Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wireless Dog Fences are outdoors

1,336 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by walkon87
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a recommendation for a wireless dog fence system?

We are about to move into a new house (new build) and until we get a fence put up, I thought a wireless fence might be a good solution to keep the dogs from roaming too far.

Anyone have a system they like? Or one to stay away from? Any other solutions you would recommend?
Aggie_3
Following
agswin1988
AG
where are you located?
FSGuide
I have one I bought from Petsmart a few years ago but I never got around to installing it. I'd let it go at a decent price if you are interested. Thetexaspi@gmail.com

I'll go find it and post the make / model later today
AggieAces06
AG
We are in College Station and will be on about 6 acres. I just need something to keep them close to the house when we let them out to go to the bathroom.
agswin1988
AG
If you are in the Houston area, call Jeff with Dogwatch. We are fosters for GSP and have a Lab that all liked to previously try to escape or even climb and leap fences. We were going crazy and called all the companies and Jeff was by far the most courteous and sat down and explained the differences in all the different types of fencing out there.

His prices were very competitive and we have had him come back out and make a few adjustments even under warranty and he was topnotch. his phone number is 832-514-1909
Fleen
I probably have the same one FSGuide is speaking of. Bought at PetsMart 8 years ago, still runs like a champ. Keeps my fence climbing Boxer/Whippet mix on property. Has an adjustable radius, variable intensity, etc., buy the collar replacement batteries in bulk on-line...
RebelE91
AG
Not the answer you are looking for, but I bought one once from Petsmart and installed it in my backyard. My lab had a habit of jumping the privacy fence so I thought a wireless fence would keep him off it. And it would, until the lab really wanted to get out. He would walk right through the zone and hop the fence. Even if I put the fence on it's highest setting. His whole neck and shoulder area was twitching from the shocks but he didn't care. At least the one from Petsmart was not the solution I thought it was going to be.
AggieAces06
AG
That is a concern, but we have trained them with shock collars to be off leash and listen to commands, so I think they would pick up the fence concept. Also they are both over 10, so their hardheadness is hopefully gone.

But thank you for the good concern to take into consideration.

We have meet with the guys who install the invisible fence brand, but decided that wasn't a route we wanted to go permanently.
MrWonderful
AG
Why not get the wireless version and set a decent radius? That way when you get a fence there's no wire to pick up
AggieAces06
AG
Do you mean from Invisible Fence? Theirs are GPS based and costly. They run off rechargeable batteries that have to be changed out about every other day.

Hence why I am looking for a cheaper short term alternative...
EMY92
AG
I had one for my dogs. My GSD would run right through it. He knew he would only get zapped for about 16', he could cover that in a split second. However, it was enough to keep him from returning to the yard.

My little dog got shocked once, after that if the collar was put on him, he wouldn't move an inch. It worked too well to be useful.

I went to TSC and bought a hot wire, installed that and it worked perfectly.
PFG
AG
Quote:

His whole neck and shoulder area was twitching from the shocks but he didn't care.

You must have a sibling of my lab.

Bark collar. On high. Don't care. If he really wants to be heard, he will wear the shock and bark right through it. And it looks/sounds something like this:

Bark bark
Neck/head turn
Bark bark-whimper
Neck/head turn
[pause to consider the consequence]
Bark-neck turn-Bark-neck turn, repeat until small dog being walked on lease in street is completely out of sight.
Tx Ag72
Have had Pet Safe for about 8 years now. Have a Pyr. She has tested it multiple times and has stayed inside. I have had wire above and below ground. This is on 4+ acres. Keeping wires intact is my problem. with mowing, neighbor's cows reaching under fence to chew on them and donkey just messing with them.
MrWonderful
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Do you mean from Invisible Fence? Theirs are GPS based and costly. They run off rechargeable batteries that have to be changed out about every other day.

Hence why I am looking for a cheaper short term alternative...
Talking about something like this

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Wireless-Containment-Waterproof-Correction/dp/B0001ZWZ8O/ref=zg_bs_2975424011_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTZCFD9Q3MQCPN4ZAQ3S

Once your dogs know the boundary it doesn't even need to be on half the time. I've got one of the wired ones because I needed to keep my demon / foster dog from jumping the 6 foot fence and needed to make sure it followed the fence line exactly. Haven't had a single issue since it went up.
swampstander
AG
We have the one linked above. It works perfectly. If you decide to get one, read and follow the instructions carefully. It explains how you train your dog to be accustomed to it. Everyone I know that has done so has had great success. Everyone I know that has just slapped the collar on and cranked the power up has failed.
TxFig
AG
One thing to keep in mind about those wireless fences :

They do a respectable job of keeping your dog inside your property.
They don't do squat to keep other animals OUT of your yard.

--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
walkon87
AG
We have a Petsafe Yardmax invisible fence and it works like a champ. Easy to install, and we enclosed 3 acres. Took a few weeks of training and several shocks, but our lab figured it out. We rarely have to put his collar on anymore and he stops at the barrier. It really surprised me how effective it is.
Naveronski
AG
Who makes a model with adjustable power?

Anything you can use with kids?
AggieAces06
AG
How were you able to get 3 acres in the boundary? Everything I am seeing is only a 90-100 foot radius.

Nevermind... looks like you probably went with an inground fence.
walkon87
AG
AggieAces06 said:

How were you able to get 3 acres in the boundary? Everything I am seeing is only a 90-100 foot radius.

Nevermind... looks like you probably went with an inground fence.
Yes, I should have mentioned it's an inground fence. We had to buy an extra roll of wire, which is not cheap -- but it's sturdy. You only have to bury it a couple of inches. We also ran it along the lowest wire on fences.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.