Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lantana Camara

3,511 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rootube
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering planting around the garden area for color and bees. After reading up, this invasive may overtake Brazos County if the birds shjt the seeds everywhere. Anybody have problems losing control of this plant or is this scientific drama?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
Ragoo
AG
Isn't it native to Texas?
PFG
AG
Where did you read that it's invasive? Not at all. Native to TX. Great drought tolerance. Blooms all summer. Plant away.
Fishing Fools
Guess I misread.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantana_camara

cupofjoe04
AG
It's a fantastic plant. We had great success with it in TX. They definitely got big, but easy enough to manage.

Just planted some Lantana here in CO. We will see how it fairs at altitude
Badace52
AG
Lantanas are definitely native and very hardy plants. I have a bunch growing naturally in my yard. I personally think the plant is a bit overrated and it is very woody once it matures. They require yearly pruning to take a good shape and they smell terrible to me. Many people tell me they don't think they smell bad at all, but for some reason I find the smell of lantanas repulsive.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosh
They will outlive drought and freeze. Yes they do spread easily. Every year I have cut back one in my backyard down to the stump in the dead of winter. It grows back with a vengeance in the spring. They do attract bees and hummingbirds nicely.
Ragoo
AG
And monarch butterflies
Fishing Fools
How tall and wide do they get after the manicure?

Badace52
AG
If you cut them all the way back in winter, by the end of the summer they will be 2-3 foot high and 3-5 feet across.

Also, you are right about that particular species of lantana being non-native. Our native lantana is actually Lantana urticoides, but the ones in nurseries are mostly weird hybrids of multiple lantana species. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could find L. urticoides in some local nurseries. It has flowers that are yellow and orange-red to red. Any other color flower is some weird hybrid or non-native.

Typical L. urticoides:

*edit* I edited this one because the other pic had more red than a typical L. urticoides, although some specimens do have quite a bit of red.

Typical L. camara

Weird hybrid L. camara (aka Dallas red)

L. montevidensis (non-native also called trailing lantana)

L. montevidensis X L. camara (aka New Gold Lantana)

Edit: (Deleted L. Horrida as it is possibly a synonym for and definitely a previous name of L. urticoides.)

L. involucrata (Florida native doesn't smell bad like other lantanas also called Button sage lantana)

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Updated my previous post with some pics.
CM
PFG
AG
Great post!

Lantana are an awesome wildscape plant. Deer (and cows, horses, donkeys) tend to leave them alone. I plant around ash jumpier for some color wildscape color.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Badace52 said:

If you cut them all the way back in winter, by the end of the summer they will be 2-3 foot high and 3-5 feet across.

Also, you are right about that particular species of lantana being non-native. Our native lantana is actually Lantana urticoides, but the ones in nurseries are mostly weird hybrids of multiple lantana species. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could find L. urticoides in some local nurseries. It has flowers that are yellow and orange-red to red. Any other color flower is some weird hybrid or non-native.

Typical L. urticoides:

*edit* I edited this one because the other pic had more red than a typical L. urticoides, although some specimens do have quite a bit of red.

Typical L. camara

Weird hybrid L. camara (aka Dallas red)

L. montevidensis (non-native also called trailing lantana)

L. montevidensis X L. camara (aka New Gold Lantana)

L. horrida (very similar to Texas lantana but non-native)

L. involucrata (Florida native doesn't smell bad like other lantanas also called Button sage lantana)

All in all a great post BUT there is one glaring error.....

L. horrida is the same plant as L. urticoides. It was simply renamed to give it a "nicer" name by a botanist. The name horrida was due to the pungent smell given off when the leaves of the plant are crushed between your fingers. It looks like you've just got another picture of L. camara for L. horrida in your post.
Fishing Fools
The ones I planted this AM was the Weird Hybrid that I picked up at Walmarts. I hope it wasn't a glaring mistake!

Badace52
AG
I actually saw the part about L. horrida being a synonym for L. urticoides, but it said thay had re-used the name L. horrida on a similar but different mexican variety of lantana similar to Texas lantana after the name of Texas lantana was switched to L. urticoides and that it was causing confusion among plant hobbyists.

It could have been misinformation. It was not a very official source site I saw it on, and then I saw it again on wikipedia.
CM
Badace52
AG
L. camara does wonderful in Texas, but it is non-native with a propensity to be invasive.
CM
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I had them but yanked them all out. Had to get my JD Gator and put it in 4wd to get them out. They have a hell of a root ball on them. And they spread like crazy. Not a fan.
rootube
AG
Fishing Fools said:

The ones I planted this AM was the Weird Hybrid that I picked up at Walmarts. I hope it wasn't a glaring mistake!
You should be fine. Here is a link with the common varieties.

https://npsot.org/wp/story/2011/1801/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.