Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tortillas on the grill

6,064 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gwellis
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
So, in my long term search to improve my cooking skills and way better quality food, I've been playing around with tortillas. I love heb fresh cooked tortillas, but they don't last long because they don't have preservatives. Cool, they taste better but they go bad too quickly.

I've tried toasting regular flour tortillas on a trip or skillet, and they are better but still not as good as the heb ones. I also have tried the ones that you cool yourself, and they are a huge jump up in quality but still, I felt something was missing. Then I stumbled onto Tortillaland tortillas at Kroger's and I fell in love. They only have five ingredients and are raw, but because there are no eggs they don't go bad exceptionally fast. They recommend cooking them in a skillet but I toss them directly on the grill.

Absolutely amazing! They puff up while you cook them and get just a little charred. This means lots of flavor. And, they are actually flakey, almost like croissant rolls.

These have been a game changer for me. Try them out! Favorite thing.... Quesadillas. Grilled... Then fried in butter.... Telling you. If you haven't tried these, you need to.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
FIDO*98*
AG
Just put the HEB ones in the fridge instead of the pantry. They'll stay good for a couple of weeks. I throw mine over my gas burners to heat them up every time and give a little extra browning

Quote:

They only have five ingredients and are raw, but because there are no eggs they don't go bad exceptionally fast

This confused the hell out of me. What tortilla in the history of tortillas has ever had eggs in them? Mold is a function of moisture in a bread baked without preservatives.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Is that keto??
AnScAggie
AG
You ain't had a good store bought tortilla until you've had a Hillcrest Bakery from Hebbronville tortilla.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
brs4688 said:

Is that keto??

Been off keto since staff went haywire. Probably jumping back on shortly. Just too much stress to deal with a diet like that as well
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Would of preferred just a simple yes so that I can carry on with tortillas
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Well, I think mission makes some very low carb tortillas that I pretty much lived on during keto. 6 net carbs each. Had to be careful through the rest of the day but could usually eat two and still stay in keto
SMM48
AG
Those butter tortillas from heb are pretty damn good.....
TxSquarebody
TheEyeGuy said:

brs4688 said:

Is that keto??

Been off keto since staff went haywire. Probably jumping back on shortly. Just too much stress to deal with a diet like that as well

When you jump back on keto, fry shredded cheese in a skillet to create a "tortilla". Enjoy!
FIDO*98*
AG
FIDO*98* said:

What tortilla in the history of tortillas has ever had eggs in them?

Ever hear of a Spanish Tortilla dumbass?

thought I'd beat someone to it
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My ass got fatter just reading about butter fried tortillas. Sounds delicious though.
IronRed13
AG
There's an HEB brand CarbSmart tortilla too. If I remember right it's 4net each. Love em when we need quesadillas or tacos on keto. They toast up pretty well into chips for nachos
SMM48
AG
Not butter fried.....they're regular tortillas, but have a buttery feel (best I can describe them)

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-select-ingredients-butter-tortillas/411413
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Just put the HEB ones in the fridge instead of the pantry. They'll stay good for a couple of weeks. I throw mine over my gas burners to heat them up every time and give a little extra browning

Quote:

They only have five ingredients and are raw, but because there are no eggs they don't go bad exceptionally fast

This confused the hell out of me. What tortilla in the history of tortillas has ever had eggs in them? Mold is a function of moisture in a bread baked without preservatives.

Never really looked into it. The big deal for me was the raw tortillas that you can buy generally don't last long.
FIDO*98*
AG
Gotcha. I never really liked those so I was confused. Thought you were talking about the ones they crank out in the Bakery on the tortilla machine.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Gotcha. I never really liked those so I was confused. Thought you were talking about the ones they crank out in the Bakery on the tortilla machine.
Pretty sure those are.
FIDO*98*
AG
Looks like we have opposite taste in Tortillas then. Those refrigerated ready-to-cook taste like the gross tortillas at Los Cucos to me (Probably because they use them). I much prefer the fresh dough tortillas made on the machine. Back to my original reply. Stick those in the fridge and they last quite a while.

HEB carries some that are similar to Tortillaland. Give those a shot and at least you don't have to go into a Kroger.
HalifaxAg
AG
You can get a better deal on the Tortilla Land ones at Costco.

They sell big packages of them. I split the package, put half in the freezer and half in the fridge. They will last a good long while in the fridge but we eat a lot of tortillas, so a half package usually lasts 2-3 weeks or so. When you run out, put the frozen ones in the fridge and by morning, they will be ready to go.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
You said "Kroger's"

I can't concentrate now.

Do you ever shop at Walmart's or Tom Thumb's?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

You said "Kroger's"

I can't concentrate now.

Do you ever shop at Walmart's or Tom Thumb's?
Spreadsheet updated with how to trigger Capt. Augustus McCrae's
Ducks4brkfast
AG
When you're ready to take your last and final step into tortilla heaven, this is what will take you there.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

When you're ready to take your last and final step into tortilla heaven, this is what will take you there.

I LOVE THOSE. They used to even sell the actual Tortillas at Kroger's. Then they stopped and I was sad.
FIDO*98*
AG
Tortillas and Donuts are two things that are so cheap with very little room for improvement that there is just no reason to make your own. Plus the mess you make isn't worth the $ you save. If I want something better than HEB, I'll hit a taqueria and get a dozen for around $3 usually.

Now if I didn't live in Texas, it would be a different story
jakeaggie84
AG
HEB are my favorite, but I love the fact that I can toast the tortilla Land ones for 30 seconds quick and eat them pretty raw with a little melted butter on them.
76Ag
AG
I eat low carb every day. Tortillas have 19 grams each. It's rare to find low carb bread but Chompies is the best as 2 grams per slice. My wife and I have tried lots of different things an we have found a few. I eat meat and lots of green veggies so I don't have to take a bunch of pills.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

HEB are my favorite, but I love the fact that I can toast the tortilla Land ones for 30 seconds quick and eat them pretty raw with a little melted butter on them.
This... Soooo much this. Add a little sugar and cinnamon.... *Homer Drool*
rootube
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Question on this. I've seen this at HEB. It says just add water. Don't you need shortening or lard? I'm prepared to drive to HEB right now if they have cracked that DiVinci code.
FIDO*98*
AG
It's got shortening in it
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
rootube said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Question on this. I've seen this at HEB. It says just add water. Don't you need shortening or lard? I'm prepared to drive to HEB right now if they have cracked that DiVinci code.
Just water.

On these, they come out stupid thick unless you really really get them thin. Now, that's part of what I love about them. But not everyone does.
rootube
AG
FIDO*98* said:

It's got shortening in it
Well I'll be darned. I guess there should be a short line at HEB at 9PM then. Those folks at White Wings must be wizards. Have you tried making biscuits with it? If I can make biscuits and tortillas without shortening then my head may explode.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've never bought it. Just saw the label once. The only time I made flour tortillas it was from mixing and measuring all ingredients. Again, with the labor and mess involved it's just not worth it. Mixing and measuring was maybe a minute of work. The resting, rolling, cleaning, etc. is where tortilla making drags out. I'd just rather put that same energy into what goes in them. I'm fortunate though, I can easily stop at a dozen places on any given day and get great homemade tortillas

Gut feeling is that it would not work well for biscuits. You need varying size shortening pockets throughout the dough to create the flakiness. Plus I use 2/3 shortening and 1/3 butter so it wouldn't save me any real time.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

rootube said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Just water.

On these, they come out stupid thick unless you really really get them thin. Now, that's part of what I love about them. But not everyone does.

Just water but good grief like EyeGuy says they're thick and chewy.

Trust me on this. Make them and you'll see they're damn near better than any tortilla you can get anywhere else.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

TheEyeGuy said:

rootube said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Just water.

Just water but good grief like EyeGuy says they're thick and chewy.

Trust me on this. Make them and you'll see they're damn near better than any tortilla you can get anywhere else.
If you're ever in Longview go to Papacita's... their tortillas are nearly identical and they have this melted butter in a bottle at the table to put on them. Sooooo delicious.
FIDO*98*
AG
That isn't melted butter, it's liquid margarine. Those East Texas Meth Belt folks squirt that nasty sh*t into their hot sauce before they dip their chips.
YogiBeers
AG
Make sure you use a little flour as you roll them, a 2" piece of PVC pipe works well if you don't have a rolling pin. Roll one way, turn tortilla 90 degrees and roll again. Repeat until they are thin, like really thin. My dad cut my mom and every family member a 1/4 steel plate to cook and reheat the tortillas, that's what we use at our house. The comal sits in the back burner.

It's in spanish but you can see how she makes them. Flour, butter, water, salt, and a little muscle.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.