Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

55,152 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Guad above Canyon, Colorado above Buchanan, Pedernales going into Travis to name a few.

Oh and the San Gabriel/Georgetown, Yegua/Somerville, etc.
ive caught some nice white bass just below the canyon lake damn

Then a cop gave me a warning for being on the wrong side of the fence on the rocks.
SanAntoneAg
AG
One dark and cold January afternoon my brother and I were down there on the rocks where we shouldn't have been and put several nice stripers and a big blue cat on the stringer and then home for the freezer. We were throwing big white Sassy Shad type baits.
SanAntoneAg
AG
We run into a lot of folks fishing the run on the Amistad tributaries who are from Odessa, Midland, San Angelo, etc.
Nosh
Hot on Falcon right now. Also saw them destroying the water on Somerville last weekend.

https://imgur.com/a/gcRzNbx
AgGrad99
AG
If anyone knows they're biting at Reimers in a month or so...or Georgetown area...please let us know.

I've timed it poorly the past couple of years and really want to hit them with my boys this year.
iPanic
AG
Has anyone fished the pedernales/lake travis area in the past during the run?

I am going to give it a shot soon.
JFrench
AG
Hit Peach Creek in Splendora this past weekend and caught one.

First bald eagle sighting though. Got to watch it come in and hang out on big dead pine for 5 mins.
A.G.S.
AG
Nosh said:

Hot on Falcon right now. Also saw them destroying the water on Somerville last weekend.

They out on the open water at Somerville or up the creeks?

Seems early for em to run up stream, but with temps and water levels what they've been ya never know I guess.
AgGrad99
AG
iPanic said:

Has anyone fished the pedernales/lake travis area in the past during the run?

I am going to give it a shot soon.
Yes. Reimers Ranch is a great spot, if you time it right.

Also, the river between HWY 71 and Pace Bend Park is good, if you can find a decent spot.

Typically it's the end of Feb, Early March when they run.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Not to defer from the knowledge base here but frequent updates and reports (sometimes daily) are posted up on the Texas Fishing Forum.
JD05AG
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Any decent options in West Texas?
Oak Creek Lake south of Blackwell, but they're not running yet. Also, I'm going to bet with as much water as Spence caught it should be good this year too.
Nosh
Open water.
A.G.S.
AG
Nosh said:

Open water.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Have you scoped out the creeks at all? Normally my late season duck hunts are also pre-spawning scouting trips, but I didn't get to go out there this year.
Nosh
Wish I could say I have. I'll keep my ear on the ground though.
WestTexasAg
AG
JD05AG said:

WestTexasAg said:

Oak Creek Lake south of Blackwell, but they're not running yet. Also, I'm going to bet with as much water as Spence caught it should be good this year too.
Thanks. Might give those a shot.
bmac_aggie18
AG
In the DFW area I've pulled loads of limits out of Rowlett & Muddy Creek (Ray Hubbard), and Pecan Creek (Lewisville)
AggieArcher17
AG
Anyone know about Lake Whitney or Pat Cleburne? I'll be in Cleburne for a wedding in a few weeks and would love to kill a few hours fishing some new water over there.
Nosh
UPDATE! Hitting in the creeks around Somerville. Hot on white spinners and lipless red eye shadow.
RP
AG
I'm looking to get into this on the San Gabriel in the Georgetown area, but I've never been before. A little googling suggests Tejas Camp as a potential location. Can anyone shed light on specific places to hit on the San Gabriel around Georgetown? Anyone know the location of "the steps"? I've seen that mentioned while googling as well.

Thanks.
WestTexasAg
AG
JD05AG said:

WestTexasAg said:

Drove by Oak Creek this weekend. Water level was higher than I expected.
Joe Exotic
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Anyone know about Lake Whitney or Pat Cleburne? I'll be in Cleburne for a wedding in a few weeks and would love to kill a few hours fishing some new water over there.

If you're in that area you might consider 377 & 1187 where the trinity dumps into lake benbrook.
JD05AG
AG
WestTexasAg said:

JD05AG said:

WestTexasAg said:

Drove by Oak Creek this weekend. Water level was higher than I expected.

It's been going over the spillway since October.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I've hooked into White Bass on Twin Buttes. Another is up the Pecos off 90 near the border. One of my favorite memories with my dad was in high school fishing up in the canyons off the Pecos on a long weekend. Had a wind up radio and all we could get was music from across the border. You could see every star the sky.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The Steps are on the San Gabriel above Lake Granger. You'll find it easy enough. Look for all the cars and trucks!
Gig 'em! '90
AGeng25
AG
Nosh said:

UPDATE! Hitting in the creeks around Somerville. Hot on white spinners and lipless red eye shadow.
Pretty broad area. Care to elaborate with more specifics?
K_P
AG
planning a trip up to Livingston this year - in for updates!
jellycheese
AG
Going to start hitting Lake Houston later in the week/weekend. I'll be doing my best from the banks near River Grove Park in Kingwood.
sjislepilot
AG
Went to Somerville on Sunday. Lots of water as others have noted. Was gonna launch my 16' fiberglass bass boat and went to overlook, yegua, and Welch. Boat ramp at overlooks was open. I paid for it. Then went to launch. No way. No incline. It's still way up. Would have had to put the truck underwater to get it to float.

So went back to Welch and was able to launch of the corner or the used to be Ramp. Was able to get it to float. Would love to report on fishing but spent most of the time trying to make sure my 2YO didn't fall overboard and had some battery/boat issues. On the helix I was picking up lots of bait at the mouth of the yegua with a few hard returns of bigger fish.

Anyway there was probably 30 vehicles at the dam/spillway. And probably that many people fishing it at least. Not sure how they were doing. I refuse to fish from the shore now that I live the yacht life.
allMondjoy
Up Nails Creek at Sommy was hot Sunday.
Can't wait for my annual slaughter of huge WB on Sabine north of TBend
bbs822001
AG
Anybody know about Navasota in Groesbeck
jt2hunt
AG
Any pointers for pecan creek at lake Lewisville?
Bank fishing?
Entry points?
Thanks
ought1ag
AG
Dads buddy went to choke last Thursday and counted 28 boats at the 99 boat ramp...........guess someone is catching some there.

*** side note - please have your affairs in order before you back down the boat ramp.......they should make you sign a waiver agreeing to this before you can get a fishing license and if you break the agreement then we impound your boat for a year!!***
ElAmericano
bump
jarz94
AG
I can personally confirm that white bass are not at the San Gabriel steps outside of Circleville. Still a little too early
WestTexasAg
AG
I'm guessing it is still too cold up here on the high plains.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.