Outdoors
Sponsored by

New sunglasses - Costa, Smith, or Maui's Jim

19,544 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by FunkyTownAg
Texanick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do y'all think? I used to wear Costas then made the switch to Smith. Looking for some flats fishing glasses.
fightingfarmer09
580G Costa Green Mirror

Any frame on SteepandCheap that fits.
RAB87
AG
Maui Jim and it's not even close.
agfan2013
AG
Costa.

Whatever frame fits you in blue mirror. I have owned pairs in blue, silver, and green mirrored and like the contrast on the blues the most.
ftworthag02
AG
I love my Maui banyans and have a pair of wiki wiki
https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/rimless/banyans
https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/aviators/wiki-wiki?variantCode=HS246-16
dr_boogs
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

580G Costa Green Mirror

Any frame on SteepandCheap that fits.

I came to post this but fightingfarmer beat me to it.
mpl35
AG
RAB87 said:

this is my choice
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Maui Jim - Peahi's
aTm2004
AG
Bought a pair of these last year and love them. They've been making replacement lenses for popular brands for a while and just started making their own frames.

https://www.revantoptics.com/sunglasses
BrazosDog02
AG
Costa has a dooooosh factor prebuilt in that doesn't fit me great. I have a tough time with them.
Woods Ag
AG
Maui or Smiths. Love them both.

Costas are way overrated. They may have been great and innovative 20 years ago, but they're surviving on name alone at this point.
ironmanag
AG
Pugs

Cheap, last forever, if you lose them so what buy a new pair.

I can buy 15 pugs for the price of one of those others and I will have them just as long.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Texkitch21
Try a bunch on and buy what fits best. Between Costa and Smith the lens quality isn't much different.

Smiths guide's choice fit me best for long days on the water. The chroma pop lenses are high quality and smiths customer service and warranties are the real deal.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Costa
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SabineAg
AG
Just made the switch to smiths and they've been great however after only having them for 2 months, the hinges are extremely loose and wobbly. I'm really disappointed as I really like them more than my Costas. Anyone ever have this issue with smiths before?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
So a few things... it's that time of year and I'm trying to get the costa buy set. I'll go ahead and call it official for tomorrow... there will be a thread.

First off, when looking at sunglasses, a lot depends on end use. Costa was developed for on the water use and are still the best at that, in my opinion. Of the big sport glasses:

Costa - Fishing
Maui - Fashion
Smith - Active wear
oakley - Heavy Active wear

Few key points about each:

Costa does one thing that sets them apart with glass, mirrored lenses: they put the mirror coating inside. That in and of itself is a huge deal and makes them much more suited for saltwater than any of the others. You can clean the everliving crap out of them with your t-shirt and you won't scratch the lens.

Maui has a really nice mirror design that I loved when I sold them. The squint mirror looks cool, but also has a purpose... it gives every glare resistance from upper (overhead) and lower (road or water) glare while leaving the central vision unchanged. With plastic lenses, maui does do some better quality lenses than most of the rest. With glass, well, glass is glass so no big optical difference there.

Both costa and Maui add some enhancements to their lenses to make colors pop more than most of the other companies out there.

Smiths - I always liked these for people who were active but not crazy so. Their frames tend to be heavier than oakley so I give the not to oakley for extreme active use, but not many people hit that area.

oakley - Named after a dog. These are for the heavy runners and sports people. They also do make ballistic frames now, which are cool. Jabber just picked up a set. Of the four mentioned, optics on these are the least elite. They only run polycarbonate lenses and... I don't care that they say they get the top 1% of poly produced, the top 1% of cow manure is still cow manure. They are great at what they do, but not in the same category in regards to optics as the rest.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Average Joe
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Costa has a dooooosh factor prebuilt in that doesn't fit me great. I have a tough time with them.
It should come with a yeti cup and salt life sticker.
BrazosDog02
AG
Average Joe said:

BrazosDog02 said:

It should come with a yeti cup and salt life sticker.

Don't get me wrong, I'll doooooosh the hell out of a pair one day when I can justify it. Hahahaha. Never found a pair I just loved but one day I will. Lol.
mike_ags_fan12
I've been sporting Arnettes for 3 years now. Good sunglasses
Mas89
AG
Have worn all three and I prefer the lightest available weight wise. Maui's and it's not even close.
However they are also the most fragile.
MrWonderful
AG
I drop the crap out of my shades...so glass was out. I tried out Kaenons and really like them so far. I really don't like the costa "look" and don't fish enough to have a pair just for that. The SR-91 lenses in ultra brown are fantastic for an all around shade.
Drip99
AG
What is recommended for bass fishing, lawn mowing, boating/floating, occasional round of golf, driving and will cut prescription lenses? I've been wearing Oakley for a decade but pondering the move to costa.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
JesusQuintana said:

What is recommended for bass fishing, lawn mowing, boating/floating, occasional round of golf, driving and will cut prescription lenses? I've been wearing Oakley for a decade but pondering the move to costa.
Costa with green mirror lenses is best for freshwater. Glass or plastic depends on waht you want out of them, the glass lenses are a lot hardier for most things but are heavy and can shatter. The poly lenses will scratch. So, pick your poison.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Smith - Guide choice. I own all 3 and this is my pick.
Woods Ag
AG
The glass option with Costas are really heavy. I was really into the idea of glass until I had them on all day outdoors. It's not comfortable for long periods of time.

Depends on what you're doing with them.

My negative on Costa is that the frames start peeling quickly. Haven't had this happen with any other brand (Oakley, Ray Ban, Maui, or Smith) but I've had it happen with both pairs of Costas
KALALL
AG
Costa has great customer service and a fantastic warranty. I sent in a pair of 6 year old glasses the other day and they just told me to pick out any new pair since they no longer made that frame. Personally I like the heavier feel to glass than polycarbonate lenses.
JSKolache
AG
Just get some yetis
TXAG 05
AG
Woods Ag said:

The glass option with Costas are really heavy. I was really into the idea of glass until I had them on all day outdoors. It's not comfortable for long periods of time.

Do you have a weak neck or something? I usually have my Costas on all day and have never felt like they were heavy or uncomfortable.
CSTXAg92
AG
RAB87 said:

I've got both and I like Maui Jims better, even for fishing. The lenses are just clearer, and I'd even say my eyes feel better after a day on the water behind Maui Jims.

There is one exception... I wear readers, so if I know I'm going to be tying a lot I do prefer the Costa C-Mates that have readers/magnification built into the bottom third or so of the lenses. Much more convenient that swapping from sun glasses to readers all day long when on the water.

Tuna Alley here:
https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/c-mates-readers

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Woods Ag said:

Do you have a weak neck or something? I usually have my Costas on all day and have never felt like they were heavy or uncomfortable.

I would have thought the same thing until I switched from Costas to Smith Guide Choice. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Costa glass, but the Smith Chromapop lenses are just as good and less than half the weight. A lot more comfortable
mpl35
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

RAB87 said:

I've got both and I like Maui Jims better, even for fishing. The lenses are just clearer, and I'd even say my eyes feel better after a day on the water behind Maui Jims.

There is one exception... I wear readers, so if I know I'm going to be tying a lot I do prefer the Costa C-Mates that have readers/magnification built into the bottom third or so of the lenses. Much more convenient that swapping from sun glasses to readers all day long when on the water.

Tuna Alley here:
https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/c-mates-readers

Maui Jim's offer readers
FancyKetchup14
AG
Have tried on Costas, never was a fan. Can't justify the MJ prices (I know they are badass glasses). Have worn Ray Bans and Smiths.

I love my Smith's. I don't see myself purchasing from a different brand anytime soon. I wear the Outlier 2's with the ChromePop lenses. Have fished in them, driven in them, ran, and hiked in them. Great all around glasses that don't break the bank.
sunchaser
AG
If you don't like weight of glass you ought to bypass poly carbonate and go to Trivex...it's lighter.
Woods Ag
AG
lol it's not about any amount of strength. I know you're joking, and it may just be me that notices. I've bought and wear a lot of different sunglasses and these glass Costas are the only ones where I noticed that it's weighing on my nose.

If I'm outside busting my ass all day be it hiking in the mountains, yard work, or working out, I don't want to notice my glasses.

If you're a fisherman, I can see why it wouldn't matter and these may be the glasses for you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.