Outdoors
Sponsored by

What would you do?

4,019 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Furlock Bones
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All, I know I've posted on here before about our 15.5 year old Jack Russell, Roscoe. My wife and I have been struggling now for a few weeks on what to do about him. We've had Roscoe since he was about 3 months old. He is older than my oldest child. He's been a royal pain to deal with over the years, but he's part of the family nevertheless and we love him dearly.

Roscoe suffers from K9 dementia. He no longer exhibits any of the same Roscoe characteristics he once had (not all bad). He no longer gets excited about seeing people, other animals, etc. Normally, if a new dog came into our home, Roscoe would attack. Now he seems completely disinterested in other animals or people. About the only thing that gets Roscoe excited is feeding time.

Most of the day, he wanders around aimlessly. He'll pace back and forth returning to the same food/water bowl expecting to find something different upon each return. He'll wait at the hinged portion of a door waiting for it to open. When you pick him up, he simply has a blank stare - no excitement at all. He sleeps most of the day, he can barely walk, and sometimes will have mild seizures. He will not take to a kennel. If you put him in a kennel, he'll poop in it and get it all over him so when we leave the house, we have no other choice but to let him roam in our gated off kitchen. You can't leave him outside as he'll bark incessantly and be a nuisance to the neighbors.

On Sunday morning, my wife and I were awoken at around 4:30 AM by an awful smell. Roscoe had pooped all over my bedroom floor. It was all over his legs, his muzzle (yes, he sometimes will eat his own poop), his tail, etc. My bedroom was an absolute disaster. My wife cleaned up the mess while I bathed Roscoe to get him cleaned up. We fed him a few hours later and he did the same exact thing. He pooped in my laundry room, got it all over him, etc., and this was right after letting him outside. He has no more control. It's like his body does not give him advance notice that he may need to urinate/poop/etc. You'll let him out and he'll come back in the house and immediately poop/pee. He was once a very housebroken dog.

It's been stressful on my wife and I, needless to write. Our situation is complicated by the fact that we took him to the vet and the vet said he is in amazing condition for such an old dog. His heart, etc. are probably good for another few years, but his mind is gone. This is our struggle. How do we euthanize a dog that is otherwise healthy? How do we euthanize a member of the family that we've had for many years when his heart/kidneys/etc. are still good? His mind is gone and he no longer seems excited about anything. The incontinence has been a real nuisance up to this point and I know it stresses my wife and I out a lot.

In short, we feel conflicted on what is the right thing to do. What would you do? Would you euthanize? Would we be remiss in our duty to Roscoe to have him euthanized?

Your help is appreciated.
Furlock Bones
AG
personally, i'd say it's time put him down and i think you feel that. but, guilt is powerful.
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
We had a similar issue with our female boxer and degenerative myelopathy. We determined that once she became incontinent that it was time.

She was otherwise healthy from a mind and organ standpoint but the loss of her hind end and no ability to tell when she needed to go to the bathroom was no way for her to live.
Quinn
AG
It's not easy, but I think it's clear that it's time based on what you wrote.
Goose
AG
If one of our pets was in the condition you described, I'd have no hesitation with euthanasia. We should all be so lucky to have someone caring for us that can assess our condition like that and then give us the most peaceful and dignified exit to this world that there is. That doesn't mean it won't be really tough for you and your family, but that's kinda the trade off we have to make due to the close relationships we form with our pets.
aggiedent
AG
It's a bit of a guess, but I imagine I would push on for a few more months and see what happens. Our dogs are only allowed in tiled areas of the house so any "mistakes" are no issue. Based on past experiences, I'd stay somewhat stressed out until we make the fateful decision.

There is no real right and wrong decision, just a bloody hard one. Good luck.
agfan2013
AG
This is now your second thread in the last few months on the situation, so obviously it is something that continues to be an issue and isnt getting any better. It's time. For not just the dog's sake but the stress it is causing in your lives as well. It may not be easy, but it's time.
schmellba99
AG
Putting a dog down is never easy - but given the choice between making that call a bit early or a bit late, I'll go a bit early every single time. I feel like I owe it to my dogs to be able to make that decision and do what is probably the most important duty I have to them as their owner.

You'll second guess your decision no matter what - but IMO making the call later than you know you really should out of selfishness towards yourself is the worst of the choices because you aren't putting your dog first.

Hope you make the right call, only you can really do that. If it were me, i agree with those posting above me in that it is time for you to take your dog to Rainbow Bridge and let him start waiting for you on the other side.
PA24
AG
I think you already know the answer and it is the right thing to do.
CanyonAg77
AG
As one who waited too long to set a friend free, I say, don't wait.
saltyoldguy
AG
Sorry buddy its time. Had to make a similar call last October. You've been a great owner, continue that legacy.

My Aggie vet said when they cannot do 2/3 things they enjoy or normally do, its time.

Best to you and your family.
Strongweasel97
AG
As someone who has waited too long in the past (almost exact same issues), I'd put him down now. Your life and relationships will improve dramatically.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
We are right there with a 14 year old chocolate lab who is pooping in the house on top of all her other physical issues. In her case, we can't tell if it is her body or mind causing the problem.

I am so sorry you are having to struggle. It is the hardest decision for pet owners.
FIDO 96
AG
As an owner of a Jack Russell Terrorist mix, I share your love-hate relationship with these supreme *******s of dogs.

You know what you need to do. Sorry to hear this. Our day is coming too.
Alte Schule
I posted a few weeks ago about my Harvey rescue dying in our living room. Don't know what caused it but he was fine one minute and couldn't walk the next. I consider myself somewhat lucky, if you can call it that, as the old guy didn't suffer for long so no decision had to be made.

ln the last seven years we have had to make that decision two times. Both had medical issues so it was a quality of life decision. We used the mobile vet both times. They take care of everything.

The quality of your dogs life is slowly fading. You know in your heart it's time There will be an empty spot in the house for awhile but time heals. Good luck to you and your family.
Gunny456
AG
I have posted OP'd a couple of times these last few weeks over the issues I have had with our 5 year old lab.
I have spent a ton of money trying to give him a chance to live. We still don't know if he will make it, but we cherish everyday.
As long as he shows some happiness and not in pain we will keep trying to help him.
We will know when. Sounds like you do too.
Main thing is be with him at the end. I have had to do it many times.
Even though it hurts bad you will be better for it.
Sorry you are having to go through the pain and grief my friend.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Thank you all so much for the kind words. Sitting here at my desk all messed up from just the thought of what we need to do, but I'm convinced it's the right thing to do - for him. We will hold him while the drugs are administered and would not dream of abandoning him at this time.

All, hug your pets and enjoy them while you can. The pain I feel is oppressive, but if that is the ticket that must be purchased to unlock the fulfillment and joy I've received from Roscoe over the years, I'll gladly pay it.

Once again, thank you. We've set up the appointment for tomorrow.

Old Tom Morris
I would have him euthanized. Hurts, but in doing so, take comfort that it's actually an act of love. One last step that a good owner has to take sometimes; where in spite of the guilt it may bring, that guilt and pain is something you're willing to take on because you know it's the right thing for him.
Gunny456
AG
We will think of you tomorrow. So sorry.
Gunny456
SanAntoneAg
AG
Feed him a cheeseburger or a steak before you take him to the vet.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
So sorry to hear that you're going thru this. Most of us have to make that decision and go thru this at some point and it is never easy. It sounds like old Roscoe has had an excellent life and is lucky to have had you for a friend. T&P.
Psych
AG
Have you tried a neuro diet?

Those have been doing some amazing things since they came out a couple of years ago.

If that doesn't get him to an acceptable state, it's definitely time.
SteveBott
AG
OP you are doing the right thing. For the dog and your family. It's hard. I've owned 4 dogs as an adult and every time it sucked. My last one a Lab was put down was just as hard as the first.

My dog told me it was time. He lost control of his stools about a year before but they were solid and easily cleaned up. But a few days before he lost his appetite and the wife and I were going to cook up some chicken and rice to help. But that day he went out to the back yard and just sat there for over an hour and would not come in. He never did this. He do his business and be at the door in five minutes. It was like he was soaking in the fresh air and he knew he was going. I knew as well.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Wife snapped a picture of Roscoe while he was eating tonight and texted it to me at work with the caption "It's definitely time." In the picture was Roscoe with his legs splayed out eating his food on his belly. He can no longer keep his legs under him consistently.

Relief comes to him tomorrow night at 5:30 PM. Thanks all for the kind words. It's good to know others have gone through the pain we're feeling.
BlueMiles
Badace52
AG
You are definitely doing the right thing. Be strong for Roscoe.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
You are doing the right thing by him.
Panfish
AG
My family and I have traveled the road you are currently on and it's the right thing to do. It is hard, but it is right.

Try to remember all of the good and fun times you've had with with Roscoe. We still grieve from time to time about our dog that we had to put down, but the fond and happy memories far outweigh the grief.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Average Joe
AG
What you have to do isn't easy, but it's time.

Take this from someone who spent two years taking care of a grandmother with dementia. You are doing him and your family an injustice delaying this. That sounds harsh, but that isn't he same dog he's been for the last 15 years.

Edit: I didn't see your update before writing this. Take solace in knowing that you are doing right by him, and easing his pain.
John Francis Donaghy
It's the curse of being a dog lover. Dogs are amazing animals, but there will always come a day when a good owner has to make the hardest decision. Spoil him as best you can for his last day, and be with him when he goes.

I had to say goodbye to mine recently, and I'll warn you now. You will regret it. You will second guess yourself afterward. You will feel guilt. You will want him back. That's all normal. It all comes with loving a dog, and it really really sucks.

When that happens remember this:

Roscoe is 15 years old. His degeneration is a one-way street from here on out. There can be no return to youth and health and happiness. Time just doesn't work that way. On average, every day will be worse than the last. Now that you recognize that Roscoe's days are no longer worth living all you're doing is sparing him the pain and struggle of the days that would have been even worse than today, and there is absolutely NOTHING to feel guilty about. What you're doing is a mercy. An easy painless passing surrounded by loved ones is the best, kindest, and most generous thing you can do for Roscoe.

God bless. I'll say a prayer for you and Roscoe.
4stringAg
AG
It sucks but it's the best thing. The day our 15 year old yellow lab couldn't get up because her back end was too weak was the day we put her down. She enjoyed walks and outside time too much to lay in the house and not be able to get out.

Hard hard decision though.
RightWingConspirator
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I had to say goodbye to mine recently, and I'll warn you now. You will regret it. You will second guess yourself afterward. You will feel guilt. You will want him back. That's all normal. It all comes with loving a dog, and it really really sucks.

Thanks for your post, John. It helps. I'm feeling all of the above right now and second guessing myself.
PipelinerTP
AG
This situation is never easy. Went through the same thing with a dog 3 years ago...we had him for 15 years as well. You definitely made the right decision, and soon enough you will be at ease with that.

It's a good thing that dogs die before we do, because there is no way they could handle the grief of losing us.

Sounds like he was very lucky to have you as his human.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.