Outdoors
Sponsored by

Deer down

2,384 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by matthewj042
Tex Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally getting around to posting my deer

Been hunting our place in Hamilton county since I was in high school. Didn't really have a lot of deer until the last several years. Family farm for generations. Starting to get some good deer move in. When I was a kid, deer would just pass through. Now we have residents.
I don't have a lot of pressure from neighbors, but there is a little amount of hunting. I'm not sure how managemt conscious they are. I am beginning to do more corn feeding. I'm still trying to find the best spots for stands. I really could stand to have about 5-6 blinds put up, but I'm not spending that kind of money yet.

Looking back I would've done some things different.
When I saw this deer, I never got him to look at me head on. I knew he was a good deer just from how tall his tines were.

Shot him at about 80 yards.
.308 is my caliber of choice

When I got up to him after being elated, I had some disappointment on the width. Why do they always have ground shrinkage?

All in all, I am still happy with this deer. He is going to look great European mounted.

And a great sunset overlooking one of our tanks. Hoping to get another one if I get lucky

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations! Wish I had my own land to hunt... can only imagine how much fun that would be.
agsalaska
AgsMnn
AG
Nice deer.
Milwaukees Best Light
SanAntoneAg
AG
NIce one, congrats!
Tex Aggie
AG
Thanks guys
SteveBott
AG
Nothing wrong with that deer. Congrats!
PFG
AG
Agree with all above. A tall, heavy 8 is one of my favorite deer, regardless of width. Beautiful deer. Congrats!
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
Gibbs Slap
AG
Nice deer. Way to go!!
wheelz
AG
Black face is racist!
Blue Duck
AG
Heck of a deer!
Oogway
Nice deer! Be sure and post photos after you have him mounted.

You mentioned management; that is one thing I miss about Sean98 not posting on Outdoors anymore. Even though he was in Kansas, I really liked reading his posts and pics about how he was working on his land. I find that kind of info fascinating and learn a lot.
Watchful Ag
AG
Great deer and congratulations!
Bob Sympkins
Congrats, buddy!
ZoneClubber
AG

ttt. Quality OB post

Nice deer. Congrats
matthewj042
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.