Outdoors
Sponsored by

Costas

4,939 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old Sarge
up-n-aTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright OB- I want to know what Costas you guys bought in the recent group buy. Specifically, I want to know lens color and whether you chose glass or plastic.

I am looking for the best glasses to sight cast redfish and am interested in your opinions.

Go.......
ATX_AG_08
AG
Green mirror. Glass.

Search function should turn up some additional threads on this.
FIDO*98*
AG
I have a pair of 580G blue mirror Tuna Alley, a green mirror Tuna Alley, and pair of blue mirror Cat Cay 400G.

Hands down, the best lenses for seeing in the water are my Maui Jim Kaino Coast Amber. Next up the green mirror 580G
Vernada
AG
I have three pair of Costas. One g and two p. I prefer the p. The bridge of my nose can feel the weight difference.
DeadCiv
AG
Just make sure you get white frames.
FIDO*98*
AG
Vernada said:

I have three pair of Costas. One g and two p. I prefer the p. The bridge of my nose can feel the weight difference.

In addition to the optics being better, the MJs glass is significantly lighter than Coasta. It's a big reason I prefer them to Costa now
ttha_aggie_09
AG
DeadCiv said:

Just make sure you get white frames.

And a saltwater soul sticker for your truck to go along with your truck nuts

I really like the Tuna Alleys with the 580G. As sunglasses, I prefer the blue lens. For wade-fishing or shallow water fishing, the green is much better. I have both and didn't realize how much of a difference there is until about two years ago.
TxFig
AG
Does this mean my "Bill Dance sunglasses" from Wal Mart aren't good?
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
agfan2013
AG
Right on Costa's site they have a page that shows the differences in colors and plastic vs glass. I have always gone glass for the better clarity as I dont think they weigh all that much and have never noticed them get "heavy" after wearing for awhile.

Costa Lens Technology

After that it's just as simple as pick out a pair that fits your size head (can filter based on small, medium, large, XL) and is in a style that you like.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I have the fathoms with brown glass lenses. Love them for all outdoors.
up-n-aTm
AG
I titles this thread Costas because I'm pretty sold on them. I've had MJ's but did not like them as they were a ***** to clean. Pretty much had to have windex and a special towel handy at all times.

A friend just bought his first glass lenses because supposedly they don't scratch as easily but they can break. Anyone broke a pair of G's?
will.mcg
AG
Steep & cheap had a good deal on some CatCay Costas last week if you like tortoise. ~$70 shipped.
Vernada
AG
agfan2013 said:

Right on Costa's site they have a page that shows the differences in colors and plastic vs glass. I have always gone glass for the better clarity as I dont think they weigh all that much and have never noticed them get "heavy" after wearing for awhile.

Costa Lens Technology

After that it's just as simple as pick out a pair that fits your size head (can filter based on small, medium, large, XL) and is in a style that you like.

Well, as someone with both plastic and glass I can tell you certainly they my eyes can't tell the difference in clarity, but I absolutely could tell the weight difference.

And I don't mean like 'yeah it feels heavier' but like 'damn the bridge of nose hurts'.
RO519
AG
If you are going to use the glasses purely for sight fishing, you cannot beat the silver sunrise lens color in 580glass lenses. They were designed for sight fishing, but they aren't great for day to day use.
CSTXAg92
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I have a pair of 580G blue mirror Tuna Alley, a green mirror Tuna Alley, and pair of blue mirror Cat Cay 400G.

Hands down, the best lenses for seeing in the water are my Maui Jim Kaino Coast Amber. Next up the green mirror 580G

+1 on Maui Jims

I know the Costa faithful will disagree. I have both. I wanted Costas to be better. And they are good. But the Maui Jims are better.
BigCountryAg
AG
Green 580 glass, Tuna Alley here.
Shallow water bay fishing almost exclusively ULM...a lot.

Had for 5 yrs, and wear every day.

Rubber parts came apart a couple times and Costa sent me completely new pairs 2x.
I'm a believer in their service.

Great glass and great company, IMO.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
sunchaser
AG
I used copper for wading a long time. A son had me test drive his green mirror in the flats....contrast is much better so I bought a pair.

Copper....driving
Blue mirror(gray base......offshore)
Green mirror(copper base......flats)

All are 580G with Jose frames
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
sunchaser said:

I used copper for wading a long time. A son had me test drive his green mirror in the flats....contrast is much better so I bought a pair.

Copper....driving
Blue mirror(gray base......offshore)
Green mirror(copper base......flats)

All are 580G with Jose frames
I don't get out as much as I use to, but the copper (I called it brown) seems to really get me the contrast in the flats and also in water color change as I drive the boat. I still think I see a lot clearer with glass and I don't notice any difference in weight on the bridge of the nose.
planoaggie123
AG
What rubber part?

The lining below my left lense is separating. I am about to send in for repair. Hoping it is covered and even better would be a new pair!
Al Bula
AG
I had a pair of blackout Cortez blue mirror 580G that I had problems with the ear pieces being too loose and the costa emblem blackout chipped off... And I sent them back for repair and they are discontinued. I loved them even more than my other pair of Fisch.

Looks like I'm going for Tuna Alley. Costa is gonna replace them, just have to call and them what I want.

I also like the Rincon but they feel very light. Like almost too light.
planoaggie123
AG
Sent my Saltbreaks in to Costa for repair. First time doing it. Curious to see how it goes. They should arrive at Costa on Thursday. Hoping for less than 3 week total turnaround time before our summer vacation.
FIDO*98*
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Hoping for less than 3 week total turnaround time before our summer vacation.

I'd get some backups if I were you
planoaggie123
AG
I have some backups. Just like those best. I actually have just shy of 4 weeks till we leave....building a little "time to spare" in my own internal expectations haha. Realize they may not come back that quick but i wouldn't have taken them on vacation. in the shape they are in anyways so that's why I went ahead and started the process.
will.mcg
AG
I sent a pair into Costa recently. They received May 6, online account showed "assessment in progress" on May 9, stayed that way till yesterday when I called cause I need them back next week

I dropped them for the 1,000th time & one of the glass lenses spiderwebbed. I could still see out of them but it was a bit annoying cause my eye would sometimes focus on the crack. Anyway, I called them to find out how much longer it would be before I found out if they were going to fix them or what & the person I talked to was very helpful. I had opted to pre-approve non warranty repair(broken lenses are not covered) so they just sent me a new pair. I was able to pick a different color lens on the same frames. So for about what I paid for them(I got a decent deal $100 CatCay blackout) I got a new replacement pair.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks for the update.

I honestly hope they offer new glasses (would like a different style)....i think they will end up fixing but we will see...
planoaggie123
AG
...not to curse the process but relatively quick updates from sending glasses in to assessment and just got notification they are being repaired now...i would think 1 - 2 weeks I should have them back which is perfect.
planoaggie123
AG
Notified repair complete and they are on their way home! Very good customer service!
AggieArcher17
AG
Sent mine in beginning of May. 2 weeks to the day I got a brand new pair in the mail. Love it!
jswags
AG
Toddler broke my frames so I sent them in two weeks ago. I got my repaired glasses yesterday with new frames. Cost me $12.
Wife is an Aggie
Same as many above, I have had my costas break, sent in and new glasses returned for the $12 three different times over the last 6 years.
will.mcg
AG
What broke? Since dropping mine & cracking a lens I got me some of those fancy Costa neck hanger wire.
Wife is an Aggie
Two times one of the arms has broke off... one time snapped in half at the bridge between the eyes. I always have croakies and they are around my neck if not on. I'm sure after years and years of slightly stretching them out to pull them over my head has degraded the hinge.... also sure my young kids trying to pull them off me or grab them off the table hasn't helped.
Old Sarge
AG
Salt Break frames, with 580G lenses in silver mirror (copper base). This lens allows slightly more light through than the green mirror (also copper base). This little bit more light is great for earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon for flats fishing. Also, gives relief from the sun during bright hours, but does not dull out the details. Almost like heightened definition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.