Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019: The Year of the Revolver

24,632 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've carried (and competed with) all kinds of guns over the years. Glocks, 1911s, Revolvers, CZs, Sigs, etc. Heck, my first carry gun when I didn't shoot much or know much was a Taurus.

For 2019, I'm doing something a little different. Unless I'm teaching a class and need to shoot a semi auto for demonstration purposes, my firearms goal for next year is to only carry and compete with revolvers (minus Cola Warrior).

Why? Lots of reasons.

Competition has been great for learning how to handle stress, moving with and shooting a firearm while under pressure, and making shoot/no shoot decisions rapidly. It has also made me a little more careless with my shot placement, since a fast A and C zone hit are sometimes better than two slow As when it comes to competition scoring. I also have a tendency to "quit early" and start looking for the next target before I finish a trigger pull right now, leading to more Cs and Ds than I want, and outright misses in steel matches.

Long, DA revolver triggers should help force me to finish a shot and get both sight pictures before moving on to the next target. USPSA arrays are also by rule limited to requiring no more than 8 shots from any single position (thanks 1911 guys). I'll be shooting an 8 shot revolver in USPSA, so any miss forces a flat footed, long reload...which is death to a good run time. That stage design is really going to force me to realign my focus away from speed and towards accuracy, something I'd like to get back in touch with.

As an instructor, it's rare that anyone is only interested in learning how to shoot a revolver these days, but it would be nice if I had a little more experience with revolvers than "yeah, I'll throw this J frame in my pocket occasionally and shoot maybe 200 rounds a year through it" to share on that front if someone was only interested in learning how to shoot and carry a wheel gun.

So, lots of good reasons to spend a year getting to know the wheel gun a little better.

These four guns are what I'll be spending the year with (LCRx isn't here yet and not pictured):

S&W 627: 8 shot .357 N Frame, 4" barrel. It takes moon clips, which is what I'll be using in competition for it. For competition I'll be using a Speed Beez OWB kydex holster and 8 post moon clip carrier. For carry I've got a Galco leather OWB holster and a speed beez speedloader.

S&W Model 10: 6 shot .38 K frame, 4" barrel. Not cut for moon clips. The 627 is not IDPA legal, so this will be my primary IDPA gun, using Safariland Comp 3s to reload it. This one is used and has an unknown number of rounds through it already. I'll use a comp tac kydex OWB holster for it in competition, and have a JM Kydex AIWB holster for when I carry it. Comp 3s will be used for concealed carry reload as well as in competition.

S&W 637: 5 shot .38 J frame, 1.8" barrel. Also not cut for moons. I'll be carrying this when I can't manage to conceal anything else, but I also want to compete with it some, so I'll bust it out for both some IDPA Back Up Gun stuff and some steel challenge. I'll probably use Speed Beez speed loaders for it during both competition and carry. Don't have a competition holster for it yet, but do have both IWB and pocket holsters for it from Desantis for carry that both work really well.

Ruger LCRx: 5 shot. 38, 3" barrel. I wanted at least one Ruger in the mix, and this one was the most interesting to me. I wish it was a 6 shot, but a 3" barrel and adjustable sights are both huge pluses. I plan on using this in the same BUG and Steel challenge matches I shoot the 637 in, because I'd love to compare and contrast the 3" barrel gun and the "true" snub nose S&W in both accuracy and speed. Other than that, I'm curious to see what niche I find for this oddball.

*not my photo or gun*

I hope at the end of the year to have a better appreciation for and understanding of the double action trigger, the difficulties of revolver reloading, a better eye for stage planning, and to be a more accurate and deliberate shooter. I'll keep yall updated.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Not to detail your fine post Bender but Academy has Heritage .22 revolvers for $99 through tomorrow (Saturday, Dec. 22).

Fun guns, made in 'merica.
fourth deck
AG
If you desire 6 shots in the LCR family, it comes chambered in .327 federal magnum (yes I know ammo is $$$)
BenderRodriguez
AG
fourth deck said:

If you desire 6 shots in the LCR family, it comes chambered in .327 federal magnum (yes I know ammo is $$$)

Yeah, expensive ammo is a problem for a gun for me. I may actually keep track of live rounds fired this year, but I know I broke 5,000 this year and I didn't even compete for about 4-5 months.

Kept everything .38 for simplicity's sake. Still looking forward to wringing out the LCR.
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm a year ahead of you. Mainly because I watched Justified.

You'd like it if you haven't seen it.
Eliminatus
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

fourth deck said:

Yeah, expensive ammo is a problem for a gun for me. I may actually keep track of live rounds fired this year, but I know I broke 5,000 this year and I didn't even compete for about 4-5 months.

Kept everything .38 for simplicity's sake. Still looking forward to wringing out the LCR.

Sounds like someone is primed to start looking at casting and reloading...
agsalaska
CactusThomas
AG
Do you have any interest in single action revolvers?

I love both but prefer single action.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Had one. Sold it.

Much prefer the modern revolvers.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I've watched it. I thought he used a Glock.

It's been a while. Good show though.
lexofer
AG
Bah, not even Jerry Miculek shoots revolvers anymore.

Now that Dissident 3 Gun is shut down I might shoot some USPSA again for practice. Not revolver division though, 6-8 shots with a DA trigger pull just looks frustrating.
BenderRodriguez
AG
lexofer said:

Bah, not even Jerry Miculek shoots revolvers anymore.

I'm def putting a one year time limit on this dumb idea.
MouthBQ98
AG
Might have to get one.
Towns03
AG
I'm interested in selling this:
S&W 438 Airweight Bodyguard .38 +p revolver. 1 7/8" barrel, 5-shot. I doubt I've put 50 rounds through this thing. perfect condition with box.

it sounds like it might be up your alley. BO
BenderRodriguez
AG
Towns03 said:

it sounds like it might be up your alley. BO

I think I'm going to stick with the 4 I already have for this experiment, baring broken guns/other issues that convince me to buy another.

Thanks though.
cochrum
AG
I carry a s&w 686+ 3in barrel all day and everyday. It's a little heavy but extremely comfortable and my choice of carry. I have a glock 19 w/zev trigger and custom grip but i still love my revolver more. I had a trigger job done on it by Ten ring precision and it is smooth.

My next revolver i want is the S&W 586 L comp from the performance center.
BenderRodriguez
AG
cochrum said:

My next revolver i want is the S&W 586 L comp from the performance center.

Those are good looking guns.

I thought I wanted one until I looked up the weight....dang things are almost 40 oz empty.

I don't think my Glock 17 fully loaded, with a red dot, magwell and a light weights 40 oz.
AstroAggie15
AG
No mention of a colt cobra?
BenderRodriguez
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Buy me one and I'll be happy to report on it as much as you'd like.
cochrum
AG
The weight is really not that bad. Im 5'11 and 220lbs and it is very comfortable.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AstroAggie15 said:

Buy me one and I'll be happy to report on it as much as you'd like.

Last I checked, EyeGuy had one in the store. Not sure if he still has it, but call him and see.
SoTxAg
AG
Nice looking guns. Being the son of a cop, the grandson of a sheriff and nephew of a different sheriff, who all carried revolvers otj, i'll always have a soft spot for revolvers. .357 magnum is my preferred caliber simply because it's what i grew up with.
BenderRodriguez
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Last I checked, EyeGuy had one in the store. Not sure if he still has it, but call him and see.

I think I've got a good variety for my purposes for the year (barring something breaking or other unforeseen stuff).

If I add anything else at all, it'll probably be a 3" LCRx in .22, if I like the one in .38. I really enjoy being able to shoot 22 for training. Ammo adds up.
FIDO 96
AG
If you are thinking of adding a wheel gun, consider the Ruger GP100 over a new S&W.
CactusThomas
AG
I strongly prefer the security/speed/service six guns over the gp100. But I like the Smith's better anyway for double action.
TheVarian
AG
How expensive are the 5/6 other calibers you can shoot out of the .327 chamber?
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheVarian said:

How expensive are the 5/6 other calibers you can shoot out of the .327 chamber?

Don't know. Doesn't matter.

Keeping everything .38 allows me to do a couple of things:

1) Hopefully find a single load that everything likes okay and just buy a crap ton of it.
2) eliminate one variable (different ammo) when comparing my timed/scored drills with different guns.

It's not finalized, but preliminary plan is to shoot a "standards" course of fire once every month. They have a mix of accuracy, speed, movement, and reloads. Some test only one or two, some test all four.

I'd like to be able to compare how I do with the different guns, as well as track improvement over the year. For example, one drill is a 50 round, 500 point drill shot on B8 targets at 15 yards. I'm curious to see the difference in my scores between the 4" 627 with good sights and my 1.8" 637 with your typical crap snubnose sights on drills like that.

An LCRx in .38 allows me to compare the difference between a more traditional snubnose in the 637 and a 3" gun in the LCR. How much more accuracy can I wring out of a gun with an extra inch of sight radius? Is there enough of one to warrant trying to carry the bigger gun?

Getting another caliber thrown into the mix isn't productive for that.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Alright, got my plan for the standards drills. Lots of them are inspired (read: taken straight from) a PatMac class I took earlier this month. If you ever get the chance to take a class from him, highly, highly recommend. What I was looking for was a set of drills to measure improvement over the course of the year. I will shoot it with all 4 guns every month. January will be shot with little to no revolver practice to set a baseline.

This is what I've come up with.

5 second standards. Target: IPSC Silhouette. Start at 7 yards. Fire two shots from low ready with 5 second par time. Fire 2 shots from the holster, then 2 shots from the holster strong hand only. 5 second par time for each. Only A zone hits count. Anything else=failed drill. If you pass at 7 yards, move back to 10 and repeat. Then 15, 20, 25, etc until failure.

500 point standard. Target: 2 NRA B8 targets. At 15 yards, fire 10 rounds with both hands, 10 strong hand only, 10 weak hand only. No time limit. Add up points out of 300. Next string on second target: From a holster at 15 yards, 10 rounds in 30 seconds. Then, 10 rounds in 15 seconds. Add up points out of 200, combine two targets for total points, max is 500.

Modifying the 500 point standard a bit for a revolver. I'm testing reloads in other drills and this one is all about accuracy at speed. So I'm going to fire the timed strings like this: Fire until empty on a timer. Subtract time taken from 30 or 15 second limits to set a new max par time, reload, finish course of fire. That way I still have 15 seconds to complete my 10 round course of fire, without using 2-3 seconds of it for a reload. I'll be timing reloads on other drills.

Reloads. Target: IPSC Silhouette. 7 yards. On timer, draw and shoot until empty. Reload, and repeat. Any hit outside A zone=failure. Record total time. (added a reload to a Bill Drill, and changed from 6 rounds to whatever capacity is for that revolver)

Wilson 5x5. Target; IPSC Silhouette. 10 yards. 4 strings. 1st string: draw, 5 to body. 2nd: draw, 5 to body strong hand only. 3rd: Draw, 5 to body, reload, 5 more to body. 4th: Draw, fire 4 to body 1 to head. Add all strings for total time. C is +1 second, D or head is +2, miss is +5.

Modified Close Speed Drill: Langdon's 9 shot close speed drill modified for revolver. 3 IPSC targets shoulder to shoulder. 2 yards. Engage single shot left to right, then right to left, then head left to right again until out of ammo. Record time. Only A zone hits count.

These should give me a good idea of what I'm improving on, what I need to focus harder on, and the difference between what I can do with a 4" revolver and good sights and a J frame and crap sights.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Christmas came a little early!

TK Moon loader, demooning tool and some VZ grips for the N frame.

JSKolache
AG
Nah, maybe 1919
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I never had much luck w. my TK... Can't remember the name, but I had a loader for my 625 which looked a bit like an octopus... I bent parts of my TK trying to load 357 brass, which was apparently too thick, into a moon clip...
BenderRodriguez
AG
JSKolache said:

Nah, maybe 1919

There are absolutely drawbacks. But I think there are some things to be learned/gained from using mostly revolvers for a year. We'll see how I'm feeling about that next December.
BenderRodriguez
AG
My 3" LCRx showed up.

Without its rear sight. o.O

I'll reach out to Ruger on Monday.

Once it has a compete set of sights I think I'm going to like this little gun.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Reached out to Ruger CS today. Rear sight on the way. Heading out of town this week, so I'll have videos of first drills up by the end of next weekend, hopefully.
AggieMPH2005
I don't have too much to add to this thread other than I like revolvers too and that my first gun purchase of 2019 is likely to be a revolver: either a GP 100 in 44 special or S&W Model 69.

Please keep updating this as the year goes on. I know I need to excercise my 642 more often than I do and this is a good reminder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.