Outdoors
Sponsored by

Half the elk herd disappeared

2,410 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BradMtn346
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://missoulian.com/outdoors/where-d-they-go-half-of-elk-herd-missing-from/article_c78f7e34-355a-5072-b840-f637b00898d8.html

Ok, it's just half of one fairly small herd...but still. I thought it was an interesting look into what goes in to wildlife management in a different part of the world.
johnrth
I just listened to a meat eater podcast from April 1st called the landscape of fear. It was mostly about mule deer and their migration but I'd be willing to bet elk have similar migration tendencies. It was quite interesting. I glanced at the article but sounds to me with a harsh winter it took a toll on alot of the herd.
NRH ag 10
AG
It'll be interesting to see how CO is doing. We've had a lot of snow this year.

On top of that wolf reintroduction is going to be on our ballot next election cycle because of CO's ****ty referendum laws. I'm sure the uninformed *******s on the I-25 corridor will pass it the same way they passed the ban on spring bear hunting, using dogs, and baiting.
shaynew1
AG
not just reintroduction, but reintroduction on a hilarious scale.
FrontPorchAg
NRH ag 10 said:

It'll be interesting to see how CO is doing. We've had a lot of snow this year.

On top of that wolf reintroduction is going to be on our ballot next election cycle because of CO's ****ty referendum laws. I'm sure the uninformed *******s on the I-25 corridor will pass it the same way they passed the ban on spring bear hunting, using dogs, and baiting.
Front-rangers are the worst. My grandpa was from Western Colorado and I remember the old timers *****in about the only people they hated more than Texans was front-rangers. They always said they were people who thought they were from Colorado.

Also, I lived most of my life in Wyoming. Don't reintroduce wolves. It's been a GD disaster.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
BradMtn346
Elk are as elk do. When you pressure them, they leave. Or die.

The one thing I've seen from the tracking data on elk that I have seen here, summer grounds are pretty stable, but winter grounds vary a lot. Hundreds of miles between wintering grounds from one year to the next.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.