Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Road Tires For Silverado

2,068 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ForeverAg
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks about time to put new shoes on my Silverado. It's 2WD and don't really need ATs. What's a solid tire in 275/55r20 without going over $200/per?

Edit - Preference to quiet and smooth riding
Stat Monitor Repairman
Probably go with Michelin.
fooz
On my 2nd set of Nitto 420S. Aggressive look and are great in rain.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The best - Michelin LTX MS2 or Defenders (both over budget in typical OB fashion). The Michelin's are $210 and worth every penny over your budget.

EastTexAg09
Goodyear Eagle LS-2
Stat Monitor Repairman
Made a bad mistake one time buying Kuhmo brand LT tires made in China.

Was in school and the plan was to save a few bucks.

Sidewalls started to separate after about a year and I had to replace with Michelins. Bought tires twice in a year. Lesson learned.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Michelins. Their rubber formula will outlast anything else you can buy. I got 80k miles on my ATX2s, and that included countless hours on rough caliche ranch roads. I also run Michelins on my other vehicles with similar results. I have run BFG ATs, Cooper, Yokahama, Pirelli, Goodyear and others on various vehicles over the years. Nothing but Michelins for now on. They're worth the money.
ccard257
AG
Look at cooper. Not sure on specific model for you, but my AT3s are at 80k and probably have at least another 5-10 in them. I don't remember what I paid but I remember it being mid pack with other similar tires.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
1) Michelin Defender or LTX MS2s

2A) Yokos
2B) Bridgestone Duelers
2C) Cooper Discoverers

I'm not familiar with the new Yokohama SUV tire but they usually make a good cheaper option to the Michelin's. Their old ones were okay.

The Bridgestone is a solid tire but not as good as Michelin.

The coopers have increased in quality but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about them after seeing how many had tread separation issues in college... some of that was morons running the Zeons (or whatever all terrain knockoff model) in a 4 or 6 ply on their lifted 2500s (305/55/20).
zooguy96
Michelin LTX and call it a day. Seriously. I've gotten 80,000+ due to a recommendation on here. Even with low tread they perform great comparatively.

And I'm a cheap-skate.
jwoodmd
EastTexAg09 said:

Goodyear Eagle LS-2
Avoid! Bought a new SUV with these as OEM. Had some hydroplaning and took to dealer initially thinking it was the vehicle design. Dealer quietly swapped for Michelin's. Took care of the problem.
harge57
AG
Agreed. Terrible tire.
aggiedent
AG
Michelin
Aggieangler93
AG
I had a set of Coopers and they were the noisiest crappy tires I have ever had. I have had a Silverado in some form or fashion since 1996. I am running Yokohama's currently, and they are decent. I think I am looking at Michelin for my next set.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I had good luck with the cooper discoverer. That said, when the factory goodyears wear out, I am going Michelin.
jpistolero02
Michelin for sure. I put the Defender on my Tundra right before deer season and they handled our hill country mud quite well. They are great on the road and excellent in the wet weather. I have had two sets of MS2's on other vehicles and gotten 80K+ on both.
Stat Monitor Repairman
jwoodmd said:

EastTexAg09 said:

Goodyear Eagle LS-2
Avoid! Bought a new SUV with these as OEM. Had some hydroplaning and took to dealer initially thinking it was the vehicle design. Dealer quietly swapped for Michelin's. Took care of the problem.
I agree with this. Seen a lot of Goodyear's put on light duty government vehicles over the years under a GSA contract.

In my experience, the Goodyear's would be wasted at around 20-25k miles.

Was crazy, was almost like the tire was developed just too fulfill a government contract.

I'm sure Goodyear makes some good performance tires and heavy truck tires, but for a light duty truck ... would definitely avoid.
Secolobo
AG
+++++on Michelin LTX.
Go with a 60 series profile tire instead of the 55. Smoother ride and a little more sidewall for off-road, will still fit without rubbing.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
oscar9
AG
EastTexAg09 said:

Goodyear Eagle LS-2

My Sierra came with these and it's the worst tire I've experienced. My ride quality was shot among many more complaints.

My vote would go for Michelin defenders
AgsMnn
AG
Bridgestone Duellers.
rather be fishing
AG
I put Yokohama YK-HTX on my Silverado 13k miles ago. I've been pretty happy with them. They're holding up good.
ForeverAg
AG
It's obvious your answer is Michelin. I run the Ltx at2 tires on my f150 and got 111,000 on them with plenty of tread left but I did start to spin from stops a little at the end.

Other companies might make good tires, but they won't beat a Michelin. DEFENDER, MS2, or AT2.

For the record, if you have 20" rim's I have a set of Hankook 275/55R20 Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires I am trying to get rid of that I just pulled off my current f150 at 1117 miles. I'm selling those for $450
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.