Outdoors
Sponsored by

I want to build a giant swing

2,807 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AtlAg05
DeerHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I plan on building a swing set for my kids who range in age from 13-5. I want to build something that will still be exciting enough for a teenager to enjoy. I was thinking that maybe 12' off the ground with the crossbeam would be sufficient, but then I started wondering how high I could go until the physics of the swinging motion itself became a player. Is 12' too tall, or could I go up to 14'? Will "pumping" (fify protected) on the swing even be effective if the chain is that long? If so, what height do you figure would be optimum?

For the sake of the argument let's assume the building materials will support the weight and energy created, but obviously I'll want to consider that too before building.
AZAG08
AG
What is below for the landing?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Depends on which decade.

70s - hard dirt and broken concrete

80s - pea gravel worn down to hard dirt below the swing

90s. - mulch / wood chips

00s - rubber mulch made from recycled tires

10s environmentally friendly engineered shock absorbing rubber mats made from PTE bottles mined from the pacific garbage patch.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
F Yeah! Merica!
MouthBQ98
AG
We had a wooden swing set my parents built when I was a kid, and it was pretty tall, and we had no problem testing its limits.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anyone remember having contests where kids would launch themselves off the swings to see who could land the farthest ...

Marking the current record with a stick or Dixie cup or something.

People would get crazy and just go flying through the air landing on dirt.

**** was nuts now that I think about it. And i never really remember people getting injured As much as you would think.

Would have been a lot of broken ankles if it wasn't for people wearing Reebok Pumps for extra ankle support during landing.
DeerHunter
This is roughly what I had in mind. These guys sell a 14 footer:

14' Swing
Salt of the water
AG
Had a 12 - 15 fter growing up made out of telephone poles. You can get a pretty good launch off of one.
Waltonloads08
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Depends on which decade.

10s environmentally friendly engineered shock absorbing rubber mats made from PTE bottles mined from the pacific garbage patch.

As someone born in 1985, this is pretty much exactly as I remember it
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Here is what I welded up for my kiddos for their Easter gift. It's all made out of 2 5/8" pipe. I made two corner brackets. This is where the 2 legs and top cross section slide in. That bracket is made out of 2 5/8" inside diameter. Then the 4 legs and top cross section are all 2 5/8 outside diameter (so they can slide into the brackets).

I made the the legs 8' long. When they are welded at an angle, the swing sits about 7' high. I didn't want anything too high and above my fence. The cross piece is 13' long I believe. Has 3 spots for swings. I'd bet it could hold a few adults...if you could find a swing to support their weight!

I notched the leg brackets with a pipe templet deal that wraps around the pipe itself. You trace the outline and cut it off with a plasma or torch. Worked great!

This swings next life will be deer rack for cleaning game. Just need to add a few winches and put longer legs.

Ragoo
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

Depends on which decade.

As someone born in 1985, this is pretty much exactly as I remember it
samsies
CS78
Are you in College Station? If so, you need to come look at what I built and I'll tell you what issues I had to work around. Used a 16' treated 6x6 for the main beam held up with 12' 4x6s. Hardware is galvanized carriage bolts. Will get some pics if not.
rootube
AG
We had one of these in my neighborhood growing up. It was literally like sliding from the moon. That is the longest highest slide I have ever seen since.

Rumor has it if you fall off the slide at the top you burn up on re-entry.
Goodest Poster
AG

Anyone remember having contests where kids would launch themselves off the swings to see who could land the farthest ...

**** was nuts now that I think about it. And i never really remember people getting injured As much as you would think.

Would have been a lot of broken ankles if it wasn't for people wearing Reebok Pumps for extra ankle support during landing.

Rich Yuppie....
Some of us wore LA Gear
Stat Monitor Repairman
Pretty sure I was wearing British Knights

Which probably fell somewhere between LA Gear and some plastic soles **** from Payless.

Now kids walking around *****ing that their 2 year old $800 smartphone is a piece of *****

What a time to be alive.
DeerHunter
I am. I'm going to be using metal but I'd still like to see what you've got.
Rydyn
AG
rootube said:

We had one of these in my neighborhood growing up. It was literally like sliding from the moon. That is the longest highest slide I have ever seen since.

Rumor has it if you fall off the slide at the top you burn up on re-entry.
There used to be one of those at Bear Creek park in Houston. Loved it.
No one is going to give you the education [power / freedom] that you need to overthrow them.
CS78
DeerHunter said:

I am. I'm going to be using metal but I'd still like to see what you've got.
979-2O4-O635

Should be around most of the weekend. Located off Greens Prairie.
C Loves L

I did this among many other things that were dangerous. At 39 my body is paying for it. Jumping off the roof of a house, jumping outta trees that would make most adults soil themselves. If someone with me did it, I'd beat it. If they wouldn't do it, I would. I'm blessed to have 5 kids that didn't take on my dare devishish ways
C Loves L
jftx04 said:

Rich Yuppie....
Some of us wore LA Gear

I remember laughing at you
jpb1999
AG

Yep, we did that... and pretty sure I broke a rib one time my legs went up instead of out and down, landed on my back. But shook it off and it eventually. quit hurting.

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
Saw one of these years ago, always wanted to build one.

Original plans, better photo than the one I linked
Aggietaco
AG

Now that we're back on a playground with our 2yo, my wife and I have rediscovered this game. We eat dirt often.
Log
AG

I did this a lot, and one time got 5 stitches in my forehead for my efforts.
chris1515
AG
If someone built a truly giant swing, let's say 20 feet of chain on each side, how well would that function?

Would it be usable?
AtlAg05
AG
Some friends after college had a large tree that they attached a rope to in the front. We'd get up on the roof to swing down and over the street. There was always a spotter for cars. You don't need to be a kid to do dumb stuff!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.