Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog training advice

2,024 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DuckDown2013
alph
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any good advice on how to keep dogs from greeting sniffing, barking and jumping on people that walk in the door?

highvelocity
AG
e collar solves all
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Utopia61
You can do it with an ecollar, or you can eliminate the barking with a bark collar (cheaper than the ecollar), and you can stop the dog from jumping up on people by giving it a firm (not strong) push in the nose with the heel of your hand. Every time you do this, say "no". He will soon learn that the word no means he is to stop doing whatever he is doing at the time.
will.mcg
AG
If you go the e collar route there are plenty of cheap ones on amazon. I recently put one on my barker because she wouldn't just bark at the wind, she would try to destroy the wind with barking. So, I let her bark a few times then give her a little zap. Couple of days of that & now she only barks at important things like the mailman, people walking by, burglars, etc.
MouthBQ98
AG
Leash also works. Give it a tug when you verbally correct for extra reminders. You have to be very consistent with your training and corrective timing to get results with some dogs.
skelso
AG
E collar without first properly teaching the dog to turn off pressure is a good way to really F one up...

In my opinion, the method of correction is not as crucial as the timing and consistency. Needs to be as soon after the behavior starts as possible and needs to be corrected every time.

It can be done with a swat on the nose, which if overused can make a dog head shy, a knee to the chest, an e collar, a pinch collar and leash, a healing stick, etc..
Alte Schule
MouthBQ98 said:

Leash also works. Give it a tug when you verbally correct for extra reminders. You have to be very consistent with your training and corrective timing to get results with some dogs.
This. Leash with a chain type choke collar. Pull the collar tight enough to get the dogs attention along with the "no" or "off" command. Follow that with the "sit" command. As stated consistency and timing are the key.
saltydog13
AG
https://www.gundogsupply.com/wonleadbydel.html

This works well and the end also doubles as an effective heeling stick
Ikanizer
AG
Havent seen this mentioned yet. But I have solved the problem of putting feet on people/cars by grabbing the dogs paws and squeezing hard. It works especially well with labs who have sensitive feet.
A knee to the chest also works.
gigem70
AG
Obedience train the dog.
bam02
AG
Ikanizer said:

Havent seen this mentioned yet. But I have solved the problem of putting feet on people/cars by grabbing the dogs paws and squeezing hard. It works especially well with labs who have sensitive feet.
A knee to the chest also works.

Yep. For jumping up on people the knee to the chest is perfect. Not hard enough to hurt the dog, but it instantly makes them stop. They get over that habit quickly.
JonSnow
Leave a squirt bottle of water or bitter apple on the front porch. Have several planned visitors who are dog friendly come to the front door. Every time the dog jumps on them they gets squirt to the face. The dog learns very quickly.
Gibbs Slap
AG
gigem70 said:

Obedience train the dog.
I second this! Basic obedience training away from the house with a trainer can solve several common problems.
reddog90
AG
Strapping an ecollar on a dog and correcting for something you have never trained them not to do is abusive. I am a big proponent of ecollars. But they are a training tool, not a magic wand, and should be used correctly.
aad03
AG
alph said:

Does anyone have any good advice on how to keep dogs from greeting sniffing, barking and jumping on people that walk in the door?

Leave the front door open until he runs out, shut it behind him.
Class of '03
DuckDown2013
AG
gigem70 said:

Obedience train the dog.

This. Work on obedience. Consistent And stern "NO's" can fix a lot before jumping to the e collar. I have an e collar for my dogs but it's very important they are handled with extreme caution. I've seen a lot of ruined dogs due to e collars. It's not fair fair to the dog to get shocked when he/she hasn't been FIRST taught basic obedience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.