Outdoors
Sponsored by

Victoria man dies from "necrotizing fasciitis"...flesh eating bacteria

16,042 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by KenAg06
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The article mentions 100 deaths per year...this occurrence took only four days (or less) to become fatal.

Victoria Advocate article

On the morning after Independence Day, Gary Evans and his wife sat at Magnolia Beach and laughed over cups of coffee.
Their campsite, near the fishing pier, was quiet, unlike the day before, when family came down for an ideal holiday celebration.
"He was in his element there ... around everything he loved most his friends, his family, his crabbing on the water," said his wife, Debbie Mattix, 60. "But on Saturday morning, he couldn't walk. That is how quick it hit."

Evans died at 56 years old Monday from an apparent flesh-eating bacterial infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, four days after his wife said he contracted Vibrio bacteria at Magnolia Beach.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
TxSquarebody
Damn
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Awful news
Ogre09
AG
"The bacteria most commonly enters the body through a break in the skin, including cuts or scrapes, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds and surgical rods."

"Mattix said her husband never got in the water at Magnolia Beach or ate raw shellfish but was crabbing from the shore and had exposed, minor scrapes."
Ogre09
AG
You're more likely to die in a car wreck going to/from the beach, but "flesh eating bacteria" stories get more clicks.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We were posted up at Magnolia beach for most of the 4th weekend. Mr. Diesel is paranoid about vibrio so we always have a good time messing with him but damn maybe he is right.
chansonjr
AG
My neighbor in POC got vibrio last Sunday. Luckily is a doctor and went to the hospital at the first sign. Was in the hospital for 4 days. Scary stuff
RCR06
AG
You're right! I'd also say that if you get flesh eating bacteria it usually does some significant damage or kills you. With car accidents there is a chance of walking away with no injuries....also a chance of death.
jwoodmd
RCR06 said:

You're right! I'd also say that if you get flesh eating bacteria it usually does some significant damage or kills you. With car accidents there is a chance of walking away with no injuries....also a chance of death.
Worked with two cases years ago involving amputation of limbs to both slow infection and remove essentially dead limbs. Yes, it's not common, but neither is the brain amoeba that can enter from lake water through the nasal passages. Both organisms' effects are damn grotesque.
dr_boogs
AG
So for those of you guys that wade fish (I love it just don't get to do it enough), do you wear waders year round or just wear quick dry pants. I have to say even with knowledge of vibrio I still just wear pants. Interested in the preferences of the OB.
lazuras_dc
AG
I wear fishing pants and wading boots. I'm not one to get scared from some over sensationalized media stories but I'll be honest I had some guests in town and we were at the beach and swimming and spent some time in the canals - a few of them Either had cuts or got cuts and I was checking up on them every few hours to make sure they felt ok. It's scary stuff !
birddog7000
AG
I have always just worn fishing pants. I hate to get worked up over a few cases a year, but I don't want to be one of those cases if I can prevent it. I would like to find out more about cases (freshwater inflows at elevated levels, age and health of patient, dredging or spoil deposition nearby, etc.). Has there been a study done about it to anyone's knowledge? It would be helpful to know more about where to avoid, and who is at highest risk.
Badace52
AG
I usually just wear a bathing suit. Most people who contract Vibrio vulnificus are otherwise immune compromised, (diabetic, asplenic, or on immune modulating medication). The spleen does a pretty good job of sequestering the organism in most people.

However, there are definitely cases that happen to relatively healthy individuals with few risk factors. By my understanding, this individual in Victoria was one of those truly unfortunate cases.

The shallow warm waters of texas bays are pretty much perfect Vibrio breeding grounds. Some areas are absolutely teeming with it in the summer, but even so, very few people ever become symptomatic from exposure.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
DP
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya but something else is going on with this one. He "didn't even get in the water" according to the article... but he did crab and fish all weekend and then there aren't any other details. He contracted systemically, somehow and it was by just being on the beach.

He ate or did something that isnt being fully discussed.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I carry a bottle(s) of Hibicleans in the boat and all vehicles, treat any and all scratches or hook punctures IMMEDIATELY. Pretreat any open places prior to getting in/near the water.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SockDePot
dr_boogs said:

So for those of you guys that wade fish (I love it just don't get to do it enough), do you wear waders year round or just wear quick dry pants. I have to say even with knowledge of vibrio I still just wear pants. Interested in the preferences of the OB.

I wear waders year round because of this exact reason.

I usually get a ton of crap from the people I'm with.

Having to poo in the bay is awkward enough, whats one more step in the process in exchange for not losing a leg?
jswags
AG
FIL was in the hospital 2.5 weeks after contracting Vibrio. He was wade fishing around CC bay. He just finished taking antibiotics through an IV at his house 1 month later. The wound on his leg is still pretty nasty looking but no amputation was needed.

Luckily he went straight to the ER the night after wade fishing once he started feeling bad.

If you have a compromised immune system, don't even think about wading without waders.

FIL is diabetic and always wears waders. This one time he hopped out to do a quick 30 minute wade and didn't wear them...
Cancelled
AG
Flesh eating bacteria stories are probably written by the same hacks that write pitbull stories.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I am going to keep wading. I no longer do many of the vices of my youth. The only real joy I get in life is tricking large fish into eating a piece of plastic.

I will use some common sense by avoiding stagnant water (the marsh) this time of year and spend more time where I know there is good relatively clean water movement. Surf fishing is good so I will spend more time there in the heat of summer.
Salt of the water
AG
Imagine if there were boats out there that let you stalk fish quietly in shallow water... All while keeping the boys dry and your appendages safe from deadly bacteria.
Picard
AG
Salt of the water said:

Imagine if there were boats out there that let you stalk fish quietly in shallow water... All while keeping the boys dry and your appendages safe from deadly bacteria.

Yes. The genius wade fisherman have these boats and use them to get to their fishing spots. Then in an act of sheer stupidity, they leave their boats and all the beer in them to wade fish a few hundred feet away.

Blows my mind

jwoodmd
dr_boogs said:

I wade all the time and let kids swim/play as well. Can't live life worried about everything. Biggest problem is people waiting too long to have something checked. Too many "awe don't be a wimp" attitudes.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jwoodmd
C@LAg said:

jwoodmd said:

Too many "awe don't be a wimp" attitudes.
too many... "I have an ingrown hair, it must be cancer" helicopter moms.
This isn't the politics hyperbole board. Did you get mixed up?
BurnetAggie99
This key right there. I keep some bottles as well and also a big spray bottle that has some in it. Spray down basically a Hibiclens Shower/rubdown before I going out on the water. Spray if get a scratch or anything while out. Also once back from being out on the water take another Hibiclens shower.

Hibiclens used to make towelettes but they harder to find.

Mixing part bleach and water together works as well if right dilution.
CanyonAg77
AG
We had a WTAMU police officer die from a reaction to antibiotic, after a cat scratch. If a dermatologist had seen him earlier, they could have figured it out and saved his life. (it causes a unique skin reaction)

Don't worry about being a wimp. See the doctor. It's what your freaking insurance is for.
jwoodmd
CanyonAg77 said:

We had a WTAMU police officer die from a reaction to antibiotic, after a cat scratch. If a dermatologist had seen him earlier, they could have figured it out and saved his life. (it causes a unique skin reaction)

Don't worry about being a wimp. See the doctor. It's what your freaking insurance is for.
Exactly. Let the doctor make the call.
Badace52
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

We had a WTAMU police officer die from a reaction to antibiotic, after a cat scratch. If a dermatologist had seen him earlier, they could have figured it out and saved his life. (it causes a unique skin reactuon).

So the antibiotic killed him, or was it the cat scratch? Cuz if the antibiotic killed him, I would say this is more of an argument against going to the doctor, and I am a doctor.
CM
jwoodmd
Badace52 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

We had a WTAMU police officer die from a reaction to antibiotic, after a cat scratch. If a dermatologist had seen him earlier, they could have figured it out and saved his life. (it causes a unique skin reactuon).

So the antibiotic killed him, or was it the cat scratch? Cuz if the antibiotic killed him, I would say this is more of an argument against going to the doctor, and I am a doctor.
I find that comment reckless and along the lines of an anti-vaxxer comment. So, he dies of the infection instead?
Yesterday
AG
I just spent two days in the hospital from vibrio. I was jumping off a friends doc into Galveston Bay and cut my foot on what I assume was a clam shell on the bottom. Sliced a big gash between my right middle toe knuckle to the base of my ring? toe.

I had to get stitches that night and the doc gave me a shot of antibiotics and a script for more. At the time there were no pharmacies open on the island so I didn't get it filled. About 24 hours I was back at the hospital because my foot was swelling and turning red. I got the prescription filled and started taking them but two days later it kept getting worse so I went back to the ER. They admitted me and put me on IV antibiotics while we waited on the culture to come back. They said I probably could have fought it with oral but they didn't want to wait and see.

The Doctors in Galveston said two people die from this infection. People who have bad immune systems and people who wait until it's too late.

Don't be afraid to swim but keep an eye on everyone afterward and go straight to the doctor for unusual pain, swelling or fever.
Badace52
AG
No I'm just saying he gave a bad example of why you should go to the doctor.

Also the dermatologist might have treated him with the same antibiotics and he still would have died. Treatments are not without risk. He probably did the right thing in seeing the doctor, but ultimately it led to his death from an unforseen reaction that was impossible to predict.

My point is there is risk everywhere, even at the doctor's office and antibiotics are more of a risk than many people realize.
CM
CanyonAg77
AG
Badace52 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Okay, it was a reaction to the antibiotic. His mistake was delaying going back to the doctor when the flare-up hit. I'm sorry, can't remember the antibiotic, but it causes a reaction that looks like intense burns. He was not black, but apparently this reaction more typically happens with black patients.

https://www.newschannel10.com/story/36101264/wtamu-police-officer-dies-from-medicine-reaction-after-feral-cat-bite/
CanyonAg77
AG
Badace52 said:

Also the dermatologist might have treated him with the same antibiotics and he still would have died.
Apparently this reaction is well known to dermatologists. Yeah, maybe a bad example, but the point is if a Derm had seen it, they would have known to switch treatment.
Badace52
AG
The reaction is called Steven-johnson syndrome when mild and Toxic epidermal necrolysis (TENS) when it gets really bad.

Any antibiotic can cause it but a few are a little worse with the very commonly used medication Bactrim having the highest incidence of all antibiotics.

Some other non-antibiotic medications can cause it as well. It is a very rare reaction and it gets to the point of no return very quickly. It is also easy to miss in the early stages.
CM
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.