Outdoors
Sponsored by

tool set ?

4,358 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tagguy
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
im looking for a quality set for anything from simple house repairs to fixing truck with
Burdizzo
AG
The only hobby more addictive than build ARs is collecting tools.
AgBQ-00
AG
If you are looking for ratchets and wrenches i have a kobalt set that has both 1/2 in and 3/8 in drives with sockets etc that i love. Have had it over 20 years now (holy cow time flies) had no issues with it. For power tools rigid are pretty good and are backed by a good warranty.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Msgt USAF Ret
"He who dies with the most tools wins" I think I just might win.
Salt of the water
AG
Lots of good recs here for getting started.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3013016

Knowing your budget would help.

Duncan Idaho
azulAg said:

im looking for a quality set for anything from simple house repairs to fixing truck with

With few exceptions (a couple of screwdrivers and a handful of wrenches) these are two very different sets of tools.
RCR06
AG
Craftsman still makes good tools. I've also had good luck with kobalt.

Rather than just go out and buy a ton of tools you may not need. What I decided to do was buy a screwdriver set, crescent wrench, socket set, plier set, and a hammer. From there if I run into something I don't have a tool for I'll buy it when I need it.
civilized05
AG
Costco or Sam's, in addition to the box home improvement stores, usually has some decent sets for not too much. Couple that with a good hammer, mallet, channel locks and cordless drill/driver combo and you should be good to go for most vehicle and household chores.

I've got an old set from Sam's my dad bought me years ago when I first started driving and I use it on a weekly basis.
EFE
AG
If you're not running snap-on wrenches, Klein pliers and drivers, and fein power tools you're probably going to blow your self up.
the pit man
You can't beat Snap on or Mac, but they're pricey. Kobalt is a fair brand, but Craftsman these days are not the same as the ones your dad had. Several years ago, I bought a Craftsman drill press that wasn't true, brought it back and the 2nd one was the same, I just got my money back and got a Porter Cable.
Burdizzo
AG
I wouldn't have an issue with Craftsman hand tools today, but I would be very careful about Craftsman power tools these days.

Craftsman now belongs to Stanley Black & Decker. I haven't been able to figure out if SBD will make them a premier brand like DeWalt or Porter Cable or make them a secondary brand like Black & Decker. It seems like Sears was cutting corners on Craftsman quality before they sold them off.
BrazosDog02
AG
I buy two kinds of hand tools....

Snap-On and Harbor Freight.

One is used for removing nuts, one is used for removing nuts that don't move and need a sledge hammer assist.

And after beating on that wrench you can take it back for the lifetime warranty. Yes...Harbor Freight will replace that tool. LOL.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Pawn shops are great places to get hand tools, especially sockets
zachhow9
My first 301-ish tool piece kit was from Harbor Freight. Pop gave it to me when I was sixteen and I use it to this day now being 24. You can still find it there. For no more than house and automotive work it is great!
AnScAggie
AG
Check for a Craftman sale around all holidays. I bought a 450ish piece mechanics tool set for the ranch. The quality is good and the price was too. It has most tools you'll need for vehicle work, minus hammers, pliers and such. The only thing I wish it came with were nutdrivers.
CS78
I'm not one for buying fancy crap just to do it but this set of channel locks is worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-00-20-US1/dp/B000X4KNTG/ref=asc_df_B000X4KNTG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309811990469&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18306229408243959019&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027906&hvtargid=pla-444932302794&psc=1
slammerag
AG
I've pieced a substantial set of snap on over the years through eBay. Pawn shops usually price just below new off truck prices.
Tagguy
AG
You will definitely need a set of these top cap sockets.
ntxVol

After raising three boys, my tools had been scattered and I always found myself missing that one socket or wrench that I needed.

Black Friday and around Father's day you can find some pretty good deals. I just pick up a socket set or wrench set here and there.

Kobalt is pretty decent for wrenches and sockets. I still like the Craftsmen screwdrivers though.

ETA: I still find tools I've been looking for in the oddest places and I'm like "Well I'll be damn, I've been looking for that"!

EFE
AG
I haven't lived under my fathers roof since college, and I still get blamed for lost tools.... it's a running joke between my brother and I now
91AggieLawyer
AG
azulAg said:

That's a pretty big range of tools. I wouldn't worry about brands right now. Just get ones that have lifetime guarantees (hand tools) and you'll be fine. Start with Craftsman, Stanley, Lowes, or HD hand tool sets that have screwdrivers, pliers, etc. in them. Then you can add sockets and other tools as needed. I use nut drivers and the ratcheting box wrenches about as much as anything else.

You'll also want to start thinking about tool storage.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
For you kobalt guys. A significant portion of my hand tools are kobalt also. But kobalt is gone for hans tools. I asked the guy in lowes the other day and he said they're going away replaced by craftsman. I asked him if they will honor the guarantee if a tool breaks. He says they'd mail it kobalt and then kobalt would mail us a new one. Pretty useless if you're in the middle of a job.
Msgt USAF Ret
I made a smart aleck comment which did not help you any so here's my suggestion.

HOME
Claw hammer
Number 2 Phillips & Flat tip screw drivers 3 sizes each. Sometimes you can find Craftsman
Screwdriver sets, like 15 drivers for $20.
Putty knife
Crescent wrenches 6" & 12"
Channel Lock pliers 10"
Wire cutters (Dikes), Long nose pliers & regular slip joint pliers.
Pipe wrenches 8" & 14"
Small pry bar.
Awl
Half inch and 1" wood chisels
16' Tape measure
3'- 4' level
Heavy duty scissors
Saws include; hand saw, key hole saw, hack saw and power saws
Drill and wood drill bits as needed
AUTO et al MACHINERY
3/8" socket set (1/4" 3/4" & 4mm 14mm shallow and deep sockets) includes ratchet, 6" & 8" extensions, breaker bar and universal joint, also 5/8" & 13/16" spark plug sockets.
!/2" socket set (1/2" 15/16" & 13mm-19mm shallow and deep sockets) includes ratchet 6" & 12" extensions, breaker bar and universal joint
Combination wrenches (1/4" 7/8")
Ball Peen hammers (8oz & 2lb)
3/8" & 1" cold chisels
Hex wrenches
Vise Grip pliers.
Files

You can spend $1000+ on Snap-On or Proto tools or a few hundred for Kobalt, Craftsman or Stanley tools. I've visited two tool manufacturing plants. They were making Craftsman, Champion sockets at one plant and the other plant was making Craftsman, Proto & Stanley sockets at the same time. I buy Craftsman and/or Kobalt. I do not buy foreign made tools if I can find American made tools even if I have to buy them on Craig's List or eBay. Specialty tools may have to come from a foreign scource.
These are what I would suggest as starter tools. How deep you want to go into the build, repairs or rebuild of things in the house or machinery will determine the additional tools you buy or rent.
aggie_fan13
AG
how long did it take you to find that ?
Shelton98
AG
For common hand tools around the house and routine car stuff, pretty much any brand will do. A screwdriveris a screwdriver, a wrench is a wrench, and a socket is a socket. But the best piece of advice I can give you is to buy high quality ratchets.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I may be looking to unload a set of 1 inch drive sockets and bars shortly! Forget what everyone has said, you need a set of 1 inch drive sockets!!!
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Don't forget the metric 'set':

Seriously, given the packed spacing in cars these days, pick up a 1/4" socket driver and a set of smaller gear wrenches. You'll be glad.
EskimoJoe
EagleFordEarl said:

I haven't lived under my fathers roof since college, and I still get blamed for lost tools.... it's a running joke between my brother and I now

glad im not the only one!

ive found that a good way to keep your tools from being borrowed is to buy 6 point sockets and wrenches.
EskimoJoe
don't forget to buy both metric and standard crescent wrenches.
JobSecurity
AG
Download the Slickdeals app, set up an alert for "tools", buy a deal every day
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Get a set of the strange drivers. Like the star, hex, square and other weirdos. I got a set of them with a ratcheting screwdriver and it has been incredibly helpful around the house. If you have to put together kids toys and furniture, they are worth their weight in gold. So much better than using the little crappy tool they include in the bag o bolts.
P.U.T.U
AG
Craftsman is fine except for sockets. Socket broke and caused me to get stitches. Went to get a replacement and it was locked up. I was done after that
Tagguy
AG
Honestly under a minute.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.