Outdoors
Sponsored by

Meanwhile... in the Outdoors

4,696 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LEJ
AgLawman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice.
LEJ
texag_89 said:

Lej

You are more brave than I running around on park land with the crazies out there, BUT that is a nice deer and a great deer for that dried up lake turned salt cedar scrub desert out there at Twin Buttes.

Going to be 26 degree 20 miles north In Coke Co Sat morning and there is a real tall 8 with my name on it!

_89

I've read and heard about all the jackassery out there in the past. Many people with poor upbringing have used it as their own personal dumpster and some continue to do so.

I've only run into a handful of real sketchy types. I've actually met quite a few pretty good guys out there that have told me the same stories of past theft, poaching, dumping, drug deals, gang activity... you name it. But to a man, they all say that it's improved tremendously since Texas Parks & Wildlife took over management, which was only 2 years ago.

The lake is now over half full. A guy caught a 13 pound black bass there back in April when it was low. Every time I've hunted, I hear constant shotgun blasts in the distance. There are ducks everywhere this year and it sounds like they're killing a lot of them.

I've got some really nice deer on camera. They're heavily pressured and they know they're being hunted, but it can be done.

The habitat conditions in some areas are terrible but Texas Parks & Wildlife has already started putting APH/LPU permit money back into the place. They spent around 15k clearing/sculpting brush in one of the units and there are more habitat improvement projects in the works.

The head GW out here is damn good and he's got a "new sheriff in town" attitude as it relates to Twin Buttes. He's worked this area for over 20 years so he's well aware of the well deserved reputation that Twin Buttes has. I've been working with him since before I moved here on some trash cleanup projects around and on the lake. We got enough people together back in early August to fill 2 roll off dumpsters full of trash in about 4 hours.

It ain't like it used to be at Twin Buttes. It ain't gonna be like it used to be.
Cuterebra
AG
LEJ said:

Life is still better Outdoors, esp when you accept that everything else ain't like it used to be and it ain't gonna be like it used to be.

Put some blood, sweat and strategy into this one. Public land, heavy pressure, water issues, shotgun sluggers allowed during general season. This one is very rewarding.

I'm gonna relish this one.
I'm surprised you had the strength to draw back on the bow. You look like a stick!
Gibbs Slap
AG
Great job!!
LEJ
Ha. That's funny right there.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Awesome post - really enjoyed reading.
Great deer with a bow on public land...you sir get a tip o' the cap from me for sure!
texag_89
LEJ said:

texag_89 said:

Lej

You are more brave than I running around on park land with the crazies out there, BUT that is a nice deer and a great deer for that dried up lake turned salt cedar scrub desert out there at Twin Buttes.

Going to be 26 degree 20 miles north In Coke Co Sat morning and there is a real tall 8 with my name on it!

_89

I've read and heard about all the jackassery out there in the past. Many people with poor upbringing have used it as their own personal dumpster and some continue to do so.

I've only run into a handful of real sketchy types. I've actually met quite a few pretty good guys out there that have told me the same stories of past theft, poaching, dumping, drug deals, gang activity... you name it. But to a man, they all say that it's improved tremendously since Texas Parks & Wildlife took over management, which was only 2 years ago.

The lake is now over half full. A guy caught a 13 pound black bass there back in April when it was low. Every time I've hunted, I hear constant shotgun blasts in the distance. There are ducks everywhere this year and it sounds like they're killing a lot of them.

I've got some really nice deer on camera. They're heavily pressured and they know they're being hunted, but it can be done.

The habitat conditions in some areas are terrible but Texas Parks & Wildlife has already started putting APH/LPU permit money back into the place. They spent around 15k clearing/sculpting brush in one of the units and there are more habitat improvement projects in the works.

The head GW out here is damn good and he's got a "new sheriff in town" attitude as it relates to Twin Buttes. He's worked this area for over 20 years so he's well aware of the well deserved reputation that Twin Buttes has. I've been working with him since before I moved here on some trash cleanup projects around and on the lake. We got enough people together back in early August to fill 2 roll off dumpsters full of trash in about 4 hours.

It ain't like it used to be at Twin Buttes. It ain't gonna be like it used to be.

Lej,

I appreciate your effort, patience and damn sure appreciate your Jimbo quote to end it above....

BUT

Thank you Lord for your Natural Law which includes man's desire and need of Private Property and Rights thereof!

LEJ...
Since you live in SA now, let me know if I can hook you up on a potential lease, or hell, just a few hunts at the place, on the house, for all the BS you have to go through on Public Land.

You have damn sure earned it.

_89
ironmanag
AG
Very nice buck.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Aggieangler93
AG
Nice to see a good back from public lands.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
cupofjoe04
AG
Good Bull. Stars for you.
LEJ
I appreciate your offer, and I may take you up on it some time. I do have a decent bit of private ground access, so I'm not totally relegated to the public.

TB is right in my backyard now so I'm probably gonna continue to explore it pretty hard.

It's a pretty cool place with lots of potential. Very unique for Texas public.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.