Outdoors
Sponsored by

How many of you travel with horses?

1,780 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gunny456
FrontPorchAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at upgrading one of my properties in Wyoming. One of the properties I'm looking at is near Jackson and has a couple of stables, tack room, and a small paddock. Its borders public land and is two miles down a dirt road from public riding trails I don't ride anymore but I'm wondering if I put it up for lease/VRBO for the time of year I'm not there if that's something horse owners would be interested in?

Do horse owners on this bored ever travel with their horses?

If you do how do you look for a place that is equipped?

Thanks.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Fairview
AG
I don't know how many people travel with horses for vacation destinations but I know there's a business model that's basically a horse motel for horse transporters and people traveling to shows across the country. I guess the success of that depends on how far off the main roads the property is.
GottaRide
S
When I was going to college rodeos, I would sometimes rent a stall at various stables. They all required Coggins and some required other vet health forms.
Gunny456
AG
Wanted to comment. We travel with our horses quite a bit. Basically as vacation time to do trail riding at various places across the US.
There is a series that is on cable called "Best of America by Horseback". You my have seen it. Every week it is about a new trail riding destination.
We do trail rides on our places as well but don't have fancy facilities. We just let people come ride on the land.
I will tell you that the places we go to are usually well booked and full. Trail riding seems to be becoming more and more popular and your exposure as a landowner to liability is low due to the Equine and Agro-Tourism laws that are in effect.
To travel across state lines your horse has to have a current health certificate and a current Coggins test certification.
Some intrastate facilities require that as well.
Your access to public land and trails would definitely be an asset.
Areas that are highly populated by Equine owners have the most business of course. Lots of folks like to do a trail ride as a week end trip and don't want to travel too far. Lots of folks buying living quarters trailers and just want a hook up like a RV uses.
However more folks like to camp or stay on cabins on site as they may not have the bucks for a LQ trailer.
CanyonAg77
AG
Are Mark and Brenda Laney still involved in the show? I know he was CEO of it for a while, and I think they appeared on some episodes. If the name looks familiar, his brother Pete was Speaker of the Texas House. They were neighbors /friends of the family in the old home town.
will.mcg
AG
Comment just to say I think this idea would do very well.
Moy
My snowbird neighbors rented out their Michigan property in such a manner and supposedly kept it occupied most summers. I think it's a great idea and there's definitely a market, specifically the folks that do/did horse shows etc. We've kicked around the idea, but just can't commit the time to trailering more than a day yet.
Moy
Forgot to mention..... I don't think you need to supply anything other than a stall with sufficient airflow, water, and electricity. Anyone trailering horses is going to have everything they need to be self-sufficient.

Coggins and other documentation for interstate travel should be viewed before arrival.
Gunny456
AG
I don't know. Wife and I enjoyed watching the show though. Lots of the places they visited I doubt I could ever be able to go trail ride on but it was fun to watch. We have gone to a couple of places in the Ozarks they did shows at and they exceeded our expectations.
Never made the connection about Pete but now that you mention it......
Cool that you knew him...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.