Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cabins in the Panhandle or NE area of New Mexico

1,912 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old RV Ag
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a cabin in that area for the end of June. We want some great outdoors for all of our boys. It's kind of the middle area between College Station and our family in Colorado. Any recommendations?
jwoodmd
The Anchor said:

Looking for a cabin in that area for the end of June. We want some great outdoors for all of our boys. It's kind of the middle area between College Station and our family in Colorado. Any recommendations?
Give a look at Pendaries in NM - it's a bit more north central but really beautiful area in the mountains. Tres Ritos is another area. Ski resorts will have cabins but these other two are more remote and "quiet."
HSEAG13
I'd recommend red river or angelfire. It's a little longer drive for you, but there is a lot more to do there than the panhandle as far as activities are concerned. However, if you do to decide to come up to the panhandle, do caprock state park or palo duro. Both are awesome in their own right.
aggieland09
AG
If you are in the pan handle Alibates flint quarry national monument is North of Amarillo. If you are in New Mexico then Bandelier National Monument. Bandelier has miles of hiking opportunities. We stopped for only a half day but it seemed like you could spend a week there.
HartWorm93
AG
aggieland09 said:

If you are in the pan handle Alibates flint quarry national monument is North of Amarillo. If you are in New Mexico then Bandelier National Monument. Bandelier has miles of hiking opportunities. We stopped for only a half day but it seemed like you could spend a week there.

Bandelier is great, just beware the rattlesnakes.
Aggiewes
AG
We stayed at Dove's Rest Cabins at Palo Duro. AWESOME.
CanyonAg77
AG
If you want to do Palo Duro, try for the CCC cabins in the park, or the Dove's Rest commercial cabins just outside. The former are rustic in an amazing setting, the latter, modern in an almost as fantastic setting. Unfortunately, not any cabins in the Caprock Canyons area.

It's about about 15 minutes from the city of Canyon to Palo Duro, about 90 minutes to Caprock. An hour to Alibates. 15 minutes to Buffalo Lake NWR.

Red River is a great family outdoors area. Another small, offbeat ski area, in addition to those above is Sipapu. It's close to Tres Ritos, but I don't recall seeing places for rent around Tres Ritos.

Alibates is interesting, but it is one afternoon, not a whole vacation.
jtp01
AG
Not sure about cabins in the Tres Ritos area, but it's one of my favorite places to camp. It's been several years since we were last there, but in a Memorial Day weekend, we never saw another human the whole weekend and it was GLORIOUS!
Ag65Son
AG
Sipapu Ski Resort is just down the road toward Taos from Tres Ritos. We stay there every summer during the first week of July. Quiet, clean, and very economically priced. The Rio Pueblo River runs right through the resort and I've caught many a rainbow and brown trout out of there.
jwoodmd
CanyonAg77 said:

Red River is a great family outdoors area. Another small, offbeat ski area, in addition to those above is Sipapu. It's close to Tres Ritos, but I don't recall seeing places for rent around Tres Ritos.
That's hilarious and splitting hairs. Tres Ritos is "officially" 3 miles from Sipapu. The locals will say Sipapu is at Tres Ritos.
CanyonAg77
AG
You expect an old fart who hasn't been there in years to remember all that?

I remember a lot of our neighbors went to TR when I was a kid, but a lot of the resorts there seem to be closed.
aph7649
AG
My family owns a cabin in Pendaries NM that we rent out. Feel free to PM me if you're interested and I can give you details on our place and/or the general area.
FC12
jtp01 said:

Not sure about cabins in the Tres Ritos area, but it's one of my favorite places to camp. It's been several years since we were last there, but in a Memorial Day weekend, we never saw another human the whole weekend and it was GLORIOUS!

What campgrounds have you stayed in? Any recommendations?
Ag65Son
AG
There's a campground in the Carson National Forrest between Tres Ritos and Sipapu. I can't recall the name, but we drove up in there a couple of years ago and I was astounded at the number of people camping there. There's another National Forrest campground toward Pensaco and Taos that's right off the highway. The Rio Pueblo runs right by the second campground I'm referring to.

Agua Piedra is the one closest to Tres Ritos. Comales is the one past Sipapu. There are three other campgrounds up in the Carson National Forrest off of a Forrest service road. La Junta Canyon is one of them.
FC12
I'm looking for peace, quiet and somewhat secluded so I may need to just pick a spot off a Forrest service road...although I want to be able to park at my site...
The Anchor
AG
Old RV Ag
AG
Ag65Son said:

Sipapu Ski Resort is just down the road toward Taos from Tres Ritos. We stay there every summer during the first week of July. Quiet, clean, and very economically priced. The Rio Pueblo River runs right through the resort and I've caught many a rainbow and brown trout out of there.
If y'all are going back this year it should be great. Snowpack runoff and a wet spring will make the river run great and it will be green. Should be a good summer without campfire restrictions. Got some land up on Holman hill coming up from Mora. No cabins though but good camping. It's already as green as it's been in a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.