Outdoors
Sponsored by

Houston Home Owner Kills Paintballer shooting his house?

7,752 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am curious about the paintballer's frame of mind. If he was dumb enough to shoot up a house with a paintball gun, surely this wasn't his first brush with death.
AnScAggie
AG
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes comes to mind here. It seems a lot of people are pretty quick to assign blame to the homeowner, I would assign blame to the people that caused this situation to occur in the first place. Not saying you should be allowed to shoot someone who p!sses you off, but I know I can't effectively judge the situation without being there.
BurnetAggie99
Read the Castle Doctrine not only does it protect your and your home from intruders, the castle doc extends to your place of business where you are workin,.Your vehicle if you are sitting in your vehicle, someone is forcefully trying to enter your vehicle or remove you from your vehicle, you can use deadly force to defend yourself.
FIDO*98*
AG
AnScAggie said:

It seems a lot of people are pretty quick to assign blame to the homeowner, I would assign blame to the people that caused this situation to occur in the first place.

Holding the homeowner legally accountable doesn't mean you're blaming him.
Ag_of_08
AG
agfan2013 said:

keep in mind, you can freeze paintballs too. Crank up the pressure on the gun and shoot those at windows and someone who's in the house hears shattering glass, loud thumps of a garage door or roof getting hit, and I could see a scenario how the homeowner thought it was real guns. Likely not the case and they were just regular paintballs, but there are lots of variables to consider and we dont have much info at this time.

Count me in the camp that would like to see more info, but this all could've been avoided had the kids not started by doing something stupid.

Freezing modern paintballs is largely a myth. Saw kids try it all the time while reffing.... didnt harden the ball particularly, causes jamming if they'll fire, causes the shell to become brittle, and a host of other problems.

You'd do more damage shooting cheap 3rds or fourths paint with a gun set right at the edge of overshooting(you cant crank velocity up beyond a certain point)

Now...pepper balls? Yeah, those can go back to hell where they belong!

The Mil-sim stuff available today I could almost see being mistaken for a rifle if pointed at me. Or if you want to go waaaaay back, we could grab my old BE rainmaker. It sounds a damn. Lot like a pistol going full auto, much to the pissed off surprise of a sherrifs deputy I nearly put into heart failure!
carl spacklers hat
A couple of thoughts after reading the ABC news piece and looking at the picture of the home.

First, judging by the appearance of the home, this looks like a rougher neighborhood. Northeast Houston? Certainly could be a factor in the dad's reaction.

Second, a group of 15 young men (the deceased was 19) outside a home is definitely a threat, paintball guns or not. The article states that they were there to fight the dad's 17 year-old son. 15 against one doesn't seem like fair odds. The article also states that 3 of the teens were detained by police.

With the limited info provided so far, I'd say the dad was justified in his actions.
agdad4x
What type of "paint" does a paint gun shoot? Does it wash off with water?

If a group of teens came to my house and started shooting at it, I believe I am going to shoot back.
BrazosDog02
AG
Furlock Bones said:

need more info for sure before i make a personal judgement on this one.
This.

I can see a few ways this can be not great for the homeowner and this MIGHT be dependent on who has the better council.

A couple of things that I know:

Paintball guns make nearly no sound.

People shooting paint at my house would piss me off.

Any time people lead early on with "fear of life" or "fearing for safety" my little red flags start breaking from whiplash because the pop up so fast. This is the throw down defense to CYA in case you f-ed up.

This causes me great amounts of angst:

Quote:

"They believed that they were that their house was being shot at," Horn told KHOU. "The homeowner, the father, came outside to the disturbance, approached a suspect who was standing out here. Believed that he was a threat, fearing for his safety, fired a round at him."

If someone is shooting at my house, and I actually believe I am taking live fire from a true firearm, I will not be approaching any suspects. This right here causes me to go into the jury box with a "yeah, bullsheet" bias. Also, firing at a fleeing vehicle screams vengeance. This simply does not add up for me and if I'm on this jury, that guy's attorney now has to convince me to change my bias. Tough sell. Better be good.

Anyway, I need a lot more facts to truly weigh this out, but suffice it to say, I'm suspicious that this is a two-fold case of "heat of the moment anger" and "play stupid games win stupid prizes".

I also get this part:
Quote:

Horn said the homeowner's 17-year-old son might've been the group's target.

But I need a lot more clarity on that statement to really read much into it. It's weak on its own for me.
Old Tom Morris
Not enough information to judge. That said, shooting at a car starts to get very questionable. Just need a lot more facts though.
CS78
"It sounded like a suppressor, detective."
El Chupacabra
On one hand internet gun dudes (not just this forum, all of them) say:
I have 100 guns and 1000 loaded mags and I have a gun in every room of my house and I answer the door in body armor with the pin half pulled on a grenade and I'll blast anyone that looks at me wrong because castle doctrine and Texas and 2A.

And when someone actually uses force: Weeeeellllll technically per section 54 chapter 6 article 3 sub part 7 page 3 line 3 this use of force is not specifically mentioned so it was an excessive use of force and I hope he is charged because he gives us gun guys a bad rap.

Personally, I'm glad he got one, I wish he would have got more. Hope he is cleared of any wrong doing.
HtownAg92
AG
I guess to make the story sexier you have to refer to a nineteen year-old as a "teen", even though that is a grown-ass man. Yes, nineteen is still technically a "teen", but that's someone who can vote, get drafted, is likely out of high school and should be in college or working.
BrazosDog02
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I guess to make the story sexier you have to refer to a nineteen year-old as a "teen", even though that is a grown-ass man. Yes, nineteen is still technically a "teen", but that's someone who can vote, get drafted, is likely out of high school and should be in college or working.
Oh hell yes. 19 is way past the "ability to make good judgements" age.
schmellba99
AG
I Am A Critic said:

IMO...if you're safely inside your home and choose to go outside where the perceived threats are, then yes, you should be charged.
Took about 10 posts, a bit slower than I expected, but still within acceptable margins. Good job, and never change OB.
schmellba99
AG
I Am A Critic said:

tmaggies said:

I Am A Critic said:

IMO...if you're safely inside your home and choose to go outside where the perceived threats are, then yes, you should be charged.

Next you will tell us it's the cops fault........
No, not at all. But I don't see any reason for the homeowner to go outside and interject himself into the situation and use deadly force.
Nahhh! Why should a homeowner defend his property? Just let them continue shooting at it, no big deal.

Do you really have any idea what you are saying here?

Somebody is shooting at my house, I'm figuring out a way to return fire. Why? Because that is the surest and fastest way for them to stop and the surest and fastest way for bullets to stop flying in the direction of my house where my family is.

Or, we could go with your plan - hope they run out of ammo before something bad happens (or are using toy guns, I suppose). Not a gamble I'm willing to take and would not expect any rational person to take that gamble either.
schmellba99
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Boo Weekley said:

I Am A Critic said:

Say someone is lighting your house up with an AR (maybe you're a judge and a crazy convict that you sent to jail for a few yrs found out where you live). You think a homeowner should be charged for sneaking around to a diff vantage point or the side of their house to take the crazed criminal out who is clearly an active threat?

You should check out the Democratic Peoples Republic of California.

California has a pretty strong castle doctrine actually. You can kill people "that reasonably threaten" you just fine out here.
Only if you use your single shot CA approved musket. After unlocking it in the safe on one side of the house, moving to the other side of the house and unlocking your powder horn, balls and patches, and then loading and returning fire.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

A couple of things that I know:

Paintball guns make nearly no sound.
Don't have a lot to argue with in your post, but this statement is not always going to be true, the tippmann 98 custom I ran back in my younger days was hella loud. not earplugs loud, but definitely louder than some suppressed weapons I've been around.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.