Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody live around Lubbock

2,098 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HombreDoce
GasPasser97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious about hunting and fishing opportunities in the area.
92AG10
AG
Grew up in Lubbock, family is still there.

If you like bird hunting the panhandle can be awesome for dove, quail, pheasant, ducks and geese.

For larger animals you will have to drive a bit (1-3 hours) but the hunting can be good.

Fishing is not my thing but there are places.
BCO07
AG
Tons of guide services/day leases for birds. I also found that the public land was reasonably productive.

For deer you'll have to find a lease. Mostly white tail, but there are mule deer to the north and west. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, I didn't hunt much deer when I lived there)

Fishing seemed to be all but non existent
PANHANDLE10
Only thing to hunt around Lubbock is tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.
FSGuide
Goose and sandhill crane hunting is very good around there.
Elephant Tears
Matador/Motley County for tremendous white tail, muley, quail, turkey, and decent dove. You're welcome.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Joe Ely used to live there. Not sure if he still does.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

Only thing to hunt around Lubbock is tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.

You aren't looking close enough........
Hamburger Dan
Lots of hunting in Lubbock area. Fishing is limited to a degree. I moved out here three years ago - my fishing so far, consists of driving to northern New Mexico 4-5 times a year for fly fishing. I have recently discovered a few spots lately I can hit up some bass fishing.
LEJ
Never been there but I've heard good things about Lake Alan Henry.

Website below shows some hunting ops there as well through the city.

New Mexico draw deadline is fast approaching.

https://ci.lubbock.tx.us/departments/lake-alan-henry
fuzzyfan
AG
Lake Alan Henry and Ransom Canyon are handy to Lubbock. Plenty of bird hunting, along with big white tails and muleys. New Mexico is close for fishing in running water, along with snow skiing. Plenty to do, if you are looking with an open mind. If you are arriving with the screw Lubbock and tech vibe, it will suck. We go to Lubbock monthly and have a nice time. Lots of live Texas music and plenty of cold beer. Since we don't play tech anymore, the hate level is way down too. Have fun!
BigRedAg18
Allen Henry for the best lake fishing. There's a few good ponds in Lubbock from what I hear though. Lake Mackenzie in Silverton is a neat little lake that I've always had good luck on as well
CanyonAg77
AG
Lots of little towns (like Cotton Center) used to sponsor pheasant hunts. Don't know if they still do.
BCO07
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Lots of little towns (like Cotton Center) used to sponsor pheasant hunts. Don't know if they still do.

They were still doing it 3 years ago.
Todd 02
AG
I live in the Lubbock area. Shoot me an email (in my profile).
ironmanag
AG
Courgar hunting is pretty fruitful from what I have been told. Especially around the kicker bars.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HombreDoce
AG
I've heard that you have to be careful with the two legged game up there. There is a high population of diseased specimens. Luckily, the two I took down were clean. Proceed with caution though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.