Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lesson Learned: Locked Glove Box Ain't Worth ****

9,275 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TxFig
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgot to lock truck last night apparently. Just happened to be the night 2 guys in hoodies came through street checking handles. 30 seconds from the time they opened driver door to taking off running. Missed several things of value, but broke open my ALWAYS locked glove box and stole my emergency Walther PPS M2. In the grand scheme extremely lucky, but still royally pissed and want them strung up.
80sGeorge
aggieland09
AG
This happened to me around this time last year. Only hit unlocked vehicles. Police cant do jack. Except lecture you on locking the car.
AggieKatie2
AG
They took prints and cam footage but between it being night vision and the hoodies, it's worthless for anything other than time stamps.
gibberish
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Forgot to lock truck last night apparently. Just happened to be the night 2 guys in hoodies came through street checking handles.
Unfortunately they have probably checked your truck before. Random chance does not favor this being an unlucky coincidence.

What are the board's experience with products like Console Vault?
MouthBQ98
AG
Cut off a finger for theft convictions. Eventually they stop.
farmer95
AG
Lockerdown.com

Problem solved.
ShinerDunk93
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Especially effective after the tenth time. Hard to have sticky fingers without fingers
Mark Fairchild
AG
I wish I could say this had never happened to me, but sadly almost exact thing did'
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
DallasAggies01
AG
That sucks. Have had the same thing happen too. Fortunately for me the thief didn't know about the 2nd lower console in my 05 Ram. So the pistol wasn't stolen, but a camera, a bunch of change and other minor stuff were. Including one of my old beat up baseball caps which I thought was odd.
hillcountryag86
AG
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago at La Cantera in SA. Broad daylight, parked 50 feet in front of Nordstrom's. 2015 F-250. Had a Sig P229 and a Ruger .22LR they got. Sick because my Dad gave me the Ruger when I was a kid.

Cops said there several Ford trucks broken in that day at La Cantera, The Rim -- that area of I-10. Most in daylight . Said they are in and out of Fords in seconds.

Interestingly, I saw a news clip the other day of a joint task force of ATF and SA Police working that I-10 corridor because gun thefts out of vehicles is so high there.
dr_boogs
AG
I have a console vault and have been pleased with it. Of course I haven't had a thief test it to give you a complete review.

My perspective is that with determination and the right tools, a thief can get through a console vault too. The problem it creates for them is time and likely not having the right tools on them at the time. In public, the time it may take to break in to it moves it to a project and not a smash and grab. So I think the presence of the vault is more of the deterrent than the actual functionality, if that makes sense.
AZAG08
AG
ShinerDunk93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Especially effective after the tenth time. Hard to have sticky fingers without fingers
Shouldn't take until 10. It could be a progressive system

1st time: 1
2nd time: 2 more
3rd time: 3 more
4th time = nub time
Naveronski
AG
Your car is not a holster.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, mine stays in the locked console if not on me. I know it's not bulletproof but the additional time required to break in should be a big enough deterrent, as you mentioned.

Sucks to hear about break ins around San Antonio, especially since I have a Ford. I am in the rim/la Cantera area frequently.
NoahAg
That sucks.

But am I in the minority in that I avoid leaving guns in my car overnight for just this reason (as much as possible)?
bam02
AG
Those custom fit console safes are very nice, but for the price I will stick with the small cable safes. They are also nice for portability- handy for hotel rooms, etc.

I know they are much more secure but I feel like someone is just gonna shred your console trying to get into it. I guess if they've already caused damage breaking and you're filing a claim anyways it is worth it, though. The cable safes only offer minimal security but I at least feel like I'm doing my due diligence and I don't keep expensive guns in there ever.
ATXAdvisor
AG
I've come to the conclusion that a firearm should either be worn or stored in my home safe. Consoles and glove boxes are too often targeted and easily broken into, especially pickup trucks. The harder you make them to enter, also makes them harder to access for protection.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
This is why I think Singapore has it right. Cane the $*%( out of the POS, then put them at hard labor, for minimum wage, until they pay off what they stole/part of me would also like to make them cover their upkeep, but that might get a bit excessive.
schmellba99
AG
gibberish said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Forgot to lock truck last night apparently. Just happened to be the night 2 guys in hoodies came through street checking handles.
Unfortunately they have probably checked your truck before. Random chance does not favor this being an unlucky coincidence.

My truck was broken into when I was working in SA several years back - the chollo m'fers got my favorite 1911 that go around.

I bought a Console Vault shortly after and installed it. About 6 weeks after my first break in, some other chollos (maybe the same ones, who knows) broke into my truck while I was eating lunch at a restaurant. You could tell they tried to get into the vault, but it did exactly what it was supposed to do in that it prevented the quick snatch and grab from getting in, and they didn't get my XD. So it paid for itself in that singular event because it did what it was supposed to do.

I don't hold the notion that it is a bank vault - because somebody with a little bit of time and some common tools could get into it, but that's not what it is designed for IMO. It is designed to keep snatch and grab opportunistic POS's from getting in because it ups the difficulty factor enough.

First thing I bought when I finally got a new truck - console vault (different brand, but same concept). Well worth the investment to me.
Daddy-O5
AG
I make sure to always bring my gun in at night for this very reason. I don't want it stolen and I definitely don't want it in the hands of a bad guy.

That's said I had a similar incident where they came around checking for unlocked cars, I mistakenly left my truck unlocked but they couldn't get into my middle console vault.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/
TxFig
AG
Guns do not belong in unoccupied cars.

EVER.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
schmellba99
AG
Like clockwork, the usual comments come out. Love it.
Burdizzo
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You have to catch them in order to do that. Most police departments don't bother to even try.
Al Bula
AG
TxFig said:

EVER.
what if your locked car is parked in your locked garage and you have a high tech set of glasses that has a camera embedded into the futuristic lenses, and that camera is pointed right at the location of the gun in the car? It takes 3 seconds tops to get into the garage. Furthermore your home is located dead center in the middle of a desert that is empty for 20 miles in every direction. You have 360 degree cameras and hired security to let you know if anyone approaches. Bloodthirsty jackals also protect your home.

Then could I leave my gun in my car?
Burdizzo
AG
Guns shouldn't be left in a Ford truck. That's for sure.

Numerous stories on the Automotive board about how unsecure Fords are.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
TxFig said:

EVER.

Easier said than done... what if you're traveling and visiting with customers and their office is 30.06? If you're commuting from point A to B and can carry in and out, absolutely no reason to leave in your vehicle. But with many people, such as myself, that's not the case.

I travel a lot and I am often faced with having to either break the law, lock in the safe temporarily in my truck, or not carry at all... what would you do?

I got the safe.
zooguy96
I try not to ever leave anything of value in my vehicle. Ever.

If you want to always have a weapon with you, you can always have something inexpensive that works well and/or have a method of securing it in your vehicle.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
back in the day, I drove a nissan pickup with the rear slider. They worked through there to get it unlocked and started in the change tray, cd's, etc. That is until the found a rutted up pair of drawers in the back seat. don't ask how they got there, just know they were there. Anyway, they pretty much dropped everything on site in the back seat and I assume they hauled @ss. Disgusting but effective.
Watchful Ag
AG
gibberish said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Speaking from experience ... DO NOT get the combo lock. Took a pair of thieves about 30 seconds to get through mine
AgEng06
AG
1-2-3-4 is a bad combo choice.
Watchful Ag
AG
Lmao, I'll blue star that myself ... Unfortunately it was faster for them to snap the combo lock with a pair of pliers rather than guess the correct code.
jamaggie06
AG
That's the same combination I have for my luggage!
txags92
AG
bam02 said:

Those custom fit console safes are very nice, but for the price I will stick with the small cable safes. They are also nice for portability- handy for hotel rooms, etc.

I know they are much more secure but I feel like someone is just gonna shred your console trying to get into it. I guess if they've already caused damage breaking and you're filing a claim anyways it is worth it, though. The cable safes only offer minimal security but I at least feel like I'm doing my due diligence and I don't keep expensive guns in there ever.
In the case of the 3rd generation Toyota Tacomas, you can't fit a cable safe under the front of the driver's seat. So if you want to use one, you have to get out, open the back door, and stow what you are locking up. I always figured that telegraphed to any thief watching the parking lot that you had something of value back there that they should go check out.

The console vaults and cable safes are fine to deter the teenager who is busting windows in parking lots to grab purses and briefcases. They are looking to move fast and grab valuables easily. The guys breaking into cars in driveways at night have the luxury of bringing the tools they need and can take a little more time. My personal opinion is that none of the available options are going to prevent a determined thief from stealing your weapon from a vehicle parked in your driveway overnight. I think console vaults and such are fine if you need a place to put your gun when you can't carry it inside with you. But anybody living in or near a major metro area who is leaving a gun in their vehicle overnight should expect to eventually have it stolen and potentially used in crimes.
JSKolache
AG
Mfers hit our local neighbirhoods every few weeks. My pistol doesnt stay in the vehicle, ever. Carry it, then stash it indoors at night. Always.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.