Outdoors
Sponsored by

Southwest and the Boeing 737 Max?

6,403 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dubi
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a roundtrip Corpus to Dallas on Southwest this weekend. Do I need to update the will? Need advice from the pilot types, what is up with this aircraft?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SWCBonfire
AG
I've only been on one 737 Max on southwest, and the first question I had for the flight attendant was if they could even land and takeoff at Midway. Noticeably longer.
ntxVol
They were just grounded in the US so you'll be aight.
P.U.T.U
AG
Three of the flights we were looking at for a trip to Florida were just canned. Guess we will book with American while the price is still low
agfan2013
AG
See the thread on the general board, has an actual pilot who has flown the 737 max (assuming he's not m f barnes-ing us). The guy thinks they are safe planes. But as noted above, Trump just grounded all of them so you might want to worry about if you even have a flight to get wherever you were going.

Check this thread out
STX Ag
AG
I'm flying SWA tomorrow as well. Its the first flight for my 2 little girls, and they are awful excited. I'm hoping this doesn't screw us up. I did read on the SWA press release that the Max 8 was flown on less than 5% of their flights and they felt like they's be able to cover those with other aircraft pretty easily.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Southwest and AA only have like 25 or so in each fleet. Shouldn't be that big of a deal in regards to potential equipment shortages and cancellations.
schmellba99
AG
agfan2013 said:

See the thread on the general board, has an actual pilot who has flown the 737 max (assuming he's not m f barnes-ing us). The guy thinks they are safe planes. But as noted above, Trump just grounded all of them so you might want to worry about if you even have a flight to get wherever you were going.

Check this thread out
Trump, the head of the FAA and the CEO of Boeing all agreed prior to his announcement that grounding the fleet was the best move to ensure there are no further issues.
GAC06
AG
SWCBonfire said:

I've only been on one 737 Max on southwest, and the first question I had for the flight attendant was if they could even land and takeoff at Midway. Noticeably longer.

SWA has 500ish -700's, 200ish -800's and 30-40 MAX8's

The MAX8 and the -800 are almost exactly the same size and both have 175 seats
SWCBonfire
AG
This was one of their first max 8's. Haven't been on one since, but I don't fly as much as I used to due to being half-ass self-employed.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Southwest is also in a spat with the union for their maintenance folks. That's their bigger issue on airplane availability than losing their Max8s.
txaggie02
AG
I flew SW from HOU to OKC today. If you go to their website to make a reservation, you can click on the flight number and it will tell you what type of plane you will be flying in for that particular trip. As others mentioned, it's a non-issue for now though.
jakeaggie84
AG
Just flew on one this morning. Was a bit nervous, but our US pilots flew the hell outta that 737 max!
TXTransplant
txaggie02 said:

I flew SW from HOU to OKC today. If you go to their website to make a reservation, you can click on the flight number and it will tell you what type of plane you will be flying in for that particular trip. As others mentioned, it's a non-issue for now though.

That's a good start to find out the type of plane, but it's not always correct. The last few flights we've taken on SW, we've incurred significant delays due to aircraft swaps. My kiddo was supposed to be on a MAX 8 last Saturday night, but they wound up swapping aircraft (which caused a 2+ hour delay, as we had to wait on an inbound plane), and the "new" plane turned out to be an 800 and not a MAX 8. Their spat with the mechanics union is causing more planes than usual to be pulled from service.
redass1876
AG
People keep pointing at Boeing on this. It is not a plane issue, it is a pilot training issue. Engines were changed and moved, AFCS (Automated Flight Control Systems) were changed specifically relative to auto-trim, but no new training/certification was required. Pilots have been flying them like old 737 revs and are causing an effect somewhat similar to porpoising that has gone divergent in the cases with the crashes

That said, it is unsurprising that many pilots think the aircraft is fine as-is

I'm not in flight test any more but was talking to a few old colleagues yesterday who still are. Take it for what it's worth to you
GAC06
AG
It is most certainly an aircraft issue. Pilots should still be able to safely land the plane in these instances but it's a bad design that absolutely needs to be fixed. Keeping the system a secret was unconscionable.
redass1876
AG
Please, with all your wisdom, explain how this is an aircraft issue. You sound like one of those gun grabbers that just yell "well, we have to do SOMETHING"

The planes fly as designed. Pilots in the crashes are flying them like old 737s and are fighting the flight control systems. I did say they needed training. That does not make this a design issue
Strongweasel97
AG
My favorite max8 is called a 757.
GAC06
AG
redass1876 said:

Please, with all your wisdom, explain how this is an aircraft issue. You sound like one of those gun grabbers that just yell "well, we have to do SOMETHING"

The planes fly as designed. Pilots in the crashes are flying them like old 737s and are fighting the flight control systems. I did say they needed training. That does not make this a design issue

The plane does fly as designed. A clapped out airframe with yet another generation of larger engines, and the software bandaid they snuck in because that's a lot more profitable than just designing a new airframe to handle the changes. It flies as designed, where a relatively minor AoA indicator malfunction causes the plane to try to trim the plane into the ground, requiring pilot intervention to stop it. Pilots have to intervene all the time, that's why they're there. But it's an obvious design flaw that should be fixed.

And it looks like Boeing, and virtually every aviation regulatory agency on the planet shares that view.
aggiedent
AG
I agree with GAC, this is clearly not the best designed aircraft that Boeing has built. Granted, that is driven by a number of factors outside of just Boeing, but at the end of the day, it has their name on it.

The handling characteristics of the aircraft required a "fix" that clearly is not ideal. As a retired 777 pilot with AA asked recently, "what if the pilots did follow the revised checklist that Boeing set forth?" That would be a nightmare for Boeing.

Regardless of what the issue is, there are a whole lot of people who are stating their opinions as facts based off of assumptions. Not a good look IMO.

redass1876
AG
GAC06 said:

And it looks like Boeing, and virtually every aviation regulatory agency on the planet shares that view.
Grounding the plane was still a good idea; the system (pilot + aircraft + training) is definitely flawed at the moment. I don't think anyone is debating that.

Max 8 has been in service for almost 2 years and this is just now an issue in design?

I'm going to stick with the info i have gathered from flight test engineers i used to work with in my flight test days that have friends doing the same job at Boeing, over what the news tells me

GAC06
AG
Ask the engineers how Lion Air was a training problem when the engineers intentionally failed to disclose even the existence of the system in question, much less the failure modes or emergency procedures.
I Am A Critic
redass1876 said:

GAC06 said:

Grounding the plane was still a good idea; the system (pilot + aircraft + training) is definitely flawed at the moment. I don't think anyone is debating that.

Max 8 has been in service for almost 2 years and this is just now an issue in design?

I'm going to stick with the info i have gathered from flight test engineers i used to work with in my flight test days that have friends doing the same job at Boeing, over what the news tells me

Thirdhand info is always the most reliable.
redass1876
AG
as you continue to trust the news on the subject lol

I'll stick with people who actually do the testing.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Who wants to tell him?
Scruffy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Who wants to tell him?
It's more fun to watch this play out.
FCBlitz
Safe time to fly is after a plane crash. The absolute safest time to fly is after the second plane crash!

It is true. Believe it or not!
Gary79Ag
AG
Southlake
Iam an airline pilot. Juan's explanation above is spot on.

How the pilots were not made aware of this safety feature is beyond me. The FAA, Boeing and the airlines themselves are all at fault here.
dubi
AG
Quote:

The MAX's Safety Features Cost Extra, Weren't Onboard Doomed Flights

Anonymous company insiders at Boeing now allege two safety features offered as options were not aboard the two crashed 737 MAX-8 aircraft. The upgrades include an angle of attack indicator and a disagreement light, which lights up when the angle of attack sensors report different data. One of those could soon become standard on future 737 MAX aircraft.

Whistleblowers inside Boeing now accuse the company of upselling two safety features on the 737 MAX aircraft, both of which were not found aboard Lion Air Flight 610 or Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302. Speaking under anonymity to The New York Times, company employees allege the aircraft did not have an angle of attack indicator or disagreement light on board, which were both sold as add-ons by the Chicago-based manufacturer.

The two products offer additional information for pilots of the 737 MAX aircraft to aid them in decision making. The angle of attack indicator shows readings from the angle of attack sensors, while the disagreement light turns on when the two sensors report different readings. The anonymous employees claim neither of the doomed aircraft had either option on board, which they say could have helped the pilots in correcting flight issues prior to the crash.

The practice of selling safety features as add-on equipment is not new for Boeing. In a SEC filing dating back to 2003, Brazilian airline Gol was charged over $500,000 in extras, including $18,400 for floor-mounted emergency path lighting, $6,700 for oxygen masks with smoke goggles for the pilots and $37,800 for passenger chemical oxygen generators.

In comments to The New York Times, both American Airlines and Southwest Airlines say they purchased the disagreement light with their aircraft. American also included the angle of attack indicator, while Southwest has it in a separate display above the pilots. The company insiders claim Boeing will include the disagreement light as standard equipment for future Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, while Boeing is committed to updating the MCAS software systems.

Boeing has not commented directly on the accusations, but in an open letter to the public from earlier in March, company chairman, president and CEO Dennis Muilenburg reassured that safety was the manufacturer's first priority.

"Boeing has been in the business of aviation safety for more than 100 years, and we'll continue providing the best products, training and support to our global airline customers and pilots," Muilenburg wrote. "Soon we'll release a software update and related pilot training for the 737 MAX that will address concerns discovered in the aftermath of the Lion Air Flight 610 accident."

Link

I'm curious if this is true?
GAC06
AG
Partially true. The extra AoA indicator and the AoA disagree warning were options, and weren't purchased by many airlines, including major US airlines.

This part though:
Quote:

company employees allege the aircraft did not have an angle of attack indicator or disagreement light on board,

Is standard journalism trying to speak aviation and failing. It had an AoA indicator. It had two.
dubi
AG
Gary79Ag
AG
More on the Boeing 737 Max

Boeing Was 'Go, Go, Go' to Beat Airbus With the 737 Max

Long article but here are excerpts:

The competitive pressure to build the jet which permeated the entire design and development now threatens the reputation and profits of Boeing, after two deadly crashes of the 737 Max in less than five months. Prosecutors and regulators are investigating whether the effort to design, produce and certify the Max was rushed, leading Boeing to miss crucial safety risks and to underplay the need for pilot training.

One former designer on the team working on flight controls for the Max said the group had at times produced 16 technical drawings a week, double the normal rate. "They basically said, 'We need something now,'" the designer said.

A technician who assembles wiring on the Max said that in the first months of development, rushed designers were delivering sloppy blueprints to him. He was told that the instructions for the wiring would be cleaned up later in the process, he said.

His internal assembly designs for the Max, he said, still include omissions today, like not specifying which tools to use to install a certain wire, a situation that could lead to a faulty connection. Normally such blueprints include intricate instructions.

Despite the intense atmosphere, current and former employees said, they felt during the project that Boeing's internal quality checks ensured the aircraft was safe.

Rick Ludtke, an engineer who helped design the 737 Max cockpit and spent 19 years at Boeing, said the company had set a ground rule for engineers: Limit changes to hopefully avert a requirement that pilots spend time training in a flight simulator before flying the Max.

"Any designs we created could not drive any new training that required a simulator," Mr. Ludtke said.

But a main selling point of the new A320 was its fuel-efficient engines. To match Airbus, Boeing needed to mount the Max with its own larger and powerful new engines.

The bigger engines altered the aerodynamics of the plane, making it more likely to pitch up in some circumstances.

To offset that possibility, Boeing added the new software in the Max, known as MCAS, which would automatically push the nose down if it sensed the plane pointing up at a dangerous angle. The goal was to avoid a stall. Because the system was supposed to work in the background, Boeing believed it didn't need to brief pilots on it, and regulators agreed. Pilots weren't required to train in simulators.

The push for automation was a philosophical shift for Boeing, which for decades wanted to keep pilots in control of the planes as much as possible. Airbus, by comparison, tended to embrace technology, putting computers in control. Pilots who preferred the American manufacturer even had a saying: "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going."

The new software system is now a focus of investigators who are trying to determine what went wrong in the Ethiopian Airlines crash and the Lion Air tragedy in Indonesia. A leading theory in the Lion Air crash is that the system was receiving bad data from a faulty sensor, triggering an unrecoverable nose dive. All 737 Max jets around the world are grounded, and Boeing has given no estimate of when they might return to flight.
dubi
AG
Quote:

The Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX, which crashed in March and killed 157 people, suffered a damaged angle-of-attack sensor upon takeoff from a bird or foreign object, triggering erroneous data and the activation an anti-stall system -- called MCAS -- sending the pitch of the plane downward and ultimately crashing into the ground, two aviation sources familiar with the investigation told ABC News.

As the jet was nose diving, the Boeing 737 MAX pilots did not try to electronically pull the nose of the plane up before following Boeing's emergency procedures of disengaging power to the horizontal stabilizer on the rear of the aircraft, according to the sources.

One source told ABC News that they manually attempted to bring the nose of the plane back up by using the trim wheel. Soon after, the pilots restored power to the horizontal stabilizer.
With power restored, the MCAS was re-engaged, the sources said, and the pilots were unable to regain control and the plane crashed.

The preliminary findings in the crash investigation are expected to be released by transportation officials in Ethiopia on Thursday morning.

Earlier Wednesday, Boeing released a statement that said, "we urge caution against speculating and drawing conclusions on the findings prior to the release of the flight data and the preliminary report."
MORE: Anti-stall system was activated before Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crash: Sources
French and American investigators are assisting in the Ethiopian probe and at the center of it is an automated anti-stall safety system on the MAX and its possible link to issues in the Ethiopian flight and a Lion Air crash in 2018.

In both crashes, the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft struggled to maintain a steady flight path. The planes repeatedly lost and gained altitude before entering a dive to the earth's surface. In the two incidents, a new anti-stall safety system on the MAX that controls trim -- MCAS -- was activated, sources have told ABC News.

MORE: New details emerge about the Boeing 737 Max plane involved in Ethiopian, Lion Air crashes
Commercial airline pilots are trained to disengage the system in the event of runaway trim, when the airplane is making unexpected pitch movements. It is unknown what would have kept the pilots of the Lion Air flight from disengaging the system and trimming the aircraft. Lion Air has defended the training of its pilots.

In the days following the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, airlines and aviation authorities around the world grounded the MAX. The United States was the last to do so on March 13, after the Federal Aviation Administration concluded the refined satellite data that became available to the agency that day warranted a temporary grounding of the MAX.

MORE: Boeing reveals proposed updates to 737 MAX amid scrutiny of automated safety system
Last week, the acting FAA administrator went to Capitol Hill to defend the government's response to the two crashes. Daniel Elwell told senators on Wednesday that while the FAA may have been among the last aviation regulators in the world to ground the MAX, it and Canada were the first to make a decision based on robust data from the aircraft.
Boeing says it is working a software update for the automated safety system and it is expected to be approved by the FAA and offered to airline in a few weeks.

Link
dubi
AG
Preliminary report released April 4, 2019.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.