Outdoors
Sponsored by

San Antonio area fishing and guide recommendations

2,119 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ragoo
jpd301
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Taking a trip to San Antonio next month and looking to go fishing on a Sunday. We were entertaining the idea of going down to Choke Canyon and bass fishing with a guide but am having a hard time coming up with many names.

Is Choke Canyon not worth the trouble and money? Are we better off hitting one of the power plant lakes and going for redfish?

I was hoping to get some thoughts and recommendations from the board regarding lakes to target and specific guides that folks like and have had good experiences with, regardless of which direction they take me. Pretty flexible really in terms of species and where to go.

Thanks in advance.
FIDO*98*
AG
Redfishing Brauning is very meh. You sit on a boat and troll with downriggers. If that sounds fun, go for it. If you've spent much time in the Salt, you will probably be let down

I'd go Bass fishing at Lake Austin over Choke. Closer, prettier, and bars on the water when you're done

What I'd really do in your shoes would be hit the Guadalupe and do a float fishing trip. Fish are smaller, sure, but, the trip will be more fun
SanAntoneAg
AG
Fido pretty much summed it up. You'll troll on the power plant lakes for reds and hybrids. In fact, it may be a bit early for a solid red bite.

Choke is a pretty wild lake (i.e. lots of wildlife, gators, etc.). I do know there are catfish guides on Choke. Bass guides may be few and far between.

Looks like Manny does Choke and the power plant lakes.

http://fishingwithmanny.com
jpd301
AG
Thanks for the input. Floating the Guadalupe has some appeal so i will look into that as well.
Return to Glory
AG
I've heard some good things about Bones Fishing Guide Service. I think he goes to the power plant lakes as well as Choke Canyon.
Nosh
Call Rob Lopez at Good Times fishing guide. Dude is a cholo and tattoo artist but he hits up Choke and will get you on the fish.

956-857-4806

https://www.facebook.com/440154112775291/videos/825451567578875/ (never seen anything like this before)

https://www.facebook.com/Good-Times-Fishing-Guide-Tackle-Shop-440154112775291/

https://www.facebook.com/thelma.lopez.319
Gunny456
AG
Choke has been pretty flat as far as bass fishing for the last couple of years. But it should be really good shortly for cat fish.
Braunig and Caleveras are and have been flat on bass for a while now.
This time of year I would head to Port A. and do a charter or guide down there. You will always catch something.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Did a guided trolling on Brauing & Calvalas trip and won't again. Caught a few Reds but it was boring as hell.
AnScAggie
AG
A float trip on the Guadalupe for trout and bass or San Marcos for bass is a good time. The San Marcos is a lot less developed and there were sections where we did not see anyone for long stretches of time, on the Guad south of Canyon dam it is a lot more developed which can impact the enjoyment of the trip.
jpd301
AG
Thanks again everyone for the input.
Ragoo
AG
AnScAggie said:

A float trip on the Guadalupe for trout and bass or San Marcos for bass is a good time. The San Marcos is a lot less developed and there were sections where we did not see anyone for long stretches of time, on the Guad south of Canyon dam it is a lot more developed which can impact the enjoyment of the trip.
if you cannot have fun or enjoy the scenery of the guad below canyon then you should just sit in your hotel room.
ought1ag
AG
Choke is absolutely beautiful right now. Its as clear as I have ever seen it....you can probably see 6' deep or more. I fished the main lake and up the Frio a few days over spring break and only managed to snag 3-4. In a couple of years the bass fishing should really heat up. AS far as guides, I cant help you there. Good luck and post some pics of whatever you end up catching
Ragoo
AG
jpd301 said:

in your post you said "we", who is we? You and wife? You and buddy? You and wife and three small kids? Where in SA are you staying?
jpd301
AG
Ragoo said:

jpd301 said:

in your post you said "we", who is we? You and wife? You and buddy? You and wife and three small kids? Where in SA are you staying?
Buddy - staying near the Riverwalk for work. Fishing the day before.
Ragoo
AG
jpd301 said:

Ragoo said:

jpd301 said:

Buddy - staying near the Riverwalk for work. Fishing the day before.

if you have the ability to bring your own tackle you could always fish the river walk. Start around commerce street and make you way up to the pearl brewery for some lunch and beers then walk back.

Or if you have two cars park one at the pearl.

You could also head up 281 to 46 and over to the Guadalupe state park. Or down to the canyon dam. I am not sure when they last stock trout. Call Gruene Outfitters they should know. You can also catch white bass below the dam.

There may be some guides on canyon that fish for hybrids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.