Outdoors
Sponsored by

Remington rolling block rifles

2,396 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiebear69
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I own one antique shotgun, it was given to me and its nothing special from a collectors standpoint. I don't know a whole lot about antique rifles but recently took an interest in the Remington rolling block rifles.

I would like to purchase one that is operable but plan on putting it on display. Does anyone here own one? What are some things to consider. Good place to buy one?

Thanks
Gunny456
AG
C...., I am fortunate to have a Remington No.1 Sporting Rifle in 45-70 cartridge built in 1886. It was handed down through our family and it is in about 85% condition.
My grandfather used it in the old German "Schutzenfest" outside New Braunfels around 1918.
I have shot it but due to its age and value it is a "safe queen" now.
I enjoyed shooting it so much I purchased a Remington modern production No. 1 Rolling Block Creedmore Target rifle. It came out of the Remington Custom Shop in 1997.
It is in 45-70 as well and I have killed Elk, Whitetail and many exotics with it.
I really like the old single shot rifles and also have a Winchester Model 1885 High Wall Sporting Rifle that was my FIL's rifle. Built in 1901 and is the falling block design, not rolling block.
Winchester brought the 1885 High and Low wall back out in 2003-2006 if I remember correctly, in modern centerfire cartridges. They were nice rifles.
I see the older Remingtons from time to time at some gun shows.
Hope you find one you can't live without.
C Loves L
Thanks for the response. I'm a little jealous of your collection. I know what a falling block rifle is. Are you in Bryan-College Station by chance?
Gunny456
AG
No sir. I had a pretty cool FIL. My wife's dad was the weapons curator at a museum. He was also a armorer for the AMU. He was a accomplished gunsmith and built custom rifles. He built them old school with beautiful wood that he custom carved and shaped.
He had built an extensive collection of colt, smith and Wesson and Winchester's. Some are on display at TAMU and Texas Ranger Museum in Waco today.
I was lucky as heck to marry his daughter. He taught me a lot about older firearms and they were his passion. He passed pretty early in life and that was just a shame. I just wish I knew about firearms what he had forgotten.
When we started dating, my future wife would get mad because he would be out in his shop working on a firearm and I would go out and talk with him and we would never leave on our date. I would just hang with him in the shop.
Thing is he taught my wife competitive shooting with both pistol and rifle and she loves guns as much as I do! Yes I am blessed!!!
sunchaser
aggiebear69
AG
Gunny ... I have a Remington #1 that I'd be willing to sell . It was originally a .22WCF (obsolete) that had deteriorated into a wall hanger. Thanks to a couple or three very talented gunsmiths in Conroe, Missouri and New Mexico it is a very cool 25-20 that shoots well and is original in appearance. Contact me at aggiebear69@gmail.com if you want to discuss. I am in College Station.
C Loves L
The others were too afraid to do so but I will. You need to rule 1 my friend.

P.S cool story
Gunny456
Log
AG
Get on this guy's mailing list. He get's European rolling blocks in fairly regularly. He's got a couple right now, but they are more expensive than usual.

https://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php
aggiebear69
AG
If you want to see photos of the #1 and chat about it I'm happy to do that ... send me an email address but I don't spend my time messing with website photo posting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.