Outdoors
Sponsored by

Small citrus tree - suggestions?

1,250 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by zachhow9
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Limited sun, high shade, squirrels so thinking citrus.

Cumquat?
Orangequat?
Calamondin?
Something else?
Cardiag
AG
Have not had good luck with citrus in shade. In my experience need at least 5 hrs direct sunlight to develop the fruit.
agz win
AG
It's high shade with some sun under 80' pines. It'll be planted next to a Satsuma and peach with each producing well. I'm just wanting the best choice for a small area like a 14'x14' space.

IslandAg76
AG
Meyer lemon
aggiepublius
AG
agz win said:

Limited sun, high shade, squirrels so thinking citrus.

Cumquat?
Orangequat?
Calamondin?
Something else?

Where are you? At least which zone?
Cardiag
AG
If another citrus is thriving there it should be okay though may take a few years to get established. If you're down here in south east Texas, Persian limes do well. Meyer lemons are great but I did mine in a container on the recommendation of the nursery.
Cardiag
AG
Neighbor has a kaffir lime that doesn't produce much fruit but the leaves are amazing to cook with.
agz win
AG
I'm zone 8 and 9.

I have producing Meyers lemon, lime and brown fig trees.

Neighbor seems to have everything, including Asian grapefruits. She gave me some Calamondins but they were more sour than sweet. I had bought a blood orange but it was too big for the sun spot I have so gave it away. Is there something sweeter in the kumquat variety? I've never tried an orangequat.
zachhow9
Took a graduate pathology course last semester. Learned that citrus is notoriously hard to grow in the Brazos valley do to a number of pathogens. Multiple sprays per year are often required to produce quality fruit. Just a heads up from a plant nerd!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.