Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019/2020 Elk/Mule Deer/Bear Hunt

2,352 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tx-Ag2010
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My brother is getting married in January 2020 and we (me, 2 brothers, and dad) would like to go on a nice hunt to celebrate. I'd love to get a monster elk but given that we are limited on freezer (and wall space). I think it would be best if we could do a combo hunt with each of us going after a different species.

I hope to poll the all knowing OB, otherwise I will make a road trip to the Dallas Safari Club in January to see what is offered.

I think we would all prefer horseback hunts, but given enough time could get in shape for other hunts.

We are open to hunting just about anywhere in the US as long as the outfitters are worth it.

TIA...
nonameag99
FSGuide
I know a great outfitter in Wyoming that does Mulie & Elk at the same time during early season. Back country camp, riding horses & mules all day. Later in the year you can do Mulie & Elk & Pronghorn with him too. Only bad thing is, he's always booked up a couple seasons ahead of time.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
If you don't mind sharing the contact I'll look into them. Our dates are somewhat flexible as this is something we have been talking about doing for years but never found the time.
Arctic Ag
AG
Unless you have lots of preference points, you'll be looking for a really lucky draw or an outfitter with landowner tags in most states.

Get ready to lay down some cash, cut a trip like that won't be cheap, but it'll sure be fun.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
We are budgeting around $6k for the trip for elk but this isn't a hard ceiling depending on what the specific outfitter can offer.
FirefightAg
AG
N/M question answered. 6k each ?Alaska might be a good spot to look?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
FirefightAg said:

What's your budget? Alaska might be an option, and as others mentioned PPs and money will be required but I'm sure you knew that or wouldn't be asking

We don't have a ton of preference points so are more than likely looking at private land (which probably means more money).

We have looked at doing an OTC tag in Colorado but given our inexperience hunting the mountains we figured it would be best to do a fully guided trip first.
FSGuide
Tx-Ag2010 said:

If you don't mind sharing the contact I'll look into them. Our dates are somewhat flexible as this is something we have been talking about doing for years but never found the time.

https://www.livingston-hunts.com

I've hunted with him twice for Mulies. I didn't kill deer either time but that is on me, I was being too picky. My buddy went with me for the 2nd trip and he got a nice buck. Lee and his son are at the DSC every year. I always stop by to say hi and drink a beer with him.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I'll look into them. That definitely looks like the kind of hunting we are looking for.

How many preference points do you need to get a good unit in Wyoming?
Arctic Ag
AG
Fully guided in Alaska will vary by species, but everything I've seen starts at $10-12 k per person. You can definitely do a DIY hunt up here, but it requires lots of research, good gear, and great timing.

All the "good" units I've been to in WY take a minimum of 5 points, so unless you have some already, you're probably not going to get them before 2020.

Not trying to be a downer....just realistic.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thanks. We don't currently have any preference points outside of Colorado and only a couple there. For this reason I think we will be pretty much stuck with private land on with our timeline.

I'm planning on applying for several different states this year (to start setting up hunts in 5-10 years).

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Also curious if anyone has and recommendations for units/states to start collecting preference points on? I'm planning on doing a bunch of research over the next couple months but figured there would be folks here that would know where to start looking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.