Outdoors
Sponsored by

bluebonnets

4,264 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by A.G.S.
malenurse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh wise and knowing OB.

Thinking about taking the wife out tomorrow and looking for bluebonnets. Leaving Richmond and going up 36 to Brenham. Then 105 to Navasota and down Hwy 6 and back home on 290 and 99.

Any eyewitnesses on what the wildflowers are currently looking like?

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Astrobo
AG
They are not bad, but you are about a week early from full on bloom.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Watch out for the infamous Bluebonnet Rattlesnake. They're hard to spot since they blend in so well. Okay, there's no such thing, but it is possible to come across a rattlesnake in a bluebonnet field, so be mindful.

Saw a report on the local news here in San Antonio that with the rains we've been having, that we should expect more wildflowers than normal. Based on what I see traveling the area, it looks to be true, so enjoy the natural beauty that is Texas.
aTm2004
AG
Plenty around the highways in Brenham when we drove back from Austin a couple of weeks ago. Plenty along White Oak Bayou down TC Jester in The Heights up to about Ella.
Badace52
AG
Astrobo said:

I second this...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chickencoupe16
AG
I don't know about your route, but there 's always a fantastic patch off of 47 between the Health Science Center and Villa Maria. Don't know if it's filled out yet, but if you strike out else where, that's what I would suggest.
dr_boogs
AG
We've had a decent patch in one of our front beds since we built our house in 2011. One of our favorite times of the year!
BrazosDog02
AG
Badace52 said:

Astrobo said:

I second this...

Early? Weve had bluebonnets west of SA for over a week. A fulle blanketed field. But that's good news if they haven't all gone full bore because that's gonna be cool.
Astrobo
AG
If you read his original post, he is not driving west of San Antonio. He is driving around Brenham and Navasota. Stay in your lane bro.
BrazosDog02
AG
My bad.
trip98
AG
just spent 3 days fishing at Fayette Co lake. Live in Houston. Drove out and back going 290 then down thru Round Top.
There were some decent patches of bluebonnets here and there but both the wife and I commented that they had to be about a week or so away from booming.
Actually best patch we saw was in center median of 290 just on west side of the brazos crossing. But that's too dangerous (although I'm sure some idiot will try to get pictures there).
this past winter being so wet should make for a great season.

I also just passed the white oak bayou area off TC Jester in houston. They are starting there but nowhere near full strength. Should be a great area in 2 weeks.
ironmanag
AG
They should be amazing this year.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
malenurse
AG
To be clear, we are not looking for a photo op for Brayleighy, Keighly, and Bryndolyn.

I just want to see pretty flowers and spend some time with the wife.

Thanks for the current reports. This was information I was looking for. Will probably wait until at least next week.
CowtownAg06
AG
The best stretches on 290 are east of Brenham around Chappell Hill. I'd find a way to work that stretch into your plans.
Bottlerocket
AG
Was in big bend two weeks ago. Amazing bluebonnet blooms!!

Frankly, go buy a Roads of Texas Atlas and get lost well off the main highways.
Ragoo
AG
malenurse said:

To be clear, we are not looking for a photo op for Brayleighy, Keighly, and Bryndolyn.

I just want to see pretty flowers and spend some time with the wife.

Thanks for the current reports. This was information I was looking for. Will probably wait until at least next week.
willow city loop, top down, luchenbach, Fredericksburg

Sounds like a great day trip to me.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
This is supposed to be posted on April 1st
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
brs4688 said:

This is supposed to be posted on April 1st
Nothing stopping you. The OB generally has a pretty long memory, but there are parts of TexAgs tat are like Ten-Second Tom from the movie 50 First Dates & can't remember what happened 10 seconds ago.
dave99ag
AG
Big Bend last Thursday.

Kdenhead
AG
There is a hill near the Brenham Home Depot that is loaded with bluebonnets. Good safe spot for pics.
Scriffer
AG
dave99ag said:

Big Bend last Thursday.

Well now you're just showing off
dave99ag
AG
Let's not forget the sunsets.

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Quote:

WOW!!!
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Can anyone make a maroon version of the bluebonnet snake?
TxFig
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

The best stretches on 290 are east of Brenham around Chappell Hill. I'd find a way to work that stretch into your plans.

Agreed. If you take 105 from Brenham and then go west on FM 50 towards Independence, there are some of the best stretches of wildflowers I've seen anywhere.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Aggieangler93
Msgt USAF Ret
malenurse
AG
Bumped this to the top because, even though the weather is iffy, we're doing this road trip tomorrow.

Looking for recs for lunch in Brenham. Is Truth BBQ legit. Or does someone know about some other places that the wife and In-laws would like?
dr_boogs
AG
Truth is the real deal. Highly recommend. Outstanding brisket, ribs and sides. And their chocolate cake - out of this world. Check it out. But like most of these joints, they can run out of ribs and brisket quick. Let us know what you think.
A.G.S.
AG
If ya end up in Navasota around lunch time, Mallets BBQ on the east side of hwy 6 is solid.

Nothing crazy, but I've never had a bad meal there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.