Outdoors
Sponsored by

Big avalanche in Taos this afternoon.

9,507 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
SunrayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Several skiers rescued, but still searching.

http://www.newschannel10.com/2019/01/17/multiple-people-buried-after-avalanche-taos-ski-resort/?fbclid=IwAR3MJFIDHoBLt8_OSOXO6OFciYI-bDYKimoUsaw54fWNaJ6lXDQxQmdqqec
La Fours
AG
Damn. That's awful. Hope they find everyone and get them out safe.
Scriffer
AG
Inbounds avalanche doesn't sound good
aggiepublius
AG
Quote:

...said the snow from the avalanche is so deep that the probes, which are as long as 30 feet, would not reach the bottom of the snowpack.
wildcat08
AG
With luck, the two rescued may be the only two. A lady quoted in another story I saw was a witness, and saw two skiers skiing down about where it came down and a third off to the side. She looked off, heard the sound of the avalanche and looked back up to see it coming down. The two skiers disappeared. She wasn't sure about the third.
SunrayAg
AG
New update said the 2 rescued were the only 2 buried, and everyone else is accounted for.
FrontPorchAg
aggiepublius said:

Quote:

...said the snow from the avalanche is so deep that the probes, which are as long as 30 feet, would not reach the bottom of the snowpack.

Probes aren't 30 ft long. In that part of the country, they are usually about ~270cm. Closer to 9ft.

There is a lot of misinformation in the initial article but talking to one of the guides from that area he says it does sound bad.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Wouldn't the resort be able to determine how many people were skiing at that moment by pulling up how many lift passes were scanned?

If you ski, worth it to wear a helmet and have an avalanche beacon.
Tecolote
AG
That is awful. I grew up skiing that exact area quite a bit. They had a howitzer to have controlled small avalanches to minimize the risk of such incidents. The one airlifted to UNM hospital sadly may not make it - if he does there's likely brain damage. This is really sad.
Tejas Ag 10
AG
Not on that lift. Taos doesn't scan at every lift on the mountain.
FrontPorchAg
brs4688 said:

Wouldn't the resort be able to determine how many people were skiing at that moment by pulling up how many lift passes were scanned?

If you ski, worth it to wear a helmet and have an avalanche beacon.
In the Rockies, there are a few resorts I would recommend wearing a beacon while you ski. Though most ski resorts you are fine. Honestly, you have to be on or under 30-degree terrain in order to be at risk and most ski resort terrain isn't that steep.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
HarleySpoon
AG
Just took the family skiing there last week and was complaining that the Kachina lift and basin were not open. Over the years I've seen a number of small avalanches roll down Kachina as I rode up the lift....this was apparently much bigger. Kachina is one of the few places in North America where you can do bowl skiing using a lift rather than hiking, helicoptering, or snow sled. Pretty neat little hidden gem as compared to most lift accessible runs in the US Rockies.

Looks like one guy died and another is in critical condition now. Very sad.
ccard257
AG
one dead. ****.
Tecolote
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Just took the family skiing there last week and was complaining that the Kachina lift and basin were not open. Over the years I've seen a number of small avalanches roll down Kachina as I rode up the lift....this was apparently much bigger. Kachina is one of the few places in North America where you can do bowl skiing using a lift rather than hiking, helicoptering, or snow sled. Pretty neat little hidden gem as compared to most lift accessible runs in the US Rockies.

I hear you and it's a great hidden gem. At Taos there are some regions that are connected and the news seems to interchange. Kachina basin has been chair lift accessible for decades and is spectacular - most skiers did not go to that side at it was about a 40 minute trek by multiple chair lifts just to get back there. You could see the avalanches coming off Kachina peak that sometimes would roll down very near the top part of the Kachina basin lift. About a few years ago, they added a lift to take people to the upper part and Kachina peak - which was the part previously only accessible by helicopter and hiking - and was closed often due to Avalanche danger. Kachina peak isn't a family ski area - while the lower part has different levels. In the old days, the lower lift accessible (albeit stil require a very short hike up) favorite of mine was Hunziker Bowl. The upper par was incredible but was expensive (helicopter), damn hard to get to (hiking), or closed. There's going to be some big lawsuits as that region should have been closed or better Avalanche prevention taken.

As a very side note to this very sad story, my grandparents use to own some of the land that the lower part of the ski area and base camp are located. They sold to a guy named Ernie Blake, who then started the ski area. I still am mad they didn't put free skiing in the deal for all children, grandchildren, etc.
HarleySpoon
AG
Tecolote said:

HarleySpoon said:

I hear you and it's a great hidden gem. At Taos there are some regions that are connected and the news seems to interchange. Kachina basin has been chair lift accessible for decades and is spectacular - most skiers did not go to that side at it was about a 40 minute trek by multiple chair lifts just to get back there. You could see the avalanches coming off Kachina peak that sometimes would roll down very near the top part of the Kachina basin lift. About a few years ago, they added a lift to take people to the upper part and Kachina peak - which was the part previously only accessible by helicopter and hiking - and was closed often due to Avalanche danger. Kachina peak isn't a family ski area - while the lower part has different levels. In the old days, the lower lift accessible (albeit stil require a very short hike up) favorite of mine was Hunziker Bowl. The upper par was incredible but was expensive (helicopter), damn hard to get to (hiking), or closed. There's going to be some big lawsuits as that region should have been closed or better Avalanche prevention taken.

As a very side note to this very sad story, my grandparents use to own some of the land that the lower part of the ski area and base camp are located. They sold to a guy named Ernie Blake, who then started the ski area. I still am mad they didn't put free skiing in the deal for all children, grandchildren, etc.
We would just spend hours and hours back up and down Hunziker back in the day....and it was a journey to get back there. What's scary is my Aggie senior just eight days ago was hiking up to and skiing down some of the ridge areas over on the right side when Kachina was closed (with resort employees who invited him to join them). I understand Taos sold about three years ago and that they are trying to upgrade the lifts. Understand the new Austrian restaurant is great by the way. We've skied all over (Norway, Austria, Colorado, California, Canada, Vermont...lol)....and just really enjoy Taos. Really hope this accident doesn't sharply curtail the use of Kachina and the it's basin.
HarleySpoon
AG
Other thing I like about Taos is that old folks get free lift tickets. My father in law never had to pay when it was 70+ free. Now that it's 80+ free and he still skis free...he just turned 90. And...he ski's at least half a day (usually the whole day) every day his grandkids ski. He first skied in 1941 when he was 13 at Berthold Pass.

Kind of neat seeing the my kids ski with their 90 year old grandfather.
sunchaser
AG
I skied there before a lift took you to the top. I went to The Ridge numerous times and today couldn't name a single run other than Twin Trees Chute. One time was enough!
Tecolote
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Tecolote said:

HarleySpoon said:

We would just spend hours and hours back up and down Hunziker back in the day....and it was a journey to get back there. What's scary is my Aggie senior just eight days ago was hiking up to and skiing down some of the ridge areas over on the right side when Kachina was closed (with resort employees who invited him to join them). I understand Taos sold about three years ago and that they are trying to upgrade the lifts. Understand the new Austrian restaurant is great by the way. We've skied all over (Norway, Austria, Colorado, California, Canada, Vermont...lol)....and just really enjoy Taos. Really hope this accident doesn't sharply curtail the use of Kachina and the it's basin.
That's too close for comfort with your son and the timing. Hunziker was so great as even on crowded days, it was peaceful and like your private area. Did know they were expanding/upgrading but didn't know it sold recently. Most of my family is still in the area but sadly it's been a few years since I've been up to Taos for skiing. Got to try the Austian restaraunt - thanks for that info. And I've also been fortunate to ski all over - France, Austria, Switzerland, Colorado, and California. My slight favorite is likely Pitztal in Austria but 1b is Taos. And growing up I always thought "it's just Taos, no big deal" - I also hope it doesn't cause use restrictions of the entire area. Likely the peak will be closed the rest of the year to review the accident and new safety procedures. Hopefully, the basin isn't affected.
Tecolote
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Other thing I like about Taos is that old folks get free lift tickets. My father in law never had to pay when it was 70+ free. Now that it's 80+ free and he still skis free...he just turned 90. And...he ski's at least half a day (usually the whole day) every day his grandkids ski. He first skied in 1941 when he was 13 at Berthold Pass.

Kind of neat seeing the my kids ski with their 90 year old grandfather.
That's pretty cool.
AgTech88
AG
Took a year off school and ski bummed in Crested Butte - winter '86-'87. It was a really bad avalanche year - something to do with the way the snow fell mixed with temp changes as I remember. I got some search & rescue training and did some snowmobile guiding and worked with hot air balloon outfit. Twice had to dig someone out of avalanch - found both quick and they were ok. Was wild how the snow set up like concrete when it stopped- had to chip and dig to reach them. When I got to one guys face his eyelids were closed but bugged out - it had packed snow under his eyelids!
Had an avalanch crack off just under me once. Balloon had to set down on a narrow ridge - basket about 70' down the slope and balloon draped over other side. The pilot and guests had scrambled to top of ridge but we had to get the basket up. Several of us tied off (harnesses and belay ropes etc.) and went down to start digging it out. Avalanch broke off a few feet below us - it was small maybe 100' wide and only ran 100-150 yards down the slope. Sounded like a shotgun blast when it broke. Took out small aspen trees like twigs at the bottom. Scary sheet.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Which resorts?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Man that sucks. Its been real cold for a couple weeks out that way, hasn't it? Did it slide all the way to the ground?
Tejas Ag 10
AG
sunchaser said:

I skied there before a lift took you to the top. I went to The Ridge numerous times and today couldn't name a single run other than Twin Trees Chute. One time was enough!

I hiked the ridge yesterday maybe 30 mins after the avalanche. Had no idea why the hike up to kachina was roped off once we got up there so we had to take another run down and dropped in from the ridge. Once we got down the mountain to the Bavarian we found out what happened. Very surreal and scary close call. Thoughts and prayers to the victims family. He was only 26 years old.
ccard257
AG
There are lots of places I have or would ski with my beacon on inbounds depending on the snow conditions and what I plan to ski. Silverton requires them, but it's a bit different place. If you have one, batteries are cheap.
Tecolote
AG
The second skier died. So sad.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Only ever worn one while riding a snowmobile. First time it was required. We were riding in a bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. The guide made it very clear where we could ride to keep from triggering a slide
The Lost
Tecolote said:

HarleySpoon said:

There's going to be some big lawsuits as that region should have been closed or better Avalanche prevention taken.
These are really hard to win as it is usually sited as an inherited risk of skiing.

https://recreation-law.com/2016/06/13/colorado-supreme-court-rules-that-an-inbounds-avalanche-is-an-inherent-risk-assumed-by-skiers-based-upon-the-colorado-skier-safety-act/

The laws are incredibly favorable to the resorts, granted most probably wouldn't exist without that either because insurance would be insane. There seems to be 10+ that die a year in colorado, usually trees though.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/18/ski-area-avalanches-inbounds-lawsuits-fail/
insulator_king
AG
Skiing is a dangerous sport. The science of avalanches is not well understood, and is part of the possibility, ie inherent risk of skiing.

Tecolote
AG
insulator_king said:

Skiing is a dangerous sport. The science of avalanches is not well understood, and is part of the possibility, ie inherent risk of skiing.

Absolutely agree. The post above bothered me with the comment

"The guide made it very clear where we could ride to keep from triggering a slide"

Yes, the guide has lots of info on what may trigger a slide, but anyone who claims they know "very clear" should raise some eyebrows at the least.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
The guide said, do not ride past the orange fence towards the lee side of the mountain where the snow accumulates. Does that make it more clear or are you still triggered??
Tecolote
AG
brs4688 said:

The guide said, do not ride past the orange fence towards the lee side of the mountain where the snow accumulates. Does that make it more clear or are you still triggered??
Not triggered - but, am not sure why you needed a guide to tell you about the orange fence.

ETA - and for the record, my comments about your guide's comments were not directed toward you personally. It was a warning that even very experienced guides and mountaineers are not able to call it all the time with what is an avalanche danger or what will or will not trigger one. It was supportive of the post and comments by Insulator King.
AgTech88
AG
Another avalanche in Aspen. Anyone know what conditions make for more avalanche danger? The year I lived in Crested Butte we had record avalanches - what I remember it was due to the way the snowfalls came along with temps? Any truth to that? Just curious what makes some years worse for avalanche danger...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
as I alluded to earlier, my guess is that long stretches of real cold weather are causing depth hoar formation, which basically means there's a layer of big slippery "ball-bearing" crystals down deep, that the rest of the snowpack is sitting on. When they're under many feet of snow they can be difficult to detect, and control basically involves getting the entire snowpack to release, or wait until spring when day/night melt/freeze cycles can stabilize it. There were a couple seasons when i lived in CO that avy danger stayed super high for most of the winter for this reason, so if you wanted to ski backcountry you either had to ski low angle or really really steep (i.e. too steep for a real snowpack to hang on)...or ski inbounds and wait until spring
PFG
AG
Moderately experienced here...

What's the draw to back country/out of bounds skiing?

Fewer people?
Scenery?
More advanced?
Risk taking adrenaline rush?

All the above?
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
ccard257
AG
LiveOak said:

Moderately experienced here...

What's the draw to back country/out of bounds skiing?

Fewer people? Yes. Being deep in the woods, alone or nearly alone, in the winter is one of my favorite outdoor experiences
Scenery? Big Time
More advanced? Yes and no. I tend to ski more conservatively anytime I am in the backcountry, but sometimes the terrain is more serious too. It is certainly more advanced from the mental aspect, and I enjoy that... not the time to put in the headphones and zone out. You meet lots of engineers in the back country.
Risk taking adrenaline rush? No, that's never really been a part of it for me.

All the above?
My responses. Others will be different.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.