Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019-2020 Hunting and Fishing Rule changes

3,197 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rab79
cuz-i-can
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has this been discussed yet? Changes to length limits, anterless season for some counties, no gar fishing at night, etc. I'm trying to post the link.
AgEng06
AG
deleted to not cause confusion
AgEng06
AG
This is better... https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20190215b

Whoa...
Quote:

• An experimental 20-inch minimum antler spread restriction regulation in Lynn County.

cuz-i-can
AG
Thanks buddy...I am technologically ******ed.

Edit: FYI a synonym for mentally handicapped is blocked.
AgEng06
AG
No problem.

Here is a tweet with links to saltwater, freshwater, and hunting proposals:
cledus6150
AG
One area mentions for mule deer and one area omits mule deer, I have a feeling this is a mule deer specific recommendation.
AgEng06
AG
Well, that would make more sense...
ironmanag
AG
About time they start opening more doe seasons.

We are sitting at about a 7 to 1 doe to buck ratio.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
AgySkeet06
AG
I like the 4 day doe season for south central counties, however I feel that there needs to be some type of limitation on it (maybe by property or acreage) or a reporting system for number of does harvested during that window (like check stations).

My biggest fear is that small landowners could take advantage of the situation.
agfan2013
AG
ironmanag said:

About time they start opening more doe seasons.

We are sitting at about a 7 to 1 doe to buck ratio.

Yep. Didnt shoot anything this year; had two bucks that were right around the 13" rule and two spikes and that was all I saw all season. Saw a ton of does that I couldnt shoot, and then wasnt around to hunt on the 4 days they did give us, so I think this will be a welcome change. Isn't unusual to see groups of 4-7 doe every day where I hunt and a buck only every few days.

And I wonder what the migratory bird proposals will be. Thought I heard at one point pintails would be going right back down to only one per day.
Pignorant
AG
We absolutely need more doe days in Van Zandt County.

I am happy to see those changes.
oscar9
AG
Good to hear everyone needing more doe days. Our area seemed like the does disappeared this year. Can't think of another year where we were having to hunt hard finding a doe to shoot. Normally you see several does every hunt in our area and not concerned about filling your doe tags.
CS78
Across multiple properties, we need more doe days. Seeing 7-8 does for every one buck. Shooting spikes for meat, etc. My kids will be able to gun hunt in the next year or two. Don't want to be fighting grandmas for hunting time on thanksgiving weekend.

If overharvest is a concern due to abundance of small properties then reduce the yearly bag across the county and allow the larger property owners to do MLD.
bmac_aggie18
AG
A 5 bag limit for trout along the whole Texas Coast??

And no harvesting of alligator gar with a bow during dark??

wow.
AgEng06
AG
I like the fact that they made the distinction between "archery equipment" and "crossbow", as the good Lord intended.

Quote:

• Statewide: Between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise, no person may take or possess an alligator gar by means of lawful archery equipment or crossbow.

tlh3842
AG
The smaller trout limit has been climbing up the coast so it was only a matter of time. I'm pretty torn on it.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I don't like the 5 fish limit. I was hoping they would change the limit to the first 10 trout you catch, regardless of size. To me, the guides would be doing more shrimp and popping cork trips, instead of croakers. This almost guarantees the 10 trout would be smaller than fish typically caught on croakers.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
CS78
Troutslime said:

I don't like the 5 fish limit. I was hoping they would change the limit to the first 10 trout you catch, regardless of size. To me, the guides would be doing more shrimp and popping cork trips, instead of croakers. This almost guarantees the 10 trout would be smaller than fish typically caught on croakers.
I really wish they would consider a no minimum size limit. Sure, there's times you catch a stringer of 20" fish but more often how many 14.3/4" fish get killed putting together a limit of keepers. At five fish per person, I dont think we could ever hurt the population.
tlh3842
AG
Problem with that is it would be pretty much impossible to enforce that. Limit restrictions is the easiest thing for a game warden to check/enforce.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
tlh3842 said:

Problem with that is it would be pretty much impossible to enforce that. Limit restrictions is the easiest thing for a game warden to check/enforce.

I assume the guides would be ethical. It's my opinion that guides fishing with croakers is what hurts The fishery the most.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
PFG
AG
Quote:

. At five fish per person, I dont think we could ever hurt the population.

Have you seen the projected growth of the Texas population for the next few decades?

If you want your children and grand children to catch speckled sea trout, this 5 fish limit is the correct move.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Pretty new to saltwater fishing and am curious as to what effect guides using croakers has?
SteveBott
AG
Croakers catch bigger fish so you take a more breeders out of the population.
CS78
LiveOak said:

Have you seen the projected growth of the Texas population for the next few decades?

If you want your children and grand children to catch speckled sea trout, this 5 fish limit is the correct move.

For the record, I'm fine with a 5 fish limit. I was specifically speaking of keeping 5 small fish not hurting anything. At 5 fish the minumum size is no longer needed. Maybe I'm a little biased by growing up on big lake and watching 100 coonasses converge on one reef and put 25 small trout in the cooler day after day after day. 30 years later and still nowhere in Texas has that kind of pressure.
mneisch
AG
I'm glad to see the added protection for alligator gar. The harvest rate of the large reproducing fish has simply been unsustainable over the last few years. I feel for the guides who have made their living on this fishery but I hope that the new regulations will allow my children to see these awesome fish.
rab79
AG
CS78 said:

Troutslime said:

I really wish they would consider a no minimum size limit. Sure, there's times you catch a stringer of 20" fish but more often how many 14.3/4" fish get killed putting together a limit of keepers. At five fish per person, I dont think we could ever hurt the population.
Ummm, no. There is a reason for the minimum size limit and it is to protect the juvenile (reproductively immature) female trout population. Survival of released fish is way higher than most people think. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/M05-181.1 Every undersized fish released has a percent probability of spawning, the reproductive potential of a fish put in an ice chest is zero.
Aggieangler93
AG
This is on point with current accepted science. We need to keep the length limit in place.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
rab79
AG
Any change in the minimum size should be to move it upwards, not down. The spawning potential of the spotted seatrout population is based on the spawning biomass (total weight of the sexually mature females). The majority of the spawning biomass is made up of fish less than 3 years old which makes them under 20 inches in length. The larger females (25+ inches) make up a relatively small percentage of the spawning biomass. The number of eggs produced per pound of fish is relatively equal across the size range of mature females. For example, releasing 10 1 lb females would have the equivalent short term impact of releasing 1 10 lb female.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.