Outdoors
Sponsored by

Keeping tractors in the family...

7,106 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hoss
Touchscreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This one has a lot of "patina" since it was usually kept in a barn unless actually being used. Not all that much rust on it. The largest rust patch is the driver's seat from years and years of sweat and clothes rubbing on it, and I didn't want to lose that.
Centerpole90
AG
...And just like that you became my favorite poster.
Centerpole90
AG
cbr said:

Lol last time i drove a '40's era tractor i was amazed any of us are even here, with open flywheels and **** spinning all around your ass. Its like a wood chipper for humans in b**** clothes or have a momentary distraction!

I posted this in the auto board thread but I'll share it here too - this is a '22 Rumely Oil-Pull tractor I bought from a friend who had purchased it in North Dakota.

https://instagr.am/p/BTHUcuRDhGz

And this is the SINGLE safety feature on the whole tractor.

What does it do? It kicks your foot back out of the flywheel when you start the tractor. The easiest way to crank the tractor is to roll the flywheel up on compression, reach over your head, grab the top if the wheel, then put your foot against the spoke near the bottom and heave. That little shield keeps your foot from slipping off and sticking through the flywheel just about the time the engine hits - a scenario that would leave the operator one-legged AT BEST.

There is a cranking handle that fits in the flywheel that is the safest way to start it - but unless you weigh 200+ you just do chin-ups on the handle and if you can pull it through the chiropractor is the next stop.
cbr
AG
Yep, lol, and from the rust on that kick plate it looks like it saved many a foot!
Centerpole90
AG
I finally got around to installing this today. I've never struggled with the Schebler carbs, but this top bowl Ensign would just pour gas out. It's amazing the work done to it - he actually chucked it up in a lathe and turned the inside of the bore just a tad and then installed a slightly oversize butterfly to match. The throttle and chock shafts were removed, bored, and new shafts to match installed.

Allsome. Love the sound of the flathead.

https://instagr.am/p/Bvcu-B_jpCk
EskimoJoe
sweet! those old carbs require a high level of skill to get right. it's always great to see those old machines come back to life.

At work, I had one of my techs doing pre delivery on a new tractor today. We were marveling at all the technology, creature comforts and sheer size of the new machines. We realized that our kids will probably not know what life was like without autoguidance and a screen that showed all the functions and data of the tractor. It was like our generation with power steering, a/c (for the most part) and a radio in the machine. Of course my grandfather and great grandfather was glad to be sitting on a machine and not following a team of mules.
Hoss
AG
Poppin' Johnny! At least that's what my grandfather told me people called them.

Very cool to be able to get that back in the family. My family has one that my grandfather took off the old family farm and restored. He also had an old Farmall. I don't know the model numbers. I just know they're both old and when he passed they both still ran like champs. The Farmall was his work horse and the Deere was his show horse that he used for parades in town. Both are now sitting on my parents' place not being used.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.