Outdoors
Sponsored by

Whataburger is thinking about selling OUT! $6B

13,703 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rab79
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/-6-billion-for-whataburger-chain-hires-morgan-stanley-to-explore-sale/2007069153

Famous Shoes
AG
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Uh.... Group Buy?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Burdizzo
AG
I was hoping for an IPO with double meat and grilled jalapenos.
FIDO 96
AG
No matter who they sell to and how much the new company says things won't change, eventually it will taste like a Sonic or ballpark burger.
rwv2055
AG
Will they take a check?
FlyFish95
Brace yourself

Cromagnum
AG
Maybe In-N-Out Burger will buy them.
Average Joe
AG
Cromagnum said:

Maybe In-N-Out Burger will buy them.

Shut your dirty mouth!
Burdizzo
AG
FIDO 96 said:

No matter who they sell to and how much the new company says things won't change, eventually it will taste like a Sonic or ballpark burger.

I predict the same thing.

Weird thing is... There is a Whataburger at US281 and IH 410 in San Antonio . It is the one all the WB corporate guys eat lunch at because every time I have eaten there it is full of guys in starch button down shirts and Whataburger security badges. The place is spotless, and the service is top notch. But for some reason the food just doesn't taste as good as all the other Whataburger restaurants I have eaten at. I can't put my finger in what is different, bit it just isn't as good.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
At least they're paying their taxes. Otherwise it would be:

EMY92
AG
Burdizzo said:

FIDO 96 said:

Weird thing is... There is a Whataburger at US281 and IH 410 in San Antonio . It is the one all the WB corporate guys eat lunch at because every time I have eaten there it is full of guys in starch button down shirts and Whataburger security badges. The place is spotless, and the service is top notch. But for some reason the food just doesn't taste as good as all the other Whataburger restaurants I have eaten at. I can't put my finger in what is different, bit it just isn't as good.
Too clean, need some grime to flavorize everything.
C Loves L
FIDO 96 said:

Considering how many Sonic burgers I've had in my life, this isnt a horrible idea to me.

I love Whataburger and Sonic
Burdizzo
AG
EMY92 said:

Burdizzo said:

FIDO 96 said:

Too clean, need some grime to flavorize everything.

They probably spit in the food of their corporate overlords, and some of it gets on my burger.
dr_boogs
AG
C Loves L said:

FIDO 96 said:

Considering how many Sonic burgers I've had in my life, this isnt a horrible idea to me.

I love Whataburger and Sonic
Love Whataburger, can't stand Sonic. Just don't think the food is that good, never have. Then the decade-long Sonic commercial campaign with the two uber-dorks in their sedan or convertible put me in to full on boycott mode.

CowtownAg06
AG
I'm in for Texa$
Burdizzo
AG
I use Whataburger Spicy Ketchup on my Sonic Tater Tots.

Synergy.
chjoak
AG
Burdizzo said:

I use Whataburger Spicy Ketchup on my Sonic Tater Tots.

Synergy.
Always grab 1-2 extra spicy ketchup when I get Whataburger and then use it for ANY french fries that I get from anywhere.
saltydog13
AG
You could just buy it at HEB too
HalifaxAg
AG
Maybe Buccees would step up and buy them.
Log
AG
HalifaxAg said:

Just imagine a Whataburger welded to one side of a Buccees.

Beaver's gonna be pulling in even more dough.
Stat Monitor Repairman
So the Dallas Cowboys organization is valued at 4 billion and Whataburger is worth 6 billion?
Log
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

So the Dallas Cowboys organization is valued at 4 billion and Whataburger is worth 6 billion?

Duh.

Cowboys suck. Whataburger doesn't.
bmc13
AG
selling would make me sad.
BrazosDog02
AG
Log said:

HalifaxAg said:

Just imagine a Whataburger welded to one side of a Buccees.

Beaver's gonna be pulling in even more dough.

Beaver Burger

Get some.
PFG
AG
WB ain't what it use to be.

It's a lot like our other "God bless Texas and _____" cult followings. BlueBell, Shiner, etc. They have a place, but they ain't the only game in town.
gomerschlep
AG
I'm in for a couple hundred bucks
reagan1k
This article is a snipit of the full story.

They're likely going to look to private equity to provide a capital infusion in order to finance their expansion plans. They need capital to do that.

They'll probably sell a minority stake and use the capital to expand rather than try to fund expansion through cash flow or debt.

They aren't looking to sell out. The goal is to expand their footprint.

Whataburger as you know it isn't going anywhere.
Buck Compton
AG
reagan1k said:

This article is a snipit of the full story.

They're likely going to look to private equity to provide a capital infusion in order to finance their expansion plans. They need capital to do that.

They'll probably sell a minority stake and use the capital to expand rather than try to fund expansion through cash flow or debt.

They aren't looking to sell out. The goal is to expand their footprint.

Whataburger as you know it isn't going anywhere.
Yep. They're a conservative company, and scaling isn't cheap at their level. Growing doesn't just mean physical locations. It means new systems, new middle management, etc. as they outgrow their current solutions and have to carefully monitor this growth.

They'd rather finance it through equity than through debt, even if the equity is more expensive. It carries less risk for the company on a cash flow basis, and they want their cash focused on expansion, not debt servicing.
Thunder18
AG
FIDO 96 said:

Hate to break it to you but their burgers taste just like Sonic burgers already
SteveBott
AG
I was a long time WB loyalist until a couple of years ago, at least my local one. It became abundantly clear they are not cooking to order. I mean the last 4-5 times I went I was disappointed. I stopped going. And the local Sonic is always better.
expresswrittenconsent
Sold. Seems the "experts" above were wrong about a cash infusion for a minority stake.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20190614/texas-chain-whataburger-sold-to-chicago-investment-firm
BlueSmoke
SteveBott said:

I was a long time WB loyalist until a couple of years ago, at least my local one. It became abundantly clear they are not cooking to order. I mean the last 4-5 times I went I was disappointed. I stopped going. And the local Sonic is always better.
The one off 423 in Frisco is god-awful. Extensive wait times. More often than not, incorrect orders, etc. Just quit going there now and it's so close to the house...
Nobody cares. Work Harder
hunter2012
AG
They wouldn't have to sold if they made the Chop House Cheddar Burger a permanent fixture on the menu.
PorkEatingCrusader
Sold! To BDT Capital Partners
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.