Outdoors
Sponsored by

First Game Warden Encounter of the Year

2,178 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
20 birds into the hunt, with a four man group, we look up and see someone walking through the pond in hip waders at about 200-300 yards. We made that trek in the dark and it was not fun with sleds and our gear. The rain on Friday has the pond right at knee deep and another 6" or so of nasty mud. It is not fun to walk in.

We have no reason to be worried... all birds are strapped properly and no one is over the limit. All licenses and plugs are present.

While he's walking up, this pintail drake keeps buzzing us and I keep telling the young man hunting with my on the right, if he buzzes us one more time, shoot him.

To give you an idea, the Warden was walking in from 12 o'clock and the pintail would buzz at 3. On the final pass the Warden was only 75 yards from us and I told him to send it. He didn't disappoint and dropped the pintail with the game Warden walking up.

I was a little worried he might not be happy about it but seeing this young man shoot his first pintail was a risk worth taking. To my surprise, he was tickled and glad he got him. Checked all of our gear, licenses, shotguns for plugs and then off he went. Nice guy!

Separate note, we were all huffing and puffing on the trek out in the morning... this guy didn't even look tired. Pretty impressive! First time I have had one walk out to the blind instead of driving up on ATV or meeting at the gate. Anyways, cool story bro...
FirefightAg
AG
Sounds like he was in shape. But I wish I could walk into all my duck spots gearless. I might still have a back.
LEJ
That's a good game warden.
Post removed:
by user
matthewj042
AstroAggie15
AG
Got a good friend who is a warden across the other side of the Sabine.

Those guys are built. They look like seals
LSB_2002
AG
Pics of ducks or this thread is worthless!
AgsMnn
AG
Was there a camera crew for Lone Star Law?

PANHANDLE10
I had a good run in with one last weekend. Almost every game warden run in I have ever had has been good.

Walking in is a thing with some of those guys. We have one up here that told me he will park over a mile away from a deer camp and walk in quietly. He is old school.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Haha no, unfortunately... I would be boring if I were on camera and probably wouldn't make it anyways. It seems like you have to be breaking the law to make it.
suburban cowboy
AG
One of the three game wardens in our county is our neighbor and an Aggie.

Of the other two, one's wife is an Aggie who I know and the other just bought land from a friend of ours.
water turkey
Robo game warden?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Glad it went well! Was afraid this was going to be a bad situation. Good Bull!
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.