Outdoors
Sponsored by

Thermals

2,903 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by skelso
zarbas77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems there is a new kid on the block with the NVision line, particularly the Halo LR 50. Anyone with any experience or any thoughts on this unit vs Reap IR or MK III. Should we wait for the Pulsar Thermions?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dr_boogs
AG
Skelso's the go-to on this board for thermal (he's forgotten more about the systems than I'll ever know), I'm sure he'll show up with some info for you.
skelso
AG
Nvision is not a new player, as a company they have been around a while. and The Halo is closer in class to the Trijicon. The Thermion will not hold a candle to it.

The Thermion will fill a niche for putting thermal on guns that previously provided challenges. If you not using one of them as a host, I would recommend spending your money elsewhere.

I have not used a Halo yet but know a handful of people dumping their Trijicons for them. They like the controls and the physical package better.

He's a competitor of mine but I dont mind telling you if you want the unbiased ins and outs on a Halo from someone who has put in the hours behind the eyepiece, get in touch with Myron over at Night Vision Outfitters. He'll shoot you straight. Tell his Kelso Arms sent you and you might get a little shaved off the price or some extras thrown in the box, etc.
mdt_2001
Had been considering the Thermion XM38. Was waiting to see some reviews on them. Why do you say to spend money elsewhere? The XM38 looks to be around $3300. Any others you would recommend in that range?
skelso
AG
I'm not saying the Thermion is a bad scope. My reasoning behind my statement earlier is the supply /demand on new thermal products. Based on my experience as a Pulsar dealer for several years, if you aren't already at the top of some dealer's waiting list, it's going to be 6 - 8 months before you can get a scope in your hands. That's why I'm saying if you dont need a scope that mounts in rings, go with something else that you will be able to get your hands on sooner.

As far as comparable scopes go, in the Pulsar line the Trail XQ38 is going to be the closest in price and features. It is going to run you a little more but it also has a higher resolution sensor - 384 core vs 320 core.
tkusak
AG
I have a pulsar xq38 and love it. I have a couple of buddies that have the 50 and the 50 is better hands down, but I'm not sure that it's worth it. I can see for several hundred yards, and no doubt can identify at 150 yards with my 38. The 50 does have a few more features but again if you're just getting into this like I did, the 38 is plenty good imo. That is if you're still looking between night vision vs thermal. I chose thermal so I can use in the daylight and dark, and can see the pigs easily in the dark. At longer distances, the hogs in NV just look like black bushes, but with thermal they can't hide. Just my 2 cents here, and not sure it's worth that.
skelso
AG
tkusak said:

I have a pulsar xq38 and love it. I have a couple of buddies that have the 50 and the 50 is better hands down, but I'm not sure that it's worth it. I can see for several hundred yards, and no doubt can identify at 150 yards with my 38. The 50 does have a few more features but again if you're just getting into this like I did, the 38 is plenty good imo. That is if you're still looking between night vision vs thermal. I chose thermal so I can use in the daylight and dark, and can see the pigs easily in the dark. At longer distances, the hogs in NV just look like black bushes, but with thermal they can't hide. Just my 2 cents here, and not sure it's worth that.

If you stay in the XQ line, the 50 is better in some scenarios and worse in others. For working large fields, the 50 excels because the higher base mag allows you to positive ID at longer distances. In tight cover, the 38 excels because smaller base mag gives wider field or view. So it really comes down to what you do most with it.

If you bump up to the XP line, the 50 actually has a wider field of view than the XQ38 and the added benefit of a higher resolution core. But then you have jumper from entry level to mid level price point.
mdt_2001
Decided to go thermal vs nv. Pretty sure I'm going with Thermion, would like to stay around $3500 and that seems to be good option...
mdt_2001
Thanks Skelso for the info. Do you have a website/store where you sell thermal?
skelso
AG
Yes, I have a website unfortunately it needs an update and I haven't had time... This is a side business for me. I dont stock any thermal. A lot of the models I sell are not currently on the site.

Easiest way to get information is shoot me an email shawn@kelsoarms.com
mdt_2001
Ended up going with the Pulsar Thermion XM38, very impressed so far.
skelso
AG
Glad it's working out for you. Pulsar has really surprised me this time. The roll out of the Thermion has been better stocked than any previous since I've been a dealer for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.