they guy won't provide his credentials then I'd call the police right then.

I imagine any professional PI would oblige and provide his license.
Aston 91
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I didn't ask my neighbor, but I don't believe he did. My neighbor said he was in his car when he pulled up beside the guy (at a spot where you wouldn't want to be sitting in the road very long) so I don't think they had a long conversation.
CSTXAg92
AG
Where at in NW Hills?
Aston 91
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Where at in NW Hills?
Great Hills area near the Arboretum.
FSGuide
OnlyForNow said:

He wouldn't, but if the people in the neighborhood are that worried about it, it's be the first thing I ask.

If they guy won't provide his credentials then I'd call the police right then.

I imagine any professional PI would oblige and provide his license.

I've been doing surveillance for 21 years. In that time I've been asked by a lot of people "what are you doing" and "can I see some ID". I always lie to them about the real reason lm there and I've never shown them an ID. If the cops show up and ask me for an ID I'll show them.

As for the other question of what do people use to run LP's. I use two different subscription databases. I have to provide each of them a copy of my PI Agency License and business insurance every year to have access to the info.
OnlyForNow
AG
Well, if your story sounds good then I probably wouldn't go any further with it.

91AggieLawyer
AG
JosephMarcus said:

OnlyForNow said:

Why would he have to?

He doesn't HAVE to but if I ask him that question and he refuses, I am definitely calling the police. I've had this happen before. When I ask for credentials, they drive off. 99/100 its something criminal.

We live in an age of home thefts/invasions, human trafficking, etc. and everyone needs to be sensitive to that. If he doesn't care that you are concerned about the security of your area, then that's his problem. If he's legit, he's probably going to be talking to a police officer and have his cover blown.

Staking out neighborhoods is not an acceptable surveillance technique for a private citizen anymore, PI or not. Just like carrying a rifle in the back window of your truck to school. At one time it was, but it isn't now. So in a way, if I'm asking, yes he DOES have to identify himself.
trouble
AG
Call the non emergency police number and ask them to come talk to him.
Al Bula
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Just like carrying a rifle in the back window of your truck to school. At one time it was, but it isn't now.
Wrong, commie!!!

FSGuide
91AggieLawyer said:

JosephMarcus said:

OnlyForNow said:

Why would he have to?

He doesn't HAVE to but if I ask him that question and he refuses, I am definitely calling the police. I've had this happen before. When I ask for credentials, they drive off. 99/100 its something criminal.

We live in an age of home thefts/invasions, human trafficking, etc. and everyone needs to be sensitive to that. If he doesn't care that you are concerned about the security of your area, then that's his problem. If he's legit, he's probably going to be talking to a police officer and have his cover blown.

Staking out neighborhoods is not an acceptable surveillance technique for a private citizen anymore, PI or not. Just like carrying a rifle in the back window of your truck to school. At one time it was, but it isn't now. So in a way, if I'm asking, yes he DOES have to identify himself.
Maybe you should tell that to the insurance companies who hire us to investigative fraud; and to the lawyers who hire us for child custody investigations and cheating spouse investigations. Also, while you're at it, tell the Texas DPS about it since they are the ones who issue our PI licenses.

Just because the cops come out and talk to a PI doesn't mean his cover is blown. 99.99% of the time the person who calls the cops is not the person we are watching. It is almost always a neighbor way down the street from the subject, because we don't sit directly in front of the persons house we are watching. A lot of the time, me & my guys aren't even on the same street where the person lives. We sit on the entry/departure routes. That is how we combat the heat (running A/C when needed) and how we deal with concerned neighbors.
expresswrittenconsent
BBQ Becky is an OB poster?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.