Outdoors
Sponsored by

in progress projects

6,451 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have about 5 projects going on at the moment, just phasing them so that I can do the major steps of multiple projects on the same machine at the same time to minimize setup/breakdown steps.

I had an idea for a desk that was kind of a simple modern twist, but gave me a nice blank slate to try some new ideas on the panels.

One desk will have the panels from a few boards I resawed in to veneers. they are claro walnut crotch, so some great character:

before I cut up:

Cut in to 1/8" thick veneers and backed:

the side panels are bookmatched:

The second desk I had an idea a few months ago, so I cut up a bunch of slices of mesquite in to end-grain chips. Dried those, then am doing a flagstone pattern on the panels.

The 'grout' gaps will be filled in with black epoxy. Those were a complete pain in the butt to make and get the spacing just right... but I think it is pretty cool.
AgsMnn
AG
Fabulous like always.
Ag00Ag
AG
Since your here Agrams...

Any tips on drying Sycamore? I've milled and dried Mesquite, Black Walnut and one very large Texas Persimmon, and so far I have been very happy....but they're all very stable woods.

Going to cut down a big Sycamore in a few weeks.

I've heard that Sycamore, although pretty stable once dry, can be tricky in the drying process. I'm planning to quartersaw into 12/4 slabs (all my wood is quartersawn), seal the ends of course and once on stickers with tension straps around, they will dry in my garage for about 3 years before resawing.

Anything else I should know?

ratfacemcdougal
agrams....the ONLY poster that has officially been authorized by Staff to post on the Outdoor forum.
agrams
AG
Ag00Ag: I have turned and dried sycamore bowls in the past, but never slabbed or milled it. Looking at its shrinkage numbers, it looks pretty average (in line with cherry/walnut/etc). I wish I knew more or could help. Sometimes I have heard from mills that tough-to-dry woods are better left in log form for 3-6 months before they are slabbed with ends sealed in that meantime. But that is all anecdotal.

On a fun note, the slab for the walnut desk: It is claro walnut and figured throughout.

agrams
AG
got the claro desk framed up:

and I also am doing a variation of it in mesquite, but doing the panels from end grain mesquite cut in a flag stone pattern with black epoxy.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Do you have an Instagram, if not you should I bet it would be damn impressive to follow along on these projects. Just my .02
AggieMarkSA
Love these threads!
HowdyTexasAggies
jmm
The end grain pieces of mesquite remind me of George Strait's house in San Antonio. I was at his house and his first floor floors were all end grain mesquite pieces with the ends fit very tightly. Very high polish. It looked great. This was in the late 1980's.
Cornutum92
AG
I love to read your threads and see the progression of projects.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wow as usual
agrams
AG
I don't have an instagram page. I do have a facebook page (facebook.com/grams.woodworks) that I post a lot of my stuff on. I usually don't post many pictures of stuff in progress (mainly just the finished products) but I may keep this thread updated if people are interested.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Wood
bassmaster07
AG
Um, yes we are interested!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I love watching stuff in progress. So if you get an Instagram I'm there, I'll check out your Facebook though and this thread is already watchlisted...

A good portion of my Instagram is following woodworkers. Then friends, then guns....then chicks with guns
suburban cowboy
AG
I want to buy a desk from you someday
clarythedrill
Agrams, have you ever done any of the live edge epoxy table tops? I have been watching youtube videos of them and they look pretty cool, and is something I am thinking of doing myself. If so, are they as easy as they look in the videos?
agrams
AG
as if I dont have enough irons in the fire, I'm also making 2 pair of sliding barn doors from walnut slabs. this is one of the bigger slabs. 27" wide and 104" tall, there will be two bookmatched for a pair of doors. I had to break out the router bridge to flatten one side.

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I know it is not your intent Agrams, but I feel completely worthless after seeing your work.
Please continue to share though, because one of these days I hope to own one of your works.
You have a extreme talent in the art of woodworking.
K_P
AG
Looks awesome!
agrams
AG
christmas wood!

Made my youngest boy his big-boy bed. The headboard and footboard are from a cherry tree I got off my uncles land in east texas.

The middle drawers are also cherry, but were milled 3/4" thick and had about 6 months of aging/oxidation, so they are a few steps ahead in color change. Ultimately everything on the bed will age to that color. Cherry is one of the biggest UV/oxidation color changing woods out there.

I also got some good husband points for christmas gifts. I saved the trunk from our previous christmas tree in 2015, dried them, and turned them in to small trees for the two boys to paint and give to Mom as a christmas gift.

Gibbs Slap
ratfacemcdougal
Love the bed
Oogway
Those trees are charming, and as a Mom, I can say I am always happy when my spouse and children give me things they have worked together on to make. Priceless.

Also love the bed.
agrams
AG
lots of dovetails on drawers.... extremely tedious..
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
chiken
AG
I LOVE the look of those end grains. That would be an amazing coffee table or end tables.
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Happy customer right here!
agrams
AG
finished up the mesquite tile desk, just a few minor fittings on the drawer guides left. I have some handles coming in this week that I will mount, but I am still up in the air on what style of handle will work best.

Most everything I do is commissioned, but this is one of the few projects I have done that is for stock. I may use it as my desk, but will probably list it on my page for sale and stick it in the corner of my office until someone buys it.

I did do a few new things on this desk. I switched the drawer sides from poplar to soft maple. I like the cleaner look of the maple, it is a bit harder, and takes a finish better. This is also the first I have done with the side runners and half blind dovetails. This lets me do wood runners for the drawers and utilize the full height of the drawer space. Normal runners make you use about 1/2-3/4" of an inch between each drawer - space i didn't want to give up for this piece.
agrams
AG
got the handles in, I think they work pretty well:
agrams
AG
Got the second desk done, and already framing up the third so start sanding/finishing on in the next few days.

Same style as the mesquite, but the panels and top are from 4 sequence cut boards of claro walnut with some awesome figure and character.

agrams
AG
The next desk top in progress. It is a big claro walnut slab with some crazy character:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.