Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rifle Cases

2,862 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AnScAggie
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to completely overhaul my gun cases.

Looking for suggestions on both soft and hard cases.
txaggie02
AG
I bought a couple Pelican cases last year for hunting trips that required airline travel for my .300 Win Mag and .50 cal muzzleloader. I think several other brands are pretty much the same quality, but I went the Pelican route since they are very reputable and were 40% off. Wouldn't pay full price as they are pretty pricey and you can find them on sale online quite often. Really like the durability, especially for for airline travel. Don't think there much value in buying this type of case just to put it in the back seat of a truck though.
SharkinAg
AG
I bought several rtic cases when they were on sale. They are solid.
FightinBQ09
AG
I have flown with my shotgun and rifle in my Pelican case multiple times and never had an issue. They can be a bit pricey but they're definitely durable.
Naveronski
AG
+1 for Pelican stuff. Pricey for sure, but you can always buy used and get new foam.

And IIRC, there was someone on here who custom cut foam with a hot wire.
Cibalo
I recently bought a Plano case and was very happy with how rugged and secure it was built

https://www.planomolding.com/
Log
AG
These have gotten good reviews.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/44in-protective-case-member-s-mark/prod21231158.ip

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/members-mark-22in-protective-safety-box-w-wheels/prod22240234.ip
slammerag
AG
I like the boyt harness canvas soft cases
lazuras_dc
AG
Is a case like this suitable to fly with?

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Case/dp/B000P583SQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1550682812&sr=8-14&keywords=plano+2+rifle+case

Or would yall recommend something like this? Would this hold two rifles w scopes? Even though it says rifle/shotgun case? I didn't find one that held 2 scoped rifles atleast on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-PLA11852-Weather-Doublex-Shotgun/dp/B07B7ZB484/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550682812&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=plano+2+rifle+case&psc=1

Would this work even though it shows two AR style rifles?

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Wheels/dp/B0029KDHQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550682812&sr=8-4&keywords=plano+2+rifle+case
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
no
yes
yes

I have a pelican 1750 but I really like the fact that the Planos have locking latches. I've picked up mine on two occasions where all the latches have been popped open (presumably by the "throwers") and the locks are the only thing holding the case closed. Luckily my locks fit snug but the Plano solves that problem

other thing to look for in a case is not too many (more than 2) places to put a lock. Myself and others here have run into issues with gate and/or TSA agents refusing to accept a gun case that doesn't have a lock in every lock hole. If you do buy a case that has 6 or 8 spots for a lock make sure and get 6 or 8 locks to go with it
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The pelicans are kickass but we sell more Plano Gun Guards than anything. They are very well built and a lot cheaper. I think the standard AR one is like $80ish bucks, give or take.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
aftershock
The Walmart at 1093 and 1463 (fulshear/Richmond) has all their soft cases for like $5 and had double rifle Flambeau cases for $7 yesterday.
civilized05
AG
I've got a Pelican 1750 that I love. It's heavy as hell loaded out so I'm glad it has wheels. I built a foam cutter and cut mine myself.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a pelican or Rtic case depending on the price. I don't think you can go wrong either way. See which one has the features you want and go for it.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
civilized05 said:

I've got a Pelican 1750 that I love. It's heavy as hell loaded out so I'm glad it has wheels.

Isn't that the truth! I throw my huge duffel bag on top, wear my day pack, and am rolling through town/across the airport with all my gear in one trip with no cart!
BCOBQ98
AG
I went from Houston to Zimbabwe with a pelican with no issues. One short trip to South Dakota was another story. I retreived the case there and the latches were popped open with only the 4 locks holding it closed. The stock on one of my shotguns was cracked as a result. I now tape the latches with duct tape twice around and bring a roll for the return trip. I'm guessing they didn't pop open on their own and that some friendly person helped
txag2008
AG
If you're in Dallas and you have foam let me know. I just built a foam cutter and it works great for customizing stuff like this.
FSGuide
txag2008 said:

If you're in Dallas and you have foam let me know. I just built a foam cutter and it works great for customizing stuff like this.

You built a razor blade?
Born Maroon
AG
FSGuide said:

txag2008 said:

You built a razor blade?
FSGuide
I got the Cabelas / BPS flier in the mail today. They have 20% off all Vault gun cases. I've never had one of them.

I recently bought a Plano case that was on sale on amazon. It's pretty decent. Came with a layer of pluck foam for customizing to your rifle.
AnScAggie
AG
Pelican, Plano All Weather, Koplin Gun Boot and SKB are all good hard sided gun cases. I prefer the Plano for my AR, the gun boot for traditional rifles when carrying to the blind and the Pelican and SKB for transporting in vehicles and planes. My SKB will hold four scoped rifles and the Pelican holds two, both weigh a ton, are durable and I've never had a problem with either. Don't discount the Plano All Weather, it's a very well made case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.