Outdoors
Sponsored by

maybe off topic M16 related

3,439 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always wondered what was the flaw in the original iteration of the m16 that made them so unreliable in the field. I know they had to be cleaned religiously or else they would jam but why was that the case? And what was the fix? Anyone here know?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
jwright4288
AG
I thought the issue was bad magazines + marketing that the gun was self cleaning. No source, this is just off the top of my head so I could be misremembering.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
Here you go...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/
Log
AG
In short, the switch in powders, combined with trial by fire in a hot, humid environment and the assertion that they were self-cleaning. Instituting proper cleaning techniques and a chromed chamber and bore helped assuage things.
schmellba99
AG
Log said:

In short, the switch in powders, combined with trial by fire in a hot, humid environment and the assertion that they were self-cleaning. Instituting proper cleaning techniques and a chromed chamber and bore helped assuage things.
This. They are a great baseline to go to when you want a lesson in what not to do by changing some significant components or parameters between testing/proving and production.
Post removed:
by user
GSS
The powder change was the single biggest bureaucratic screwup... from the linked article:

"The Technical Coordinating Committee, which represented all services using the M-16 but was dominated by the Army, formally gave Colt permission early in 1964 to use any ammunition it had in stock for the acceptance tests. Colt received no new shipments of the original-IMR ammunition after May of 1964, but by that time the company had several million rounds on hand. Beginning in 1964, Colt used IMR powder so that its rifles would pass the acceptance tests. The Army promptly equipped those rifles with ball-powder cartridges and sent them to soldiers who needed them to stay alive. The Army's official reasoning on the matter was that since it did not recognize the theory that ball powder was the cause of the problems, why should it care which powder Colt used? Colt delivered at least 330,000 rifles under this agreement."
NRA Life
TSRA Life
jwoodmd
Regardless of testing and development, anyone thinking that the environment of Vietnam was the place to first deploy a new system was crazy.
schmellba99
AG
jwoodmd said:

Regardless of testing and development, anyone thinking that the environment of Vietnam was the place to first deploy a new system was crazy.
No matter where you go, there are going to be issues. Deploying in the ME has desert related issues, Europe has winter issues, Afghanistan has fairly extreme environments ranging from deserts to subzero temps in the higher elevations, SE asia has tropical issues, etc.
jwoodmd
schmellba99 said:

jwoodmd said:

No matter where you go, there are going to be issues. Deploying in the ME has desert related issues, Europe has winter issues, Afghanistan has fairly extreme environments ranging from deserts to subzero temps in the higher elevations, SE asia has tropical issues, etc.
No argument with any of that. I've been to all those places and familiar with the issues they bring. Try performing surgery in a field environment in each of those and you'll face similar learning curve issues. Just in my humble opinion, and growing up around machinery, tropical issues seem to be a bit on the higher end of the scale. Just my two cents from experience. But, again, issues would be there no matter where it was first deployed so not trying to argue and I agree with your comments.
Stat Monitor Repairman
schmellba99 said:

jwoodmd said:

That's a pretty good way to look at things really.

There are always gonna be issues.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Am I in before the "we should have stuck with the M-14" crowd?

The introduction of the M-16 was really bad. But the rifle it was meant to replace would go down as the shortest serving primary rifle in US history because it was even more dismal.

Here is the reason they didn't just scrap the whole project and go back to the M-14 when the M-16 had major issues early on:

http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/

Quote:

"Report on Tests for Ad Hoc Committee on Accuracy and Testing of 7.62mm Ammunition and M14 Rifles." Seven rifles each from batches accepted from H&R, Winchester, and Springfield Armory had been shipped to Aberdeen for testing to find and cure the causes of the M14's inability to meet its accuracy requirements. Examination and testing of the 21 rifles uncovered the following:

All of the rifles from Winchester and H&R exhibited excessive headspace.
All of the rifles had loose handguards.
95% of the rifles had loose stock bands.
90% of the rifles had loose gas cylinders.
75% of the rifles had misaligned op rods and gas pistons.
50% of the rifles had loose op rod guides.
50% of the rifles had op rods that rubbed the stock.
Three rifles had barrels that exceed the maximum bore dimensions.
Only three rifles had an average bore diameter that fell below the accepted mean diameter.
One rifle was found to have a broken safety while another had a misassembled safety spring.
One rifle had a misassembled flash suppressor, which was actually contacting bullets during live fire tests.

A barrel from each manufacturer was sectioned for examination of the bore and chrome lining. The chrome lining was out of tolerance (uneven and on average too thin) in all three barrels. The H&R barrel also failed the surface-finish requirements. During accuracy testing, the M14 rifles produced greater group dispersion and variation in the center of impact than the control rifles (two T35 and two AR10). NATO testing was quoted indicating that the Canadian C1 (FN FAL) and German G3 were less sensitive to variations within and among ammo lots...

hopeandrealchange
Great article. Thanks for sharing. I am just amazed at the horrible stupidity that cost so much loss of life.

How much of this kind of government stupidity will we learn of that has happened in the past 30 years?
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for the article. That is a depressing read.
Something that caught my eye was the twist rate. Do modern rifles and ammo overcome that change?
Log
AG
Yes. Twist rate is determined by bullet weight and geometry. They were using 55 gr. M193 back then. We are using 1:7 now in service rifles with 62 gr M855A1. More specialized (i.e SPR) rigs use 1:8 and shoot the Mk26 MOD 1 77 gr. SMK's. There are a few other oddballs that are being used and/or tested on occassion as well.

One the civilian/hunting side, bullet construction has come a long way. Typically anything 55 gr. and under is best in a 1:12 or 1:14. 55 gr shoots well in 1:12, 1:8, and 1:7. 62 gr and up is best in something 1:8 or faster.
AgBQ-00
AG
That was what I figured and lined up with the stuff I had seen when doing ammo research for my AR. But wanted other opinions as well.
texrover91
AG
That reads like a third-world product.

So what was the root issue with the M14? didn't All of those manufacturers produce thousands of Garands with a higher build quality?

Poor design?
Poor manufacturing spec?
Poor QC?
All of the above?

Boggles the mind that we went from the Garand to that in a short period of time, while the Italians took maybe 5 years to turn out the BM59?
Aggietaco
AG
jwoodmd said:

Except that, according to that article, the thousands of rifles that made it to the jungle unmolested and with mfr spec ammo performed flawlessly.

Thanks for sharing the article, EastTexasAg1994, it was a great summary.
BenderRodriguez
AG
texrover91 said:

That reads like a third-world product.

So what was the root issue with the M14? didn't All of those manufacturers produce thousands of Garands with a higher build quality?
They did, absolutely.

In fact, that's part of why we adopted the M-14: it was going to be cheaper to produce than setting up domestic production of the FAL (the rifle the rest of NATO was trying to adopt) because the decision makers were told by folks like Springfield (the govt entity, not the commercial one) that M1 tooling could be used for much of the M-14 assembly line. Combine that with a naturally American dislike of foreign made and designed weapons and it seemed like a no brainer to go with the M-14.

And the bit about the tooling would have been true, if the tooling hadn't just been used to crank out millions of M1s over the last 15+ years. It was old, worn, and out of spec.

So new tooling had to be set up. Much like Remington moving the Marlin production from one factory to another recently, new tooling produced issues. They also had some supply issues with inconsistent steel, and additional issues with proper heat treating. I'm not really sure how they managed to also have issues with this, but parts that were supposed to be "drop in identical" made by the 3 different companies producing them....weren't.

The design of the M-14 wasn't necessarily bad. The real crime of the entire project was less the adaption of the M-14 itself and more that we forced NATO to stick with a .30 rifle cartridge instead of the higher velocity, light weight smaller bullet they wanted to adapt....and then we finally got with the program and got on board with the 5.56 less than a decade later anyway.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
EastTexasAg1994 said:

Here you go...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/
Thanks for posting this ... I am reading through it now.
I had heard some but nearly all of this in the detail provided.

Something that stuck out so far in the article
To those who used the M16/M4 in the military ... the forward assist (bolt closing device), how often did you need to use it?
BenderRodriguez
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Something that stuck out so far in the article
To those who used the M16/M4 in the military ... the forward assist (bolt closing device), how often did you need to use it?

Now there is a whole big can of worms.

Pat Rogers, a very, very well known and respected Marine Vietnam veteran and firearms instructor was not a fan of using the forward assist, and he's put more rounds through dirty, rough use ARs and M-16s than most folks ever will. I like his advice, which is "Never use the forward assist". If you need to push the bolt forward, you can do so with a thumb on the bolt itself. If it won't go forward, forcing it with the FA is likely to cause more problems than it fixes.

They can also break (though it is admittedly rare, but more likely to happen if you're pounding on the thing trying to force a round that won't feed). I had one of my ARs lock up recently due to a broken forward assist, and I didn't even use the FA, the pawl roll pin just broke and jammed the forward assist pawl against my bolt, locking it in the forward position. Not field serviceable, had to be taken apart at home with punches to be fixed and put back in working order.

Some of my ARs have them, some don't. It doesn't bother me either way, but my favorite go to gun is a slick side upper. Doesn't even have an option for the forward assist, and I'm fine with that.

UTExan
The M16 was a great concept: a lightweight platform with a smaller, lethal projectile seemed tailor made for a hot, humid climate like Vietnam. But the Russian concept was better: a rifle with lots of space between moving parts and a cartridge that was roughly equivalent to a .30-30. It was also light, had good metal treatment to resist humidity and simple construction with no small parts which could be field stripped in seconds. When you are sending troops into the boonies on missions where quick support may not be available, you need to give them them the simplest, most reliable and most lethal rifle with which to defend themselves. That is why our Marines would dump their M16s and pick up captured AKs with which to defend themselves.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The reliability of the AK has been way, way, way overblown.
P.U.T.U
AG
Pun intended?

metrag06
AG
Hey, it went bang every time...
UTExan
BenderRodriguez said:

I beg to differ. I served with the 163rd Military Intelligence battalion in the mid-1970s and my job was to help maintain captured Soviet weapons as one of our companies took on the training mission to morph into a Soviet motorized rifle company. As an Ordnance branch officer it was an unexpected treat to discover Soviet small arms and how reliable they were: rugged to the point of being primitive because they were designed for long periods of hard use without adequate maintenance. Their approach toward weapons system effectiveness derives from their WW2 experience in an austere maintenance environment. Nowhere near as elegant as western systems, for sure, but 70 years of use is a testament to their reliability.
jwoodmd
UTExan said:

BenderRodriguez said:

I beg to differ. I served with the 163rd Military Intelligence battalion in the mid-1970s and my job was to help maintain captured Soviet weapons as one of our companies took on the training mission to morph into a Soviet motorized rifle company. As an Ordnance branch officer it was an unexpected treat to discover Soviet small arms and how reliable they were: rugged to the point of being primitive because they were designed for long periods of hard use without adequate maintenance. Their approach toward weapons system effectiveness derives from their WW2 experience in an austere maintenance environment. Nowhere near as elegant as western systems, for sure, but 70 years of use is a testament to their reliability.
Add to it how flexible it is and it really makes it stand out. By flexible, I mean parts made in China, Egypt, Russia, would all work with one another and not have tolerance/compatability issues. It is also amazing how "dirty" one of the AK's can become and not have reliability issues.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Let me clarify.

AKs have this exaggerated reputation for reliability: that no matter what conditions they're in, what maintenance they do or don't receive, they just work.

Conversely, the M-16/AR design has a reputation as a finicky gun, that needs constant babying and maintenance to stay running.

Both of those reputations are undeserved.

There is a company called Battlefield Vegas that rents full auto guns to tourists. They shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year through all kinds of guns, including ARs and AKs. Here is a thread on the durability of each gun from the owner:

High round count ARs

High round count AKs

You'll notice both guns seem to run similarly well. The only real difference between the two is that the AKs tend to crack receivers at the 80,000-100,000 round range, and the ARs don't. Other than that, both break parts. Both require barrels, bolts, springs, etc on occasion. I'm not going to crap on the AKs for that, it's the nature of a heavy reciprocating piston/bolt mass and a stamped receiver that has to take that force, and 80,000 rounds is a lot. But the AR doesn't subject its receiver to the same stresses in the same way, so in at least one way from the outset, the AR is more reliable long term than an AK.

Here's another article about Pat Rogers (who I mentioned earlier in this thread) and one of his ARs: Filthy 14, which he finally cleaned after 26,000 rounds of shooting classes.

Filthy 14

And finally, here's a mud test from the guys over at InRangeTV. Spoiler alert: the AR does better than the AK.

AK mud test

AR mud test

I'm not saying that the AK isn't a reliable gun. But it isn't substantially more reliable than an M-16, contrary to both guns internet reputations. Both guns are reliable. Both are serviceable. I own both and like both, I just don't like the traditional gun shop counter lore about the myth of the "indestructible, uber reliable AK".
UTExan
BenderRodriguez said:

Let me clarify.

AKs have this exaggerated reputation for reliability: that no matter what conditions they're in, what maintenance they do or don't receive, they just work.

Conversely, the M-16/AR design has a reputation as a finicky gun, that needs constant babying and maintenance to stay running.

Both of those reputations are undeserved.

There is a company called Battlefield Vegas that rents full auto guns to tourists. They shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year through all kinds of guns, including ARs and AKs. Here is a thread on the durability of each gun from the owner:

High round count ARs

High round count AKs

You'll notice both guns seem to run similarly well. The only real difference between the two is that the AKs tend to crack receivers at the 80,000-100,000 round range, and the ARs don't. Other than that, both break parts. Both require barrels, bolts, springs, etc on occasion. I'm not going to crap on the AKs for that, it's the nature of a heavy reciprocating piston/bolt mass and a stamped receiver that has to take that force, and 80,000 rounds is a lot. But the AR doesn't subject its receiver to the same stresses in the same way, so in at least one way from the outset, the AR is more reliable long term than an AK.

Here's another article about Pat Rogers (who I mentioned earlier in this thread) and one of his ARs: Filthy 14, which he finally cleaned after 26,000 rounds of shooting classes.

Filthy 14

And finally, here's a mud test from the guys over at InRangeTV. Spoiler alert: the AR does better than the AK.

AK mud test

AR mud test

I'm not saying that the AK isn't a reliable gun. But it isn't substantially more reliable than an M-16, contrary to both guns internet reputations. Both guns are reliable. Both are serviceable. I own both and like both, I just don't like the traditional gun shop counter lore about the myth of the "indestructible, uber reliable AK".
Interesting info, but the AK was designed to have space between moving parts for reliability in sustained military field operations. You are certainly correct that the AR is a good weapons system. No argument there, and it is one reason I have one for social work should SHTF hit society. But I also stock cotter pins/firing pins,etc as a maintenance/repair kit. OTOH, I have a Valmet M76 (AK system) and broke the firing pin. I was able to Dremel a reasonable substitute out of a pin lying around my place until I could secure a permanent replacement, which turned out to be a firing pin for a Bulgarian AK. For me, the AK is just a better system for the long run, which is why I have two in the SHTF kit along with the Smith/Wesson AR. Secondly, I realize that arming a neighbor or friend will be a likely necessity because they see no need for preparing now. But I will need them as they need me in the event of a societal crisis and the AK requires very little training time. For the same reason I also have a Tokarev and Makarov pistols as measures to provide nearly idiot proof weapons systems. Edit to say that during the 2nd Gulf War, a Maintenance Bn operating in Iraq had several AR platform failures due to failure to keep the rifle clean. That was an instructive moment for many about the need to keep the AR bolt system clean.
BenderRodriguez
AG
You broke a part on a Valmet? And those are like the Cadillac of the "indestructible AKs"......

I used to have a lot more AKs than I do these days. Only one I really miss is my Polish underfolder. Still have my Saiga, glad I kept that one.

I'm going to get a micro galil built this year or next (AK related because it's derived from the Valmet which was derived from the AK...)

Current condition:

Someday:

AgBQ-00
AG
The century arms wasr ak47...is it a decent rifle?
UTExan
Quote:

You broke a part on a Valmet? And those are like the Cadillac of the "indestructible AKs"......
Yep. The early import firing pins were very weak, unlike the later iteration in the Israeli Galil, which corrected the problem. The Valmet was my duty carry rifle for three years and the pin did not break until 2006. It gave a lot of good service.
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

The century arms wasr ak47...is it a decent rifle?

General rule when you hear the name century is to be very, very cautious.

However, they're just importing the current WASRs which are made by Cugir in Romania and are very good.

I'd buy one if I was looking to add to my AK collections instead of my current interests.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.