Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying lever gun. What caliber?

5,142 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gone Camping
Busta2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm planning to purchase a lever gun to be used for hogs and deer in Forest land. What caliber is appropriate for hog hunting? I already have an AR in 556, now want something less tactical. Been looking at a Marlin in 30-30. Should I step up for hogs? Appreciate the input.
45-70Ag
AG
Ive become a lever collecting fanatic in various calibers.

45LC
44 mag
30-30
45-70
I've killed pigs with all of them except the 357, fun guns to shoot.

I think Henry is making one in 6.5 creedmore now?
jammer262
I have a 357 Rossi, it was cheap, I had to work the action over with some lapping compound, it is now a fun gun to shoot.

I also have a Marlin 45-70. It's an amazingly powerful round. Kicks like a mule, but still fun to shoot.
jtp01
AG
Hard to beat the classic 30-30 in my book.
Shoefly!
AG
Marlin .35 cal
will.mcg
AG
Remind me which brand is preferred for its American manufacture? Marlin or Henry? I recall one of them is manufacturing in another country now.
FIDO 96
AG
I sold my Marlin 45-70 to a fellow OB'er for a song! It was my go to hog gun until I found a Henry .44mag carbine on the used rack at Cabelas. Now it's my goto hog gun. It's slightly shorter and .44mag is slightly cheaper.

I will say sending 45-70 downrange is fun.
CS78
Shoefly! said:

Marlin .35 cal

That's my favorite. Less recoil than 45-70. Flatter shooting than 44mag or 45 colt. Harder hitting than 30-30.
IDAGG
AG
will.mcg said:

Remind me which brand is preferred for its American manufacture? Marlin or Henry? I recall one of them is manufacturing in another country now.
Winchester lever actions are all made in Japan and have been for years.

Marlins and Henrys are still made in the US.

Marlin in Ilion, NY

Henry at Bayonne, NJ and Rice Lake, Wisconsin.
Gunny456
AG
It's all about correct shot placement anyway.
We have a couple of guys that book hunts with us every year that have hunted elk, Aoudad, Axis, Hogs and white tail with 45-70 and we never have had to trail a wounded animal ever.
.30-30 has still killed more deer than any other cartridge.
My ranch go to hog rifle is a Cimarron 1873 Carbine in .44-40. Just feels like carrying some old west nostalgia and action is smooth as silk. I carry it in a scabbard on my horse when trail riding or riding fence and also in a scabbard I made for our UTV.
Have fun and good luck.
Log
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I sold my Marlin 45-70 to a fellow OB'er for a song! It was my go to hog gun until I found a Henry .44mag carbine on the used rack at Cabelas. Now it's my goto hog gun. It's slightly shorter and .44mag is slightly cheaper.

I will say sending 45-70 downrange is fun.

That would be me. I love the the thing.
Old RV Ag
AG
Be different. Get a 32 WS (mine is pre 1964 Model 94). Close in has a bit more wallop than a 30-30 but loses velocity at distance due to drag. I've always seen my lever action as purely a close in brush gun. If you want distance, call me old fashion, but that's my 30-06 bolt.

Edit: I'd sure like to give that Marlin 45-70 from Wind River a go for some fun. Damn sweet looking rifle.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Gotta love that Marlin in 45-70, just so cool to be shooting a cartridge that made it from black power to nitro.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Bird Poo
AG
Henry is about to release a top loader I think.
FIDO 96
AG
Happy to hear it gets to work.
Central Committee
AG
I have my grandfather's late 1940's 32 win spcl. It does a number on the hogs at 75-125 yards, but as a previous poster noted, the round slows substantially at mid-long ranges. Probably my favorite rifle for a number of reasons.
mts6175
AG
Have a Marlin 45-70 showing up here on Monday.
malenurse
AG
I have a rare (I think) model 94 in .307 Winchester. Has the side eject feature. I probably ruined it by mounting a scope. I keep telling myself to take the damn scope off. Some day I will.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Aggie_3
45-70 marlin
Aggie_3
Old RV Ag said:

Be different. Get a 32 WS (mine is pre 1964 Model 94). Close in has a bit more wallop than a 30-30 but loses velocity at distance due to drag. I've always seen my lever action as purely a close in brush gun. If you want distance, call me old fashion, but that's my 30-06 bolt.

Edit: I'd sure like to give that Marlin 45-70 from Wind River a go for some fun. Damn sweet looking rifle.

It is a very fun gun to shoot I have a version of it I bought from Eyeguy in January and it feels like a 30-30 when I shoot it
AnScAggie
AG
Start with a 30-30 and decide which way you want to go from there. A 45-70 rattles the teeth.
fightingfarmer09
Savage 99 and pick your favorite rifle caliber.
AgTech88
AG
I have a Browning Lever Action (BLR) in 308. Favorite deer rifle by far. Little more than old school 30-30 but still lever action, and takes a scope well.

Just my 2 cents.
Aggie_3
AnScAggie said:

Start with a 30-30 and decide which way you want to go from there. A 45-70 rattles the teeth.

Not the Marlin 45-70 I was expecting waay more kick but it felt like shooting a 30-30
HombreDoce
AG
Browning BLR in 22-250
ursusguy
AG
30-30 does perfectly fine on deer and hogs.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
normaleagle05
AG
I like a lever gun that can be cartridge paired to a wheel gun. 22LR, 22WMR, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 454 Casull, etc.
Rockdoc
AG
Agreed. I have a Marlin in .357 to match my Vaquero, but it's not really for hunting. Just for shooting fun.
texrover91
AG
I generally like to stick with .30-.30 or the pistol calibers especially.45LC 44mag or .357. Just picked up a 1947 flat band Winchester in .32 and it's the first 'exotic' caliber I've purchased

But For serious hunting / truck gun I stick with the .30-.30

RightWingConspirator
AG
I had a JM stamped Marlin Cowboy in .45-70 that was a beautiful gun, but was a beast to shoot. I sold it and ended up buying in its place a Sig 716 DMR AR-10. Miss that old Marlin.
schmellba99
AG
If you are going to get the Marlin, get the Cowboy over the 1895 or Guide Gun options. Much better looking rifle than either of the latter.
Busta2003
AG
Thanks guys. Always good to get the OB opinion.
Shoefly!
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

I have a Browning Lever Action (BLR) in 308. Favorite deer rifle by far. Little more than old school 30-30 but still lever action, and takes a scope well.

Just my 2 cents.

Beautiful rifle and well built, my Uncle had one and it was awesome to shoot.
cheeky
AG
For a reasonable price, the Marlin 45-70 guide gun in stainless or 30-30 1895. Can't go wrong with either
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.