Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me with zero turns

17,459 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ToddyHill
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Family is planning on buying a zero turn to use for residential mowing and tight spaces at our place in the country where the tractor can't get.

I'm not sure if we should just stick to a 36" so it can fit in a gate for backyards or just go bigger and use a push mower for back yards. I've mentioned SCAGs and a 4k pricepoint being the low end for those and was told we may need bigger, so I'd say budget is 4-5k. We're located in BCS.

All we've ever used is push mowers and a basic riding mower so we're pretty green with zero turns.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Gunny456
AG
This guy 1............I shopped a long time for a zero turn. test drove all the major brands. I have a very bad back and chose a Ferris as it was hands down the smoothest riding of all. That and they have a great reputation.
Just mho
ought1ag
AG
cant personally help but have read on here before that you should go with a brand you can easily get parts for......being around BCS you should have more options to choose from.
AggieMarkSA
I switched to a zero turn a few years ago. I have a craftsman, which i recognize is not one of the top brands, but it works. I have the 42" cut. I use it to mow 2-3 acres and it works just fine. I went with the smaller deck because the land isn't even and didn't want to turf it too bad. Only advice I'd give would be to practice with it in a nice open space before you mow. The learning curve isn't bad, but the controls are touchier than what you'd expect initially. After a while it feels like an extension of your body. You'll be happy you made the change.
KaneIsAble
AG
I have a 50" RZT LX Cub Cadet and love it. Zero-turns are simple to use as well - don't worry about the learning curve as it disappears very quickly.

Since you're from BCS, I bought mine from David at Kyrish. Used to be Hogan's trucks but most of the same people still work there and they have a shop in the back and can do all the service work if you prefer.
DayAg!
S
What ever you do , get one that has independent suspension on the front end. Stay away from solid frame models they will beat you half to death each time you mow. You should be able to find one that has spring suspension on each front wheel. Your kidneys will thank you later.
Gunny456
AG
Exactly why I chose the Ferris.
KenAg06
AG
DO NOT BUY FROM A BOX STORE!!! Pay extra and get one from a dealership. I would stay away from John Deere in general. Have had too many issues with tractors and lawnmowers from them. As others have mentioned, get one that you can get parts/service locally.
CSTXAg92
AG
Although I don't have one, I really, really like my buddy's Honda powered Hustlers. He has a lawn company in Austin and runs them from sun up to sun down six days a week, and they seem to be very reliable.

https://www.hustlerturf.com
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I have a 36" Hustler for the reason you mentioned. It works great for my setup, but if I had it to do over again, I'd be tempted to widen my fence. When I get more land, I'm definitely upgrading the deck width.

I like Hustler. After many hours of comparing brands, it seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Don't buy big box, go with with the dealership models that have beefier gauge steel/spindles/hydros/etc.
AggieGunslinger
AG
How big is your back yard? Expanding a gate isn't hard.

I have a hustler raptor and it works great.
Central Committee
AG
Hustler. I have asked 3 guys in the lawn business, and all said Hustler was the best, short of paying stupid money.

I am picking one up in 2 weeks, 52" platform, as I have at least 3 acres to mow.
Jrod05
AG
I love my gravely HD
geoag58
AG
Get the best commercial grade in your price range. For a home owner it will last a long time and give you fewer problems.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Scag. Had a Hustler and sold it after a month and bought a Scag.
smstavinoha88
AG
Whatever you do, don't buy the Bad Boy mower brand. We had one and I know a few other people that had them, and none of them held up.
Micropterus
AG
One more vote for Hustler. Mines a raptor sd, and a tough machine. Bought on the advice of a professional who runs them on industrial turf properties.
DeWrecking Crew
Not sure if this will help you or not, we've got two zero turns and are mowing about 15 acres. My daughter takes the 60" Bush Hog and the ole lady takes the 36" Scag, they split the property, my daughter is done at least an hour and a half before the wife...even though the Scag is supposed to be twice as fast. All that to say if you've got a big lot you are mowing you can't beat size of the cut. It's an extra hour I have to wait for my sammich.
oscar9
AG
Country clipper. Joystick control and built solid. Relative has almost 2,000 hours on his and no problems
Greeze06
AG
Purchased a 52hd Gravely a few months ago and do not regret it one bit.

Great mower.
Thisguy1
My mom's yard is in a neighborhood. Corner lot so a big yard, but I'm thinking along the lines of using it for mowing yards on the side for extra cash.

We have a tractor with a shredder at our country property that will mow most of the place. The mower will only be used for around the shed, fire pit, pond, etc..
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I have an ex mark 36" laser z walk behind and my parents have both a 48" and 60" ztr at their house and ranch. All I can say is ex mark makes some solid machines. Pricey but solid.

I have the walk behind from my days of mowing yards in high school but would definitely never buy a good mower based on gate size. As others have said it's pretty easy to change the opening on a gate.
Thisguy1
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I have the walk behind from my days of mowing yards in high school but would definitely never buy a good mower based on gate size. As others have said it's pretty easy to change the opening on a gate.

At my mom's, sure. I can't change the gate of every yard I mow though.
GSS
Amazing, true story...Cub Cadet 54' RZT, purchased via Tractor Supply (or use Kyrish Truck Centers)...runs and runs, nothing needed but blades, oil changes, greasing. 2+ acres routinely mowed per use.

TSC zero turns...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

At my mom's, sure. I can't change the gate of every yard I mow though.

I might have misunderstood the post then. I assumed it was for personal use.
highvelocity
AG
Zero turn changed muh lyfe
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
CampCreekAg
AG
This. David will deliver to you with a full tank of gas and give you a demo. They also pick up and deliver when service is needed.
OE_Ag11
AG
Are there any that have more of a brush hog style deck so you dont screw it up mowing more pasture land and around tress and such?
AggieFabricator
Bad Boy is great, would gladly trade my kubota back for a Bad Boy.
MexiaAg86
AG
ExMark...the only way to go!
Bassmaster
AG
I have a 52 inch Hustler Raptor. I beat it to hell and it just keeps going.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Hustler 54"
2 years and no problems what so ever.
Great mower. Love the seat on mine. It's like mowing in an easy chair. Very comfortable for my bad back.
And I 2nd buying from a dealer.
JAG03
AG
Only problem with a zero turn is it's harder to drink beer while you mow.
GSS
JAG03 said:

True, but you get through quicker, to sit back and enjoy a beer (or beers). Or this option...

NRA Life
TSRA Life
oscar9
AG
GSS said:

JAG03 said:

True, but you get through quicker, to sit back and enjoy a beer (or beers).
Not with the country clipper. You have a free hand
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.