Outdoors
Sponsored by

Reloading Thread?

5,150 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
AstroAggie15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there enough reloaders on the OB that would constitute a reloading thread?

I am judging getting into it (just picked up an RCBS Rock Chucker) and was curious how many OB'ers reload.

Anyone got some good .308 load data?
lexofer
AG
We've had a few threads on reloading questions in the past but not one for just general discussion.

I reload 9mm and .223 in pretty large quantities. I use a Dillon 1050 w/ Ammobot for 9mm and processing .223 brass. Dillon 650 for final loading of .223.

txags92
AG
What we really need is for somebody like Eyeguy to put together a "Basic reloading" class for those of us who know just enough to be interested, and not enough to not be dangerous.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Good chance I am going to be selling my reloading gear. I dont have time for it much anymore and not many places to shoot near me in my new location.
lexofer
AG
txags92 said:

What we really need is for somebody like Eyeguy to put together a "Basic reloading" class for those of us who know just enough to be interested, and not enough to not be dangerous.
Hodgdon Powders has a "Reloading Roadshow" that teaches Reloading 101. They had a bunch of classes in March and April in Houston. Can't find the upcoming dates right now, work computer won't let me.
txags92
AG
lexofer said:

txags92 said:

Hodgdon Powders has a "Reloading Roadshow" that teaches Reloading 101. They had a bunch of classes in March and April in Houston. Can't find the upcoming dates right now, work computer won't let me.
Man I wish I would have known about that. Somebody help us out here with the upcoming dates near Houston. My work blocks any firearms related sites also...
GSS
Reloading for 40+ yrs, love the hobby. First rule to remember: a superb, fast, accurate load in my rifle may shoot like chit in your rifle...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Eliminatus
AG
Been reloading for about 4 years now. I started here as well. Now I cast my own bullets and am now eyeing true bullet swaging. This stuff is addicting. There have been a few good Q&A threads about it over the years.

I have always thought we should get a running thread up on it like the Rainfall one. It's a fun hobby and very Outdoor-sy. I mean what gets more OB than rolling your own ammo?

Get a good reloading book like the Lyman 50th which will cover 95% of your reloading knowledge for the rest of your life. Nearly all powder manufacturers keep updated and free load data on their websites.

Here is the Hodgdon one for example if you decide to go with their powders.

[url]https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle[/url]

BenderRodriguez
AG
Next house I'll be getting into it. Don't have room here.

Starting saving brass to reload though....that I'll then have to move to the new house.....
txags92
AG
txags92 said:

lexofer said:

txags92 said:

Man I wish I would have known about that. Somebody help us out here with the upcoming dates near Houston. My work blocks any firearms related sites also...
Man Hodgdon is apparently very proud of that Reloading Roadshow. So proud in fact, that I can't find any mention of the actual dates or locations anywhere. There are tons of news releases put out in various shooting news sites, but none of them have any dates or locations, and there is nothing at all listed on their website even mentioning it. If anybody has any insider info about the Reloading Roadshow dates and locations, please let us know the secret password, because the interwebs seem to be devoid of actual info about it.
lexofer
lexofer
AG
Not sure how that last one didn't post anything. It's not showing any future dates on mobile. Turns out I know the guy that taught all the Houston classes so I'll shoot him a message and see if he's doing anymore.

www.hodgdon.com/company/roadshow
AstroAggie15
AG
What's everyone's preferred method of cleaning brass?

I'm debating between steel pin wet tumbling & sonic cleaner
schmellba99
AG
Been reloading for about 30 years, give or take. Haven't fired anything up much of late, but still enjoy the process.

I stainless steel wet pin tumble - will never go back to the vibratory method and have never had any luck with ultrasonic. I'm a Hornady LnL AP homer, though Dillon and RCBS also make excellent equipment. I'd be willing to offer advice to anybody wanting to know what you can F up and what not to do - because odds are I've done it all short of a KABOOM.
Eliminatus
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

I'm debating between steel pin wet tumbling & sonic cleaner
Wet tumble is the new jam for most people. I prefer it myself. I have a very nice Dillon dry tumbler that I doubt will ever get turned on again.

That being said, nothing wrong with either of them. I do think that the wet tumbling does require a little more work but the end product has always been more to my liking than dry. You'll find defenders of both and pros and cons tossed around but again. They both work and get the job done. I just like super shiny brass and not having to replace dry media.

Can't speak for sonic. Never tried it and see no point at this stage of my reloading journey.
Doc Hayworth
I've been reloading 22 hornet, 218 bee, 222 mag AI, 6mm-223, 7-30 waters, 300 savage, 45 ACP, 44 mag, 45-70, 375JDJ, 6mm Remington, 7mag, 30-338 for 30+ years and still have all my fingers.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
10-ring used to do beginner reloading classes, but if you can follow instructions and understand the relationship between bullet weight, powder burn rate, and pressure just get any reloading manual, read the front half, put some cartridges together and shoot them. Then prepare for your ocd tendencies to flare up.

I started reloading for 280 9 years ago due to a finicky rifle and poor factory ammo selection. Now i reload 308, 357, 38, 223, 22-250, 30-06, 30-30, 260, 300blk, 6.5 grendel, 458 lott, 300wsm, and cast a couple different .30, .357, and .54 slugs

I wet stainless tumble
FiTxAg04
AG
Quote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins/dp/B00IER21M6/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Stainless+steel+pins&qid=1557971116&s=gateway&sr=8-7
Gunny456
AG
You will totally enjoy it. Very self rewarding. I have been handloading for 43 years. Every single centerfire long gun I own was improved on accuracy dramatically by working up loads for them.
I would love to have thread for it as the OB
Knows a lot of stuff.
I have a couple of .308 loads I use on our ranch. Will send them to you.
One bit of advice when handloading. Remove all distractions and focus when reloading.
It's fun, can save you money, and I find it as good therapy.
Look forward to talking to you more.
jpistolero02
I love reloading. I never got into it to save money. For me it's all about tinkering and accuracy. I love it when a friend gives me a rifle that supposedly won't shoot worth a darn and turning it into a shooter.

Regarding the wet tumbling, I am in complete agreement there. Don't even jack with any other method. I have owned all of them.
AstroAggie15
AG
Gunny456 said:

You will totally enjoy it. Very self rewarding. I have been handloading for 43 years. Every single centerfire long gun I own was improved on accuracy dramatically by working up loads for them.
Knows a lot of stuff.
One bit of advice when handloading. Remove all distractions and focus when reloading.

That's great to know and it's appreciated!

Just purchased a .308 AR10 from eye guy and I'm looking to start working up the ideal load for it. The Hornady ELDX match ammo with 168 gr has preformed decent for me with sub Moa at 100 yards when I'm not jerking the triggers. The chronograph has me at 2650 FPS 5 shot average. Barrel is a ballistic advantage 16" with a 1:10 twist.

I figured I would try to get in that velocity ball park and try Sierra Match Kings and see how it goes from there
txrancher69
AG
Reloading can be a lot of fun and a lifelong hobby. What others have said is certainly true; every rifle has a particular load, powder and bullet it shoots most accurately. Finding that is the challenge. Reloading becomes even more fun when you add a chronograph to your equipment. I started reloading for my Remmington Model 788 in 22-250 while a junior at A&M. I kept all my stuff in a footlocker in our Corps dorm and actually set up many evenings to reload at my desk. Rifle hung on a hook in the closet. That was in 1967 and no one thought anything of it. Can you imagine doing that today?
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Latest project: 125gr hornady ftx-hp load for my Model 60

First powder, 3 charge weights. Recoil was noticeably heavier with each step, and primers seemed flat on #3 at the range so i didn't shoot the top load. Looking at the pic i feel like i may be okay shooting them. Thoughts? Extraction wasn't noticeably sticky on any of them. Next powder is unique, then 231. Using powders on the fast end due to short barrel. I guess what i should do is load up a 13.9, 14.0, 14.1 and 14.2 and creep my way up to that top load. The hole in the orange of the 4.0 target is actually 2 holes

?1

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'd start with varget and 4895 for that 168gr 308 load, those are the powders that have done best for me under 165 game kings
Gunny456
AG
Thought I was the only one who did that. Use to sneak in at the heavy Equipment school land in the evenings and shoot.
Got caught by deputy sheriff but he did nothing and started meeting us some evenings to plink with us.
Can you imagine that today??
Gunny456
AG
My .308 loads are for my .308 bolt rifles. The one I use the most is 120 grain Sierra Spitzer. Will look up the powder can't remember getting old. Shoot it in a Sako Varmint. Use it for culling white tails on ranch. Less than .5 MOA. Low recoil.
AggiePetro07
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Gunny456 said:

Knows a lot of stuff.

That's great to know and it's appreciated!

Just purchased a .308 AR10 from eye guy and I'm looking to start working up the ideal load for it. The Hornady ELDX match ammo with 168 gr has preformed decent for me with sub Moa at 100 yards when I'm not jerking the triggers. The chronograph has me at 2650 FPS 5 shot average. Barrel is a ballistic advantage 16" with a 1:10 twist.

I figured I would try to get in that velocity ball park and try Sierra Match Kings and see how it goes from there
Varget does well for me.

44.8 gr Varget, 175 SMKs @ 2.825" COAL, CCI 200.

Good accuracy out of my Rem 700 SPS Varmint. This was at 300 yards.

With a gas gun and 16" barrel, you might need a faster powder.

IMR 4895 or 4064 might be better. Hell, even Ramshot TAC would be a good one to try.
GSS
I saved this link The Reloading Process , for newbies interested in getting into the hobby.

Brownells also has series of YouTube videos on reloading.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
schmellba99
AG
You aren't starting to flatten the primers to any appreciable degree IMO in your high load.

How was extraction of the empty brass? Sticking or any issues getting them out of the cylinder?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks, I guess I just got concerned because 14.0 was pretty snappy and the primers looked flatter than the 13.3gr load, but I agree with you, the edges of the primers are still rounded, I have had some rifle rounds that got very sharp corners. Maybe I'll load up another 5 at 14.0 and see if the 2 fliers were just me, then 5 14.2gr to bridge the gap, and if I don't get any warning signs at 14.2 go ahead and shoot the 14.4s. I'm probably being overly cautious but more shooting is more fun anyway, right?
TwoMarksHand
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

I've been reloading 22 hornet, 218 bee, 222 mag AI, 6mm-223, 7-30 waters, 300 savage, 45 ACP, 44 mag, 45-70, 375JDJ, 6mm Remington, 7mag, 30-338 for 30+ years and still have all my fingers.
Where do you get 218 bee brass?
Eliminatus
AG
Just curious as to how deep the rabbit hole some of ya have gone. Doing some spring cleaning and realized I have 4 presses currently. Dream of another (Dillon 1050) and eyeing another for actual purchase (Lyman AA 8 turret).

I only need one press. I know this. I don't even bulk load anymore. But I love this hobby and will keep acquiring tools and components.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I have 2 rock chuckers and a lee progressive that needs some parts. One rc is for loading, one is my "outside press" for sizing. I cut the handle attachment off this one and welded on a 1/2" female socket so i could use a torque wrench when lee collett sizing (how's that for ocd?). Need to sell the lee, it's a Rube Goldberg contraption. Want a Dillon square whatever the model is, luckily i haven't been looking too hard
TxSquarebody
Hoyt Ag said:

Good chance I am going to be selling my reloading gear. I dont have time for it much anymore and not many places to shoot near me in my new location.

May be interested in your gear. My old hand me down Texan press is almost unusable.
schmellba99
AG
Eliminatus said:

Just curious as to how deep the rabbit hole some of ya have gone. Doing some spring cleaning and realized I have 4 presses currently. Dream of another (Dillon 1050) and eyeing another for actual purchase (Lyman AA 8 turret).

I only need one press. I know this. I don't even bulk load anymore. But I love this hobby and will keep acquiring tools and components.
Between metallic and shotgun, I have 4 presses and enough tools and what not that I don't care to inventory. Doesn't matter if they get used a lot or infrequently to me, I have them and can use them whenever I want.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.