Outdoors
Sponsored by

Burying a big dog

2,486 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DeadCiv
Artorias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our golden retriever passed away this morning, and we want to bury her on a friend's land. She is 80 pounds. How deep of a hole do I need to dig for her, and is there anything special I need to do other than dig a hole, put her in, and cover it?

aggiedent
AG
Needs to be deep enough to keep her from being dug up by critters. Probably at least 4 feet or so. Some folks wrap them in a sheet or blanket.

Very sorry.
Back2Back
AG
Definitely deeper than you think. Coyotes will for sure get to it if not deep enough. Sorry for your loss
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I can't provide any info, just my deepest sorrow for your lost pet.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Definitely put the dog in a black trash bag and seal up the best you can.
MrWonderful
AG
Dig it at least 4 feet. No need to wrap or put in plastic in my experience. If you some insurance, put some flagstone or rocks on the top, but I doubt you have any issues if you dig deep enough.

Condolences, losing a good dog is brutal
Kenneth_2003
AG
Parents live on about 3 acres, Montgomery county. Plenty of deer and other wildlife, but not enough land to just let nature take it's course. He's buried two deer that have died on the property.

Four feet has been plenty to keep them there. The first he buried whole, the 2nd i quickly removed the legs and neck. Made for a smaller hole. No plastic, no cloth, just the animal and dirt.

Sorry for your loss.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Nothing to add except my condolences. I'm sorry for your loss.
SteveBott
AG
Sorry for your loss. 3-4 feet and a heavy plastic bag should do. If available stack some rocks on the body before filling in the dirt.
cavscout96
AG
we buried our dog at 4' and I limed hole and then again after about 2' of dirt back into the hole.
Strongweasel97
AG
I buried a lot of dogs on our land growing up (dad was a vet). Double up on heavy duty black contractor bags. Dig as deep as you can, but mostly wider than you think. Do it in an area that is not likely to wash out in heavy rain and you'll be fine. I've never seen one dug up by pests/predators when doing it this way.

Sorry to hear.

Also, a good tip is when packing the dirt down, use the handle to "poke holes" in the dirt. This packs dirt down far better than patting it down with the shovel head. Apologies if you already knew this one.
Artorias
AG
Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Not getting the need for a bag. You're just stopping nature at that point.
Muzzleblast
Sorry to hear about your dog.

I've done creamation for my last few pets.

I used Live Oak Pet Services located just out of College Station.

Don't know where you are but I imagine your local vet can point you to creamation services in your area.

Just another option.
Strongweasel97
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Not getting the need for a bag. You're just stopping nature at that point.
Transportation.
Fort Worth Realtor
AG
Sorry for your loss.

Dig a hole 3-4 feet deep. Sprinkle the bottom with some lime. I've always wrapped mine in their favorite blanket. Cover with dirt. Sprinkle some more lime on top of the dirt. Fill in the hole and make sure it's packed down well. I would cover it with something heavy for a few weeks just to be extra safe.

BrazosDog02
AG
I buried my 80 lb catahoula late last year. Brazos Dog's final resting place was just wide enough to contain him and maybe 3 feet deep. I prepared it that morning before we put him down. Took two days to dig because it's clay and really dry. I did not have problems with coyotes or critters but you can lay large stones on it to discourage digging and to mark his spot.

I don't do plastic bags. His blanket or bed is all and maybe a towel. I also keep his collar. I am a believer in pet heaven and feel like at death he's no longer "mine" and won't need his collar. He'll know how to find me later.

Sorry for your loss. Not easy.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have helped some do this and it's always a sad affair. 4 feet should do it. Sorry for your loss.
Gunny456
AG
So sorry for you losing your friend. I have buried 5 German Shepherds on our ranch. Live in the hill country so had to use a back hoe to get down 4 foot because of all the rocks.
We wrapped them in their blankets and used lime and stacked rocks on top. Never had any issues of critters digging them up.

I will try to make you smile a little here with this story.......We had to put my wifes 17 hand tall horse down about three years ago. She wanted him buried below our house in a bottom. I had limited knowledge of running a back hoe but borrowed my neighbors. I ended up with a hole big enough and deep enough to put three Army Humvees in it. I never felt so uncoordinated in my life. Sometimes I threw dirt 20 yards from the pile.
The vet had come and he was waiting for me to finish the pit and had parked his truck to the left of me and the back hoe.....(You see this coming don't you?) Yep I threw a load of dirt and rock (mainly rock) all inside the vets truck as he had his door open and window down.
My wife stayed up at the house as we put her buddy down but my vet got her to smile among the tears when he drove up to the house and she saw all the dirt and rocks in his truck. He told her he had put a lot of horses down in his time but he would definitely remember this one for a long time.

Hope this brought a smile to you in your sad time my friend
DeadCiv
AG
Sorry, bud. Tough day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.