Outdoors
Sponsored by

Home Insurance... It's outdoors

8,507 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shalackin
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm paying $2400/year thru Allstate and I also have auto insurance through them. I keep hearing others say they're paying $1200/year. I've filled out a ton of website quotes and can't seem to find one under $2300/year.

Where is this magical place that'll save me $1200/year?
03_Aggie
There's a few brokers on the site that can shop it for you. Lierre and Goosehead I think.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
all depends on where you are, how big the house is, how it's constructed, what's covered, deductibles...
$2400 is in line with what I've been paying for homeowner and I have a bunch of policies with my provider

There's a good thread on the Houston board with recommendations and I think there's someone on the board who is a broker for goosehead
jwright4288
AG
I recently bought a house and when I was looking at insurance Esurance was the cheapest for me by a good margin
Buck Compton
AG
My best rate was Allstate. Beat the hell out of USAA and most of the others.

Biggest driver of your cost is going to be your insured replacement value, roof coverage option, personal property coverage, standard deductible, other deductibles, and location.
up-n-aTm
AG
Credit has a HUGE impact on premium! If you are getting quotes online and have not gone thru the full application and entered your SSN, you do not have an accurate quote- only an indication.
Boats and Hose
AG
See if you can get in touch with Casey at Goosehead. He found us a policy that saved us $800 this year.
freakwastaken
AG
Currently buying a house now. Ive had quotes go from $1200 with farmers to all the way to $2700 with Geico. The biggest difference I could see was the company and what was insured. The cheaper policies ended up not even covering the mortgage amount. The 2700 Geico option covered everything plus some. We talked with a Farmer's agent and he ended up getting us about the same coverage as Geico for half the cost.

My advice is to try and talk with an actual agent or broker.
SteveBott
AG
What is the value of your home? What city are you located? As said there are multiple cost drivers at play but my questions are where to start. Also make sure you get replacement coverage
Woods Ag
AG
Katy
3550 sqft.
SteveBott
AG
That is about right. Your home replacement cost is probably around 320-350, it's listed in your appraisal you had purchased the home assuming you financed it. Check there if it has not been too long since that was. Page 3 or 4. You should not insure more then that number. Each insurance company will have their own formula and can vary widely but it's a good benchmark.

I estimate.75 of 1% of the value as cost but that ratio is reduced as the value goes up. And this is for north and west Houston. Peatland or closer to the coast? Go with 1%.
213 Grove
AG
$300k League City

$1296/yr
Woods Ag
AG
What company?
SteveBott
AG
That is a very good rate for that policy. Do you have replacement policy?
case04
AG
I'd love to help you. I'm a broker and work with tons of people on the Houston board. Email is below.

Casey.woodfin@goosehead.com
case04
AG
213 Grove said:

$300k League City

$1296/yr

Is this including or excluding your windstorm premium?
Woods Ag
AG
Email sent, Case.

BrazosDog02
AG
Allstate can keep prices competitive because they never pay claims. Lol.
Bregxit
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Allstate can keep prices competitive because they never pay claims. Lol.
Found this out the hard way when we went for the cheaper option. MetLife adjuster stood on my front porch and said yeah he saw hail damage on our roof, but they were not going to cover it.

Back with USAA now.
lexofer
AG
I was paying around $2,400 for years. They started going up on me so I got a bunch of quotes and couldn't find any better.

I called the Leire guy that sponsors one of the boards here and he found a company that would give me the same coverage for $1,300. I was skeptical but I've been paying that for a few years now. I haven't made a claim, don't plan to unless it's something catastrophic.
213 Grove
AG
Including
danieljustin06
AG
I use Farm Bureau for auto and home. I'm paying $1300 on a 1700 SQ ft house in Denton. They have always been easy to work with and have always gone further for me in auto claims.
SteveBott
AG
I cannot tell you how lucky you are with that policy which is an extreme outlier. You should be paying 1% of value and maybe a little more that close to the coast.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Warning: Biased but informed post

Not all insurance is the same, in fact it can vary wildly from one carrier to another. I recommend Googling All peril vs named peril insurance and then ask yourself if you want insurance that covers only 16 events, or all potential risks, save standard exclusions. Then ask yourself if you would want your contents covered the same way.

Fyi if you have an AllState policy you likely have named peril coverage, ie only 16ish covered perils.

Unfortunately most only learn the hard way when it's too late.

Insurance does not care what your home cost, is worth now, or how much the CAD has it appraised, it only cares about what it would cost to rebuild.

Also a lot agents are lazy and just take the auto value assigned by the carriers internal replacement cost calculators rather than finding pics online or asking you questions about your home. If they do that then your home is likely valued with 100% 8ft ceilings, 60% carpet, and builders grade kitchen and baths, and that's what you'll get paid for when your house is lost.

No one likes to to pay more than they have to for insurance, but if you ever have a major claim, you would happily go back and pay for better options.
Woods Ag
AG
Casey at Goosehead hooked me up.

I'm better insured across the board, lower deductible on tropical storms, and I'm paying about $1000 less/year

Thanks, man!
B-1 83
AG
Buck Compton said:

My best rate was Allstate. Beat the hell out of USAA and most of the others.

Biggest driver of your cost is going to be your insured replacement value, roof coverage option, personal property coverage, standard deductible, other deductibles, and location.
Allstate beat USAA when I first moved to Corpus, now USAA beats the hell out of them.
FiTxAg04
AG
We went with Liere a couple of years ago who got us a policy with Safeco for a competitive price. Unfortunately, we had to file a claim this past December and Safeco/Liberty Mutual were phenomenal to work with. They have great customer service and are extremely quick to process claims, and they get mitigation companies on-site fast, if needed. When we had a problem with one of their vendors, they handled the vendor for us and got things straightened out. Liere was contacting us throughout the process, as well, ensuring that Safeco was handling things to our satisfaction. It sucks when you have to actually use your insurance, but given need I couldn't be happier with both Safeco and Liere.
dubi
AG
Amica insurance
theJonatron
AG
Esurance is about half the rate for other carriers.

Keep in mind though you'll care about cost...until you have a loss.

Goosehead will do the bidding for you, but I have to share from prior experience, my broker was zero help when I had an auto claim where I was not at fault. It will vary broker to broker.
It's fun to do bad things.
Aggie_3
Woods Ag said:

Katy
3550 sqft.

I'm a State Farm Agent and that's actually about average for your area
OE_Ag11
AG
Man the best rate I got was a little over 3k a year in Houston. I'm guessing it doesn't help I'm in an old house.

Liere shopped for me and the policy is with ASI which is part of progressive. Have a claim going through now thanks to all of the hail a couple weeks ago. Should be hearing back tomorrow on what they are covering. Their inspector listed a fair amount that should be unless I get screwed.
mpl35
AG
dubi said:

Amica insurance
they have been great for me. Cheapest option. No claims in the house by have been awesome on three claims on cars.
swampstander
AG
We are currently paying $2450 on a 2000 sq ft home in Anderson county with Travelers Ins. I just got a quote of $1750 from State Farm yesterday.
tex2000
AG
Go with goose head & Casey. Very hard worker to get you what you want.
case04
AG
Woods Ag said:

Casey at Goosehead hooked me up.

I'm better insured across the board, lower deductible on tropical storms, and I'm paying about $1000 less/year

Thanks, man!

Happy to help, thank you for your business!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.