Outdoors
Sponsored by

What is your go to lure for bass fishing?

5,850 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boulderaggie
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In early season colder weather? Summer hot weather?

The lipless crankbait seems to deliver pretty consistently. My favorite, however, is when they are hitting topwater lures. Poppers, frogs, etc.

Some probably prefer plastics. Texas rig, etc. Thoughts? I'm a decent bass fisherman, but hoping to learn new tricks from you experts!
dtkprowler
AG
H&H spinner. Single Colorado blade. Chartreuse or white. $1.99. Wear em out!
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Texas rigged Zoom worm in watermelon red
dr_boogs
AG
Tiny torpedo for top water. My favorite pattern has a dark almost black back and green and yellow sides. Two treble hooks. Lethal on large mouth at our place.

For artificial, we tear them up with Sassy Shad on a 1/8 oz yellow jig head. Shad is a gray and black color and looks like a minnow or small bass.

Here's one from the past, a Redfin by Repala I think. Mine is black and gold and works well as an intermediate between top water and sinking artificials. Grandfather gave it to me in '86 and I still catch fish on it to this day. He died the next year so it means a lot to me. I fished with him and that lure the weekend before he was killed. Funny how something like a little plastic lure can take you back in time and mean so much because of the memories it invokes.
WestTexasAg
AG
dr_boogs said:

Tiny torpedo for top water. My favorite pattern has a dark almost black back and green and yellow sides. Two treble hooks. Lethal on large mouth at our place.

For artificial, we tear them up with Sassy Shad on a 1/8 oz yellow jig head. Shad is a gray and black color and looks like a minnow or small bass.

Here's one from the past, a Redfin by Repala I think. Mine is black and gold and works well as an intermediate between top water and sinking artificials. Grandfather gave it to me in '86 and I still catch fish on it to this day. He died the next year so it means a lot to me. I fished with him and that lure the weekend before he was killed. Funny how something like a little plastic lure can take you back in time and mean so much because of the memories it invokes.
95 Buzzbait
I agree with all the above ....black Lizzard with a green tail Texas rigged was a go to but I gotta tell ya, I really enjoy fishing a chartreuse/Black jig (with or without pig) in deeper water with structures....I love the hook set action ....

Buzzbait is just what my biggest catch was on....
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Top water provides the most fun

Texas rigged weightless senko is what I've been using lately.
MouthBQ98
AG
Best bass I have hooked were on rapala stickbaits. Rebel teenycraw plugs work well too.
Mas89
AG
Medium sized silver Pop R. Love the top water hit.
4stringAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Top water provides the most fun

Texas rigged weightless senko is what I've been using lately.

Same here on the Texas rigged weightless senko. The sprayed grass color bass pro shops brand stik-O is a killer on all the small lakes around the Memphis area I fish.

Also had good luck on Booyahs Pond Magic double blade spinners.
Hhilton82
AG
Ribbit frog, pop-r or buzz bait.
Love me some clouser flies as well.
C Loves L
Rubber worm or shad
TAMUallen
AG
I love some chatterbaits or a popper if the water is calm
AggiePetro07
AG
Yellow double Colorado H&H Spinner.

But I remember when they were $0.89 and I could buy a summer's worth for $10.
Michael Shumard
Tequilla sunrise power worm in the evenings or mornings.

Zoom Fluke weightless in ponds or calm lakes
Drip99
AG
Depends mostly where you are fishing. Grass lakes I use a margarita colored roboworm dropshot rigged on spinning tackle with 8-10 lb test line in the fall-early spring. This time of year I switch to the lipless, square bills and a frog. In the rivers I like a swim bait or jig with craw trailer. I always have a heavy duty rod rigged up with a bama/umbrella rig to throw over the top of submerged vegetation. The key to me is to identify where I am fishing and then setup 5-6 rods with different bait that I think will be productive prior to getting on the water but I am in a kayak so its easier to rig up at home vs. on the water.
allMondjoy
Watermelon/red frog- fast in warm, slow slow in cold.
Favorite- tiny torpedo
duddleysdraw88
AG
Can't go wrong fishing farm tanks with a float bobber on a minnow!
FiTxAg04
AG
Biospawn Exoswim rigged on a 3/0 Owner willow underspin.
BlueSmoke
Top water & blue/silver rattle traps at our place.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
C4D
AG
What ever works best that day.
Cassius
Depends.

late winter, pre-spawn: chrome or red Rattle Trap.

post spawn, mid summer: Carolina rig

fall: Senko on the flats and banks

I've caught my biggest fish on Carolina Rigs and Jigs, but jigs only when the water is high and up in the buck brush. Jigs are my favorite way to fish, but only get the opportunity when the water is high.
Cassius
One more thing about jig fishing: in the dead of the winter, with ice forming on my line, on a sunny day, I've caught huge sacks of largemouth flipping jigs in the brush around the shoreline when the water is high. I think the fish like to hang around close to the dark cover because it warms in the sun.
kyledr04
AG
Texas rig zoom watermelon red baby brush hog
Post removed:
by user
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

Texas rigged Zoom worm in watermelon red
This or a hollow body frog.
NW80
AG
dtkprowler said:

H&H spinner. Single Colorado blade. Chartreuse or white. $1.99. Wear em out!

This in spades!!!!
The_Waco_Kid
AG
I just use a brass hook with a hollow body, typically blank and chartreuse or red and white. Hooks them damn near every time.
SanAntoneAg
AG
As I kid I used to love catching bass on a Bill Plummer SuperFrog.

Naturally, they are no longer made.
ironmanag
AG
Pumpkin bush hog on a carolina rig.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Weightless Gary Yamamoto Senko [watermelon or green pumpkin]; sometimes wacky rigged; sometimes TX rig.
EFE
AG
Pink Sluggo
arrow
AG
Zoom Super Fluke in Arkansas Shiner
aftershock
I normally take 3 poles with me. One has a soft plastic, one a hard plastic and one a top water. If it's too grassy I'll leave the hard plastic at the house.

Soft plastic TX rig lizard. Black body w/ blue or chart tail. Seems to be pretty consistent at the pond behind our place. (Although, they'll bite almost anything... I'm spoiled)

Hard plastic, I like the RatLTrap in LivN Chrome.

Topwater, normally the Tourney Special top water poppers that BPS always sells for cheap, in chrome.
walkon87
AG
Spit N Image - great topwater you can make dance
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.