Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lost tread on 2 trailer tires

4,206 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BMach
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Double axle trailer lost tread on the front right (~2000 miles on the tire at the time) and the spare lost its tread an hour later (0 miles). Do you experts think this is a bad batch of tires or is something wrong with the axle, brakes, or bearings?

Going to XPost on Automotive

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3021563/replies/53781641
Muzzleblast
Stored outside?

Sounds like sun damage / dry rot.
Mule_lx
AG
It is stored outside, but the trailer is a year and half old. No cracking or signs of dry rot on any other tire.
Silvy
AG
Just because the trailer is 1.5 years old doesn't mean the tires are as well. There are certainly bad models of tires. Generally speaking, I don't expect a batch of same model of tires to be bad from a company that has good QC (not Goodyear).

Tires on a tandem axle trailer are subjected to more lateral forces than a single axle, I recommend running tires built for trailer use if you aren't already.

Post some pics of the tires
ghollow
AG
how fast are you pulling it? How heavy of a load?
ARKY AGGIE
AG
Check the DOT codes to see if they are from the same batch. If they are could possibly be an issue. Also check to see if the other tires are from the same batch.

You can find the DOT codes near the tire bead. The last four digits will give you the week and the year the tire was made.

Example: 3017, The 30th week of 2017.
TxAg20
AG
I've had a couple of new trailers come with bad tires. Both times, I just replaced all the tires and didn't have any other issues. When able, I use Michelin Defender LTX for trailer tires. They're technically not a trailer tire, but they're the benchmark in the Airstream community. Some tire chops won't mount a non-trailer tire on a trailer though.
Mule_lx
AG
75 mph loaded with 2 show hogs and some show tack.
ghollow
AG
Mule_lx said:

75 mph loaded with 2 show hogs and some show tack.
It has been my experience that heat is the cause of tread loss if there are no other factors, such as dry-rot. under-inflation can be a problem too. My BIL had a problem keeping tires on his trailer years ago. He got fed up with it eventually and sold me the trailer. Turned out that the axles were not lined up very well and was causing tires to get excessively hot when carrying a decent load. It also had four different brands of tires on it. I put on four new trailer tires and lined up the axles as best I could. I usually keep my speed at 70 or under when carrying a good load. I regularly trailer a 5500 lbs. tractor.

I am still running the same set of tires 5 years later.
Mas89
AG
Check the tracking/ alignment of the axles and wheels.
Then install 5 new Carlisle high speed trailer tires. Expensive and worth the money.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What type of tires are they? Are they Bias or Radial?

Can you find the DOT code on the sidewalk, near the bead that consist of several numbers? That will indicate the age of the tire... the last 4 numbers indicate approximate date of manufacture.
Kenneth_2003
AG
What was the tire pressure? When was the last time you checked the pressure?

Trailer tires with their stiffer sidewalls are notorious for not showing signs of being under inflated. My guess is they were low and the extra flex led to the failure.
Burrus86
AG
It sounds like the trailer manufacturer went as cheap as possible on the original tires. Had the same thing happen on a custom built BBQ smoker. Ended up replacing all four tires and the spare within two years.
Mule_lx
AG
Tire pressure is checked every time before it goes on the road and were correct.

I cannot check the date of manufacture until later.
Mule_lx
AG
DOT Code 3015
docb
AG
tires made in China?
Mule_lx
AG
Castle Rock Radial tires.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Mule_lx said:

DOT Code 3015

Only 3.5 years old... what brand and load rating?

I would guess they're cheap, crappy tires and the load rating wasn't sufficient.
Whitetail
AG
Suggest pulling the trailer for 10 minutes or so at speed. Stop and feel if the tires are hot. Tires should get warm, but not hot.
Mule_lx
AG
Castle Rock. I'm not sure of the load rating.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Mule_lx said:

Castle Rock. I'm not sure of the load rating.

Stick with a Carlisle or other name brand trailer tire and I would probably load up, assuming you were running Ds, to an E.
Chief77
AG
Stay away from Carlisle. Had several bad experiences with them! Now I fun Maxxis on 5th wheels, flat beds and others load range E only!!
slammerag
AG
I bought Carlisle rated for 81 mph. Low speed tires don't hold up well going 75+
Rexter
You do realize most tire manufacturers recommend replacing trailer tires at 3 yrs, right? They have a shelf life.

That said, I run radial car tires on all of my trailers. I'll prolly jinx myself, but I've never had a blowout.
Horse with No Name
Are you saying that you mounted the spare in the same place where the first tire crapped out, then it went bad almost immediately?

If that is the case, then I'd guess that you have a hanger,shackle, equalizer bar, or spring that has come loose, gotten bent, or been damaged.

I had some off brand trailer tires that I'd pulled under all sorts of loads for 8-10 years. One day my drivers did rear wen from slight wear to threads showing in one afternoon. My equalizer bars were nearly worn thru as well as shackles and bolts that were shot.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
Mule_lx
AG
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Both tires lost tread in the front right position within an hour of each other.
Horse with No Name
Something is out of alignment or broken and putting a ton of pressure on that spot. Be thankful though, sometimes your rim just snaps around the hub and shoots a 100lb tire off down the street.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
Centerpole90
AG
most importantly...

Did you the pigs placed?
cbr
AG
3 trailers
Every brand of tire made, all e rated or higher
Not overloaded
Not old
Not over or under inflated
Never had a trailer tire make more than a couple of thousand miles. Most hundreds.
16" are better. Still terrible.
Basically all trailer tires on the market are pure garbage.

The only way nay will last are if everything is perfect, you dont haul anything heavy, you keep the trailer inside and you never get over 70. And you never haul a long way.

I now run michelin commercial truck tires $300 each, we will see if they last.
Mule_lx
AG
Victory lap straight to the trailer.
Centerpole90
AG
Been there.

You've received great advice here. No need for me to add to it except to say check that spindle/hub that it hasn't been bent and heating up the tire.
Scotty88
AG
I had same problem on my 16' double axle trailer after it was damaged in an accident.

Ended up the axle was bent. New axle solved the problem.
Jack Squat 83
AG
If they chunked the tread only and still held air, more than likely they had "tread separation" due to poor workmanship or age. Heat can be a factor but that would typically be a summer-time issue. IMO it was just a fluke that they were in the same position, if they still had air in them.
jsdaltxag
You have a bent axle.
BMach
AG
Commercial tire salesman here...air pressure maintenance is rule number one, second make sure you have a tire rated for your load, third most trailer tires aren't rated for anything faster than 75, many are less than that. Like others have stated, name brand LT rated tires do much better than the Chinese crap. Personally, I believe the 14PR Hankooks are one of the best trailer tires on the market.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.