Outdoors
Sponsored by

Houston Home Owner Kills Paintballer shooting his house?

7,749 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-homeowner-fatally-shoots-teen-paintball-guns

Based on this story, should he be charged with anything?
FJB
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
If someone is shooting my house am I supposed to know it's a paintball gun?

Sounds like a case of playing a stupid game and winning a stupid prize.
BCO07
AG
because it looks like a paintball gun?
Furlock Bones
AG
need more info for sure before i make a personal judgement on this one.
Zaiquiri
AG
https://www.ansgear.com/Mag_Fed_Tippmann_Guns_s/6211.htm

Not forming much of an opinion until more information comes out but some paintball guns may look more like an actual weapon than others.
AgEng06
AG
BCO07 said:

because it looks like a paintball gun?
I get what you're saying, but these days that's not completely accurate...

JCA1
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Because it barely makes a sound? And ends with a "plop" of paint against your house rather than a hole in it?

Now, if you walk outside and someone brandishes a paintball gun, I get that you only have a split second to make a decision, and that is a tough situation. But if people are "shooting" your house with them and you're inside, I just can't see any way to confuse the two.
I Am A Critic
IMO...if you're safely inside your home and choose to go outside where the perceived threats are, then yes, you should be charged.
average_joker
AG
My guess.
Since there was a large group all being aggressive towards one house. This one will meet the disparity of force criteria, and the paintball gun will be irrelevant.
aggiedent
AG
Hard to make any definitive statements based on the limited information.
TheClaw07
AG
On the surface it looks like he should face some sort of charges. He left his house to approach a group of people then shot a kid and shot at his car. Paintball guns are not threatening and don't make any sounds like real guns so it's very hard to believe that the man thought his house was being shot up. Sounds more to me that he was pissed that kids were paintballing his house and made a really stupid decision.
Edit to say: Obviously my mind might change if more info comes out, but it doesn't look good.
rootube
AG

The correct answer is there is not enough information in this story to make an informed opinion on who was at fault. The homeowner may have had a legitimate reason to feel threatened or he may be a hot head who watches to many action movies.
Oogway
Here is another local news source link:
https://abc13.com/dad-shoots-and-kills-teen-who-had-paintball-gun-police-say/5312163/

Parent likely won't be charged according to police. Teen was shot with a rifle. Other teens could potentially be charged, again, according to police spokesperson.

agfan2013
AG
keep in mind, you can freeze paintballs too. Crank up the pressure on the gun and shoot those at windows and someone who's in the house hears shattering glass, loud thumps of a garage door or roof getting hit, and I could see a scenario how the homeowner thought it was real guns. Likely not the case and they were just regular paintballs, but there are lots of variables to consider and we dont have much info at this time.

Count me in the camp that would like to see more info, but this all could've been avoided had the kids not started by doing something stupid.
4stringAg
AG
Large group of kids coming to the house to apparently harass or have bad intentions towards the man's son, some with guns (albeit paintball guns), a night making visible identification of paintball guns harder, etc.
Moy
As seen above, paintball rifles can look similar to ARs. My friend's 300 Blackout w/ can shooting subsonic has a similar report to paintball rifles I've seen.

Paintball impacts can make a substantial sound on flat surfaces and this occurred at night. The Dad definitely has a defense to prosecution. Firing at the leaving vehicle is different though.....
tmaggies
AG
I Am A Critic said:

IMO...if you're safely inside your home and choose to go outside where the perceived threats are, then yes, you should be charged.

Next you will tell us it's the cops fault........
MouthBQ98
AG
At night might make a significant difference, unless the area was open and well lit.
Muzzleblast
One story said his son was in the group doing paintball stuff.

Might get ugly if confirmed. Harris County.
I Am A Critic
tmaggies said:

I Am A Critic said:

Next you will tell us it's the cops fault........
No, not at all. But I don't see any reason for the homeowner to go outside and interject himself into the situation and use deadly force.
Bregxit
AG
Oogway said:

Here is another local news source link:
https://abc13.com/dad-shoots-and-kills-teen-who-had-paintball-gun-police-say/5312163/

Parent likely won't be charged according to police. Teen was shot with a rifle. Other teens could potentially be charged, again, according to police spokesperson.

Quote:

According to authorities, about 15 teenagers with paintball guns went to a home on Force Street.
I think the lesson is do not engage a homeowner who lives on FORCE STREET!
ntxVol
Jesus, How do you folks live in Houston?

All kinds of stupid crap seems to happen down there.
Bregxit
AG
ntxVOL said:

Jesus, How do you folks live in Houston?

All kinds of stupid crap seems to happen down there.

WTF do you live, the Arctic Circle?
Mas89
AG
I Am A Critic said:

F that. You do know that you and your family are not safely inside your house if someone is shooting your house don't you??? As in bullets go thru windows,doors, etc and can kill people inside.

I Am A Critic
Mas89 said:

I Am A Critic said:

F that. You do know that you and your family are not safely inside your house if someone is shooting your house don't you??? As in bullets go thru windows,doors, etc and can kill people inside.

If someone were shooting at house with bullets, I'd know the difference between that and a paintball.
Mas89
AG
I don't think you could tell the difference from inside.
Especially without having an Ag Tag.
gibberish
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Mas89 said:

I Am A Critic said:

If someone were shooting at house with bullets, I'd know the difference between that and a paintball.
From your vast experience of hanging out in side a house being shot?

Eazy that you?
texAZtea
AG
What else?
SMM48
AG
bullllllll.
cupofjoe04
AG
Not contributing to solving the debate here, but I had a similar situation once in Houston- with a decidedly more humorous result.

I had a yard behind my detached garage, and there were a few parking spaces for the neighborhood pool behind my back fence. No one was supposed to park in there after house, but kids did occasionally. Never bothered me, but they left occasionally trash which I just picked up and moved on with my life.

Dog's stomach was upset one night, and I had to take her out late. We were in the back yard, and something starts wizzing over my head and pelting my garage. I ducked out of instinct, and a few seconds later the metal sign on the light pole starts ringing infront of me as more things pelt my garage behind me. Luckily, I had played a bit of air soft, and recognized the sound of the shots and pellets hitting my garage.

I decided instead of yelling at them or calling the cops, i'de have a bit of fun. They were shooting directly toward my house and windows, but hitting the garage. And a big tree was relatively shielding the house. So I don't think they were trying to be malicious or would really have hurt much, but they were shooting my garage over my fence. So I got my air soft rifle, a full mag of glow in the dark BB's, and went to an upstairs window that had a view of the parking lot. I popped the screen off, and could see their car sitting under the street light, back passenger window open and a orange tipped barrel sticking out. I aimed (had a scope on the rifle), and squeezed off a shot that bounced off their roof. I made an adjustment and sent one inside the car. The gun went back in and I could see them moving around in there. I flipped it to full auto and emptied the clip, and watched glowing BB's stream into that back window. Lots of cursing & shouting, things thrown out the window, and they quickly sped off. I never saw them back again.

I can back to the bedroom laughing hysterically. My wife rolled her eyes at me and went back to sleep.
Boo Weekley
I Am A Critic said:

Say someone is lighting your house up with an AR (maybe you're a judge and a crazy convict that you sent to jail for a few yrs found out where you live). You think a homeowner should be charged for sneaking around to a diff vantage point or the side of their house to take the crazed criminal out who is clearly an active threat?

You should check out the Democratic Peoples Republic of California.

Boo Weekley
I Am A Critic said:

Mas89 said:

I Am A Critic said:

Ahh, moving the goal posts. You said nothing about paintballs in your original post.
Strongweasel97
AG

Especially if his "due diligence" was going outside to check on the noise instead of opening fire from the get-go.

Being faced with a muzzle of unknown variety, the only sound that matters is the impact. Expecting anybody to judge type, caliber, muzzle device, etc. is armchair projection.

We'll see, as I expect this one isn't going to drop off the news cycle.
C Loves L
#PaintballPlayersLivesMatter
Scotty Appleton
Boo Weekley said:

I Am A Critic said:

Say someone is lighting your house up with an AR (maybe you're a judge and a crazy convict that you sent to jail for a few yrs found out where you live). You think a homeowner should be charged for sneaking around to a diff vantage point or the side of their house to take the crazed criminal out who is clearly an active threat?

You should check out the Democratic Peoples Republic of California.

California has a pretty strong castle doctrine actually. You can kill people "that reasonably threaten" you just fine out here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.