Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best OB Threads

5,449 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sunchaser
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kiara

All of my surprise toe threads.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The guy that flew into an alaskan hunt for buffalo solo, then rafted out, flipped the raft, lost the head and almost died.
FSGuide
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The guy that flew into an alaskan hunt for buffalo solo, then rafted out, flipped the raft, lost the head and almost died.

I was telling someone about this the other day. Epic story right there.
AgEng06
AG

GatorAg... 03? I think. That was an epic story.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The one about Deadliest Catch was really interesting too.
WhoopN06

Don't remember this one.

There used to be an OB wiki/reference thread stickies to the top. I can't remember who put it together but it had most of these threads in it.

Found this one. Not sure if it's the most recent

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1834926
WhoopN06
Yes it was. birdman I believe used to work on a crab boat. Such a great thread for fans of that show.
sunchaser
AG
Sort of. He was a liaison between the Feds and the Fishing industry. Was back and forth on all types of boats, crab, cod, cannery, mother ships. Worked out of Hawaii & Alaska ....and one of the posters that no longer posts.

I liked this thread. Lot's of sane discussion for the most part. I think people with separate opinions gained some knowledge about how things can be interpreted.

There are a whole lot of old threads like this.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2582392/1
WhoopN06
Thank you! I didn't realize that was the case. I had assumed he was a fisherman.
Tumble Weed
Dear jackass in the POS pickup on Peach Creek in CS

It was only 12 pages long, but it was pretty entertaining.
chocolatelabs
AG
The 87 flyfisher auction was great. Lots of good people helped out an Ag in need
redag06
Why did he delete the story ? Wanted to reread that epic hunt.
sunchaser
AG
Lot's of really good threads over the years. It's hard for me to go back and pull some up as I have posted for a long time.

IMO the truly great one was the "Picture Thread" that AC started in a blowing snow storm. Some fantastic photos showed up by some great Outdoor Board photographers. Sadly the last time I looked at it the changes in hosting companies etc led to the loss of many pictures.

I and other's still get Sean98's pics and tales of his exploits via text and email. Great for us but a loss for the Outdoor Board.

To me the backbone of the Outdoor Board has been the posters that take the time to cover an event and we get to share in that event with them after the fact. The loss of them IMO has led to our current status.

There is an old saying and to me it describes what has happened over the last few years.

"You can take a gallon of good homemade ice cream and put a tablespoon of **** in it and quickly discover that it didn't effect the taste of the **** one bit!"
AggieChemist
AG
sunchaser said:

Lot's of really good threads over the years. It's hard for me to go back and pull some up as I have posted for a long time.

IMO the truly great one was the "Picture Thread" that AC started in a blowing snow storm. Some fantastic photos showed up by some great Outdoor Board photographers. Sadly the last time I looked at it the changes in hosting companies etc led to the loss of many pictures.

I and other's still get Sean98's pics and tales of his exploits via text and email. Great for us but a loss for the Outdoor Board.

To me the backbone of the Outdoor Board has been the posters that take the time to cover an event and we get to share in that event with them after the fact. The loss of them IMO has led to our current status.

There is an old saying and to me it describes what has happened over the last few years.

"You can take a gallon of good homemade ice cream and put a tablespoon of **** in it and quickly discover that it didn't effect the taste of the **** one bit!"
I second this.

Bringing great content to the board takes effort. You honestly have to think about sharing it as you're doing it. Snap pics of all the little things that add to the experience, and just tell the story with a little flair when you get home.

I like to sit down with a bourbon after I get a hot shower and upload my pics and then hit the OB.

It takes time, and it takes effort, and not everyone is willing to do it.

And honestly, I do it less and less all the time around here. Sometimes I just don't feel like it anymore. I'll spend a half hour to start a thread just to read fifteen tired jokes about bait. It was funny the first few hundred times...
WhoopN06
This is going to be a goal for the next year.
ratfacemcdougal
They are just jealous (me too), but letting you know that they saw and appreciated your time, effort and post. Would you be happier if everybody looked at your post and never commented?
gwellis
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Oh, and Ryan's steakhouse
Epic!!!
Gil '91
gwellis
AG
sunchaser said:

Just for you from this year.....change up right down the middle...

The one in the middle is a big ole boy.
Gil '91
AggieChemist
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

They are just jealous (me too), but letting you know that they saw and appreciated your time, effort and post. Would you be happier if everybody looked at your post and never commented?
I don't mind the bait comments, but it does get tired. Just trying to share a kind of fishing that not a lot of people on here have experience with.

And I understand that it's not for everyone... hell, 20 years ago I never imagined I'd hike ten miles to catch a 10" fish and throw it back.

But it gets in your blood. And everyone on this board has a standing invite to come do it with me.
WhoopN06
Keeping posting the stories. Back country fly fishing is awesome. We're just jealous we can't do it in Texas.
schmellba99
AG
The "What's Good In Life" thread was always one I liked too
schmellba99
AG
sunchaser said:

Hunting stories threads started getting fewer and fewer a few years back because, like clockwork, every one of them ended up being a "bash the OP for not hunting the way that I think they should hunt" thread. After a handful of them, people just got to where they didn't post them anymore because getting kicked in the stones by a bunch of random internet posters isn't worth tarnishing a good hunt or memory over.

Sad, because there were some good threads over the years documenting various hunts. I lived vicariously through several posters on those threads while my hunting was more limited than it is even now.
ratfacemcdougal
AggieChemist said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

I don't mind the bait comments, but it does get tired. Just trying to share a kind of fishing that not a lot of people on here have experience with.

I understand. To me the 'dikfer' is tired but will always show up, and some will laugh their A off every time. I do have to laugh at some of the fly fish terms though such as "strike indicator" vs "bobber"
RCR06
AG
I'm with you on the bait comments. Gets a little old.

Last year I went with DVM97 to his Mexico deer lease to give him a hand and to see why he goes to Mexico to deer hunt. In my write up I talked about the number of gates we had to go through to add a little humor. Now people bring it up everytime he posts about hunting trips to Mexico. He's on a new lease from what I understand with only a couple gates and people still bring it up. Its doubtful it affected people buying hunts from him, but maybe. I know it's just giving him a hard time and nothing personal, but makes me really think before I post something now.
bassmaster07
AG
Sorry for the bait jokes. I really like your fishing posts.
sunchaser
AG
.....and for the record Sean98 didn't leave because I sent him a certified blow up slump buster. He was miffed that she was a blonde rather than dark brown.

Boy howdy did I have a couple of good years before he caved and she came out from under the bed.
He twanged that one he had named and my fun was over....
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.